1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus adapter on Panasonic camera

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Luke, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Hi all. Not sure what forum to put this one in. Last fall I bought a used package deal locally for an E-P3 with a bunch of lenses and accesorries. Amongst them, was an Olympus MMF2 - 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter and a 4/3 mount version of the Sigma 105mm 2.8 macro. I only used it once to try it out and make sure it worked. It was super cool. It focused blazingly fast. Nice close focus for macro work and the 2.8 aperture was nice and fast for a lens that long and was quite sharp. That was on the E-P3.

Then I traded the E-P3 for an X100 and kept the lens and adapter for possible use with the Panasonics. I got so busy with the X100 I almost totally forgot about it. Then yesterday, I went a photowalk and figured it might be nice to have a fast tele AND macro to bring along and support the X100. It doesn't work with the Panasonics. It won't even allow me to set the camera to AF. Are these 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapters brand specific? Can anyone with cross brand experience with these adapters chime in?

If it's not going to work, I'll either have to sell the adapter and lens or sell off the Panasonics and buy an Oly.

2. If you're talking about the G1, GF1, GH1, and possibly the G10, then no, they won't focus any 4/3 lenses that weren't designed to work with CDAF. Any Panasonic model after these three should AF all 4/3 lenses the same as the Pen series cameras will. The brand of adapter does not matter.

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Thanks Nic..... I guess my G1 and gf1 are ready for the scrap heap :(

4. I'm not so sure about that; my old clunkers still get the job done :smile:

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    well, I'm joking of course. But then I have this really great lens that I can't use. If there were something native in the current m4/3 line-up it would make it easier to get rid of it.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yup, I agree with you Luke. The body is just an accessory for the lens, so if your body doesn't work with your glass then what good is it?