Olympus, a PM3 Pleeeassse?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tjdean01, May 20, 2015.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    PL1, PL2 and with the PL3 we got a PM1. When the PL5 came we got PM2. Sadly, the PL7 did not bring with it a PM3. The PM2 is just small enough for me to use it as a coat pocket camera; yet it's just big enough to accommodate larger, heavier adapted lenses comfortably. A 135/2.8, for example. I was very happy with its ergonomics.

The PL7 solves my main pet peeves on the PM2: mechanic first curtain that gave me shutter shock and poor implementation of IBIS. Okay, great, almost perfect, now, where's the smaller version without the flippy screen?

I ended up buying a GM1 which also did away with my Olympus pet peeves. It presented a few more, however: fiddly menus, no zoom-in comparison in playback like on most other m4/3s cameras, touchscreen off anyway because I keep bumping it, and mainly, with or without the Hoson grip it's too small to handle large lenses. The grip makes it worse because your fingers get stuck between the grip and the lens. The 15BCL with its ridges actually HURTS my knuckles if I'm using the grip. The Panasonic grip actually looks better but it doesn't have a battery slot or tripod mount. Ugh.

So, GM1 will be good for m4/3s lenses that are small - fisheye, BCLs, 14, 15, 20 (not really, though; it's too wide), 25/1.8, 45, etc. But for adapting, you'll need a PL7. But the PL7 is rather big for when you need it discreet.

Anyway, I'm not really looking for a reply here. Just a rant that I want a PM3!!
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The E-PM2 is a mere 5mm thinner due to lacking the flip screen. That's a lens cap. HxW are about the same. Hardly seems like enough to warrant an extra product line or provide any real world portability benefit.

On the Panasonic Side, the GM1 is significantly smaller in every dimension than the GF6 and the GX7. So it's definitely pulling it's (lack of) weight as a separate category.

If the GM1 is too small and you prefer the size and controls of your Olympus E-Pm2, then I think the E-PL5/6/7 should be a great substitute. E-PL7 is a tiny bit taller with a thicker grip than the PL5/6, but again, not much in the real world.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Actually, it's just the opposite: on paper it looks negligible but in the real world you can feel the difference. Weight is also a factor. The PM2 vs the PL5 is one thing because the PL5 is exactly in the middle of the PM2 and PL7 both size and weight but when it comes to the PM2 vs the PL7 it's quite noticeable. GM1 (or GM5 or GF7 similarly) I say is too small with the Hoson grip I have because there's no room between your finger and the lens but the Panasonic grip looks better (though no slot for batter or tripod, ugh). I'm thinking I'm going to try another grip for the GM1 before selling it because there are things I do like about the little camera. I really want to love it but a good grip and case seem necessary. I actually LOVE the Hoson bottom plate but the grip needs to be moved away from the lens about 1/4" or so. I should try a stick-on grip but they aren't textured like the GM1 and Hoson's grip are. [/QUOTE]
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
  4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I recently came across this interesting-looking option of a GM1 grip from Aki-Asahi. I don't own a GM1 (though I've been considering picking one up), so I can't say how well it performs.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Due to a quirk of fate I have both e-pM2 and e-pL7 right here.
    The sizes are very similar indeed, and the two things that make the e-pL7 slightly larger are both things which are of great benefit : the very nice alloy mode dial ontop and the flippy-uppy-downy screen.
    If it needs to go into a pocket though the e-pM2 would be much better simply from the smoother top surface,
    but there's no guarantee that Olympus won't put the same mode dial ontop of any new e-pL...
    • Like Like x 1
  6. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    In my opinion, the key to using the GM1 is using the touchscreen. With the quick menu, the touchscreen and touch for the focus point, I can change settings as fast as on my button-filled Canon DSLR. The zoom in playback using the touchscreen--spreading your fingers like on a smartphone--works great. I use the P45-150 on it with no grip and no issues. I just cradle the camera/lens in my left hand. This is just my experience, but I encourage you to give the touchscreen another chance and use it long enough to get used to it. It's not like a traditional camera in some respects and it is small which is one of its biggest benefits. But once you get used to it, it's incredibly capable.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ciddi

ciddi Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2013
    Olympus many months ago told PM product line is closed.
  8. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    If you don't mind the build quality, want it to be little bigger than gm1 and lighter, maybe gf7 is right.
  9. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I had this issue with the PM2. PM1 with a custom grip is far better. So if a PM3 comes, allow custom grips please :)
  10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    But the Olympus official screw-on custom grip (which was an awesome idea!) kind of died out when they put the WIFI stuff in that area :(
  11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    The GF7 is actually not a bad option. The only thing it's really missing is the super control panel that is just so handy with the limited control points.