olympus a-28 0.8Xconverter and it effect on the panasonic kit zoom at 14mm

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by cosinaphile, Apr 4, 2010.

1. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    With the 14-45 kit zoom with the a-28 0.8 adapter mounted on the ep1 iso 250 large super fine jpeg,it seems to weighs as much as the kit zoom its on!

its 49 mm thread requires a step ring to attach on the
    52mm filter thread of the panny kit zoom . functions
    autofocuses and balances perfectly of the robustly built panny kit zoom

compare the corner sharpness and evenness of light at the corners with the same photo of the kit zoom at 14mm alone , i think it performs pretty well and widens dramatically i think it brings the 14mm end down to about 11.5 giving a 22\23mm equiv fov

does not work ell at 45mm corners become awful
    but it was not designed for this

i think it was made for the Is series of full frame olympus"bridge" cameras back in the Pleistocene era

the panny kit zoom alone at 14mm

and the kit zoom at 14mm with the olympus A-28 adaspter mounted

• Like Like x 3
  2. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    slight exposure difference i believe are due to program mode seeing more sky in the wider image

didnt want to manipulate them at all .i could have added or reduced exposure but let program do its thing in this case

heres what it look like
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The edge sharpness looks quite good, and it seems a small thing to bring this converter along for the occasional ultrawide photograph. Great find!
  4. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i thought so too , i really wanted the micro 4\3 9-18 and eagerly awaited it, but when i learned it was flimsy collapsible design and 200 dollars more than the nicely made original 4\3 9-18mm i was turned off by it . if the micro 4\3 9-18mm was priced a little lower than the original as it should have been, i probably would have gotten it anyway .

this stopgap solution will have to serve for the time being, it given me a few good images
    at least until i can find a panny 7-14 used at a decent price
  5. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    one thing i neglected to mention is that this optic and a similar 0.7 x optic from the olympus I.S. bridge camera days is available used , i got one at b&h refurb for 19.95 usd and one on ebay for about the same.....

the step ring to allow a 49mm attachment on a 52 mm lens thread was 10 or 15 bucks at b&h if a recall correctly so for 35 bucks or less you can go wider than the kit zoom retaining good iq and af ...... im loving it .

this is a very inexpensive solution for wide angle and the iq is quite good

looking at the 2 images and knowing that the first is an unaltered 14mm panny kit zoom fov , would anyone like to offer an opinion as to what the equiv fov is with the a-28 attachment ?
    i believe its 22mm or 23 mm equiv , but i could be wrong , it might be wider

anyone ? thanks ......
  6. grum

grum Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2010
  7. ryno

ryno Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2010
  8. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    tell the step ring supplier you want to use a 49 mm filter on a 52 mm lens , the adapter

which is the 'filter' is 49 and the 14-45 panny kit zoom has a 52mm filter thread , that should insure you get the correct step ring..... the front optic of the kit zoom is way smaller than the 52 filter thread so there is no problems here vignetting wise
  9. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    as far as other makers , they are all pricey for the quality youll get

for the 20 dollar oly a-28,is a magical bargain i believe n it was expensive when new....further i spent some time at band h trying many expensive ones from many makers and some simply will not allow focus and some will some vignette

the oly a-28 is far and away the best wide angle adapter i have ever used by a great margin , go to the gallery and see the 2 , 7 mb shots comparing angle of view and sharpness for yourself
    • Like Like x 1
  10. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Attaching it to the 14-42 kit (MK I) lens?

Do you think this can be attached to the 14-42 Olympus kit lens (MK I)? If so, might the weight damage the lens?