1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

olympus 9mm lens cap fisheye.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by clyde, Jun 24, 2014.

1. clyde

clyde New to Mu-43

May 24, 2014
    Anyone had any experiance with this fun type lens.
    Someone suggested i give it a try and at £70 uk it seems like a safe gamble,
    I know its a very limited lens but have seen good and bad reviews.

If anyones selling one (and a panny 14-140 come to think of it) im your man.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, it's sharp in the center but less sharp in the corners.
    F/8 only, MF or Zone focus only.

If your camera has IBIS, make sure to set it to 9mm or the closest available.

FoV / AoV is around 140degrees, and de-fishing is simple in apps like RawTherapee; there's no distortion profile for the lens, but the distortion slider in RT works well enough so far.

I'm happy with mine; I have the ZD 8mm FE but it's too big for vacations, etc.

There's an image thread for it here.

Barry

3. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I agree with Barry - for what it is (a very inexpensive way to play with Fisheye looking pictures) it is great. I had the Samyang fisheye, and while it was optically MUCH better, I just did not take it along too often. This lens I take on vacation all the time. Two examples (non-de-fished) from a trip to Nashville.

Attached Files:

4. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Norway
    Having a blast with mine, just "lock" the focus where you please and shoot away.

Its great fun for the prize, sharp enough in the center and small enough to fit in any pocket.

Take a look on the image thread on this forum. Many great pictures there!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I took mine to an outdoor birthday get together last weekend - and the lens fit easily in my shirt pocket along with a Lens Pen :thumbup:.

I only made a half-dozen exposures with it and have yet to get them into the catalog but the shots I took were of the hosts house and I couldn't get it all in with a 14mm-150mm zoom. I have the Rokinon 7.5mm but I was carrying only what would fit on the camera or in a pocket (casual outdoor event) and without a camera bag the Rokinon would have stayed at home.

For the price I think the Olympus fisheye BCL is a heckuva lotta fun.

HTH

Regards,

Jim

6. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Got mine waiting at the UPS pickup place...going to collect it tonight. Looks like a lotta fun. I'm hoping it will not show Hot Spots on my Infrared-converted EM5...but it will still be fun to have for the EM1.

7. otaillon

otaillon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 15, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    Did anyone tried it for long exposure? I'm talking start shots and night photography

8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Someone posted yesterday in another thread... No hot spots but some focus difficulties in IR.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

9. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Ya, that was me...no hot spots...but only good focus when set at the minimum focus distance. everything from about 1 ft on is quite good. Not a problem...just a consequence of IR light having different focus point bending thru glass as visible light.

Sent from my BlackBerry z10 via mu43 App.
    My BlackBerry Messenger pin:24BDF528

10. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    I love this little lens! It is well worth the money. I use my 9-18mm much less now. If you have it on a GM-1 and it is a tiny fast combo.
    tumblr_n69knfWKNr1rqzd9vo1_1280.

Fast moving in low light, not as good.
    [​IMG]

Fast moving in good light, good!
    tumblr_n6i3irsXzl1rqzd9vo1_1280.

Low Light panorama
    tumblr_n7ltciA0xi1rqzd9vo1_1280.

Indoors.
    tumblr_n65crnQUZ51rqzd9vo1_1280.

Well worth the money, totally fun little toy.

-Joe

• Like Like x 1
  11. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Em-1

_8310730.

EM-5 IR Converted

HDR.

• Like Like x 1