Olympus 9mm BCL - $88

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by agentlossing, Dec 22, 2014.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    B&H also has same price.

3. qppoiz

qppoiz Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    NJ
    Still not good enough to earn approval from the Department of Wife. I'll keep lobbying.

• Like Like x 2
  4. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Good luck qppoiz! I have a feeling my lobbying power will improve greatly once the Christmas presents are opened (and the credit card paid down).

• Like Like x 1
  5. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Nice. I already have the Rokinon 7.5 but I'm traveling to Guatemala next month and would like something smaller/lighter/more discreet/less valuable to use for a walkabout street lens. I think this might be the time to buy...

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Saw that the other day and could not resist. Picked one up and must say that I am quite impressed by this lens even at the initial test shooting of it. It might earn a place with the 40-150/4-5.6 as one of those "punching above its cost" deals everyone should consider.

7. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Any good shots yet that you'd like to share? I'm inches away from clicking Place Order, just need a little push :) :)

8. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    No, nothing as of yet. Weather he is not cooperating and my office test shots are a bit of an embarrassment - not from the IQ, but that fact that it needs cleaned!!

If you want images, check out Robin Wong's blog as well as the Olympus 9mm f/8 group over at Flickr. Especially the newer images - people are killing it with this lens.
    I own a fisheye(Rokinon 8mm f/3.5) in Nikon DX mount, but did not like the IQ I was getting from it on my EM5/EM1. It seemed to work better on the Nikon and Fuji X-E1.

IQ wise, I think this BCL is even better than the Rokinon on the Nikon/Fuji combo. Again, from my non scientific experimentation over the last 2 days with it.
    Center portion of the image looked just as good as the same image I took with my 12-50.

• Like Like x 1
  9. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Cool. Yeah I've been trolling the Flickr group and Robin's review page today already =)

Like I said I have the Rokinon already which I adore but it's a bit too chunky and flashy for my trip. Plus the idea of having the BCL permanently married to my old GF1 excites me... kind of resurrects the GF1 for me, since I haven't used it much since getting my E-M5.

Thanks for your thoughts

10. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    This is the weird thing. It wasn't even really about the IQ for me on the decision for the 9mm. I have a Fuji X100 that loves to get dropped inside a coat pocket when I need to travel ultra light.

The flattest lens I had before that was the Oly 17/1.8 and it would be mounted on the Oly OMD EM5. Doesn't quite slide into the coat pocket as well as the Fuji .
    The Fuji frustrates me in AF and camera operation performance - a place where the m43 cameras excel. It is decent in good light, super slow in bad light. The EM5 does slow down a bit, but it is not hampered as much as the Fuji.

I was on the fence at $100 for the 9mm BCL, but when it went down almost $20 + free shipping - how could I refuse.

I had a scenario the other day where I was at an event doing some reportage shooting and all I could take with me was the Fuji. Wish I could have had the Oly EM5 with the 9mm, though. While I got some great shots, there were a few missed opportunities that I would have had a better shot at getting with a more responsive camera.

Now I have that nad I'm sure that I will be using the 9mm more and more. Will definitely share here when I get the opportunity.

• Like Like x 1
  11. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Austin, Texas USA
    Jim Phipps
  12. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Thanks for the experience. Funny, I've been drooling over the Fuji X100 series cams lately myself. I was toying with getting a Panasonic DM1 for a pocketable little M43 rig, but with lens its bigger than the X100, although your AF experiences aren't encouraging. Then again it wouldn't be a primary body. And the idea of having a JPEG-only shooter that gives SOOC Fuji renderings with a wide fixed focal length lens is really attractive... my E-M5 is always there with nice lenses for critical stuff. Hmm.

Sorry... getting way off topic here, haha :biggrin:

13. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I want this! Why do I want it when I have the Rokinon? I don't know. I guess I just want my m4/3s kit to be as small as possible and use the larger adapted lenses for the A7. You know, the 12-32, 14, 15BCL, and 20.

The Rokinon has a place: indoor architecture at f3.5. Put, I tell you, if the 9BCL was out before me buying the Rokinon (before I realized how good it is for photographing room interiors).

I didn't buy though. I didn't buy the $49.99 15BCL until I found it used for $35. I need some more convincing to get this 9mm!

14. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    I have the rokinon as well and I ordered the BCL 9mm today, if that helps any :)

15. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Since I got the 9mm for Christmas, I'm saved the quandary :) I would really only reserve one caveat with this little guy: f8 can be frustrating. Recall how we m4/3 shooters rarely even use f8, so we're not prepared for how much light it needs. The wide angle wants to be shot indoors but you basically can't with this lens. Otherwise it's great and a lot of fun.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mu-43 mobile app