1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus 9-18mm Shots and Short Review from DC

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by FlyPenFly, Feb 22, 2011.

1. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    The lens itself is light and very portable. Pretty incredible how small it is considering the range covered. It works best wide open. It's nicely made for a plastic lens and it has a "lock" feature just like the kit lenses so it collapses.
    Took it to DC but I think I found out I'm just not a good landscape photographer.

Unfortunately I think I'll be returning the lens but not because anything wrong with it, I'm just not a good shooter at UWA. I think 24mm is the widest I feel comfortable.

Subway shots are NYC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other lenses:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 13
  2. cbrock

cbrock Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Based on those pictures, I think you can keep the lens! they look great to me.

3. I wouldn't be returning the lens based on that evidence.

4. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Can you tell me about your processing on these images? What mode did you use on the camera? The pictures look amazing.

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Lord help us if you actually got "good".

Great images and a fine example of what this lens can do.

Gordon

6. MichaelShea

MichaelShea Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    I agree that you did extremely well and that's not being patronising. It's not a question of being a good or bad landscape photographer, you simply have to learn how to use a wide-angled lens and there's a lot of trial and error. What soon becomes apparent is that the angle and height from which you point the camera has a profound effect on the look of the final image. Don't expect that to look much like the viewfinder or LCD preview, because there is a lot of inherent distortion built in and it's not your fault or that of the lens. Stick with it and use it for different kinds of scenes. There is a common misconception that wide-angles are meant for landscapes. Sometimes they actually make them more difficult to take because of the empty space you need to fill in your composition and distance to the main points of interest. In some of your examples, you made the pictures more interesting by including more detail than would normally have been possible due the extra available width.

7. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    They look good shots to me. I think you should keep it. The 9-18mm is one of the best MFT lenses around and certainly the best value.

I think it is more that you are uncomfortable exploiting the UWA and that is part of increasing your skills as a photographer. Practice, practice, practice.

If you still feel unconfortable with UWA lenses, why not join a camera club or seek some local photographers to go on field trips and learn off others.

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    DON'T return the lens! You may or may not be fully comfortable with it - it takes a while to really start to 'see' at an extreme focal length like that. But the evidence suggests that if you were fighting the lens in this initial experience, you fought hard and well! Which tells me that you'll be doing mind-blowing work with it once you adapt to it a little bit.

Now if you just don't think you'll enjoy it, that's another story. You should obviously do what you want. But I'd say give it a little time - nobody feels right with those kinds of focal lengths initially.

-Ray

9. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

Hi, I just use LR3 and tweak all the stuff until I like what I see. Helps to use a decent monitor though.

10. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Wow looking at your amazing portfolio, that is quite flattering, thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I think you should keep it! Great post!

12. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    keep it, definitely! :bravo-009: