Olympus 9-18mm, requires slim mount filters?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by FlyPenFly, Jun 15, 2012.

1. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Getting either a 6 or 10 stop B+W ND filter and I was wondering if this thing required a slim mount filter or not?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I always used the slim version of the B+W UV filter (XS-PRO) - an additional advantage is that those filters come with a push-on lens cap which I found much more practical than the OE article. I do remember a bit of vignetting sometimes around the 9mm end when I tried to use "normal" filters.
  3. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I've never had a slim filter before, is it more expensive usually?
  4. Kevmaughan

Kevmaughan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2011
    I have a marumi super high grade CPL and no problems. I can't imagine an ND filter thicker than a normal CPL. 18mm ain't that wide
  5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

An alternative would be to use a step up ring to a much larger filter size. I step all my filters to 77mm (and 60mm to a lesser extent). Allows the use of the same set of filters for all my lenses of all sorts of different thread sizes.

I have a 12mm (full 135 frame lens) on another camera that came with a step up filter attachment to 77mm.

PS> Don't use CPL on ultra wide lenses.... you get un-uniform polarization across the frame.
  6. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Mine usually has a bog-standard Hoya SHMC UV on it, and no vignetting at all. Usayit's advice is spot on if there is sky in your pictures.