1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Olympus 9-18mm, requires slim mount filters?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by FlyPenFly, Jun 15, 2012.

1. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Getting either a 6 or 10 stop B+W ND filter and I was wondering if this thing required a slim mount filter or not?

• Like Like x 1
  2. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I always used the slim version of the B+W UV filter (XS-PRO) - an additional advantage is that those filters come with a push-on lens cap which I found much more practical than the OE article. I do remember a bit of vignetting sometimes around the 9mm end when I tried to use "normal" filters.

3. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I've never had a slim filter before, is it more expensive usually?

4. Kevmaughan

Kevmaughan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2011
    I have a marumi super high grade CPL and no problems. I can't imagine an ND filter thicker than a normal CPL. 18mm ain't that wide

5. An alternative would be to use a step up ring to a much larger filter size. I step all my filters to 77mm (and 60mm to a lesser extent). Allows the use of the same set of filters for all my lenses of all sorts of different thread sizes.

I have a 12mm (full 135 frame lens) on another camera that came with a step up filter attachment to 77mm.

PS> Don't use CPL on ultra wide lenses.... you get un-uniform polarization across the frame.

6. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Mine usually has a bog-standard Hoya SHMC UV on it, and no vignetting at all. Usayit's advice is spot on if there is sky in your pictures.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.