1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus 9-18mm M4/3 - lens hood reversible?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by the.growler, May 16, 2011.

1. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

Perhaps this gets filed under "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people", but, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to reverse the Olympus LH-55B lens hood on the Olympus 9-18mm M4/3 for storage. I've looked very carefully at the hood and it seems that the "threads" that engage the bayonet mount on the lens are only on the side of the hood that usually engages the barrel of the lens, not on the side that usually faces out. Has anyone else solved this or is this just a quirk of the hood design?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    With as small as that lens is, I don't see how you would operate it with a lens hood reversed ...

3. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I'm guessing he doesn't want to operate it with the hood reversed, maybe just stow it in a bag or something..... :smile:

4. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    I don't see the need to reverse the lens hood, because it is so small. I store it with the lens hood attached and since this lens is shorter with the lens hood than most other lenses without, there is no problem regarding space at all.

5. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

I'm asking the question because I have a minimalist approach to carrying my gear and being able to store the lens with the hood reversed determines whether it fits in my bag or not when mounted on the E-PL2 body.

So, I'm not hearing that anyone has figured out how to do this . . . :frown:

6. marlof

marlof Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    The 'problem' with this lens hood is not so much that it adds to the length of the lens, but that it adds to the width of the lens at the end. The hood ads approximately 9mm to the length of the lens (4mm if you have a 5mm wide UV filter attached, as I do), but about 30mm to the width of the lens. If all you care about is to ease the storage, you could of course store the hood apart from the lens. It fits (reversed) around the lens while not being attached, not adding anything to the length of the lens.

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, that's what I was getting at ... there's no reason for Oly to make it "securable" in the storage position if you can't operate the lens with it there.

If you're claiming the 9-18 (with hood or no) is too big, your definition of "minimalist" is even more extreme than mine!