Showcase Olympus 9-18mm f/4-5.6

todd phillips

Mu-43 Veteran
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

iv1984

Mu-43 Rookie
Is there a way to post your photos by just linking to the flickr account, or do you have to upload each individual photo?

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
As corner sharpness has been an ongoing discussion over the eight years of this thread I'd like to add an observation. The 9-18 uses something close to rear focus. This means closer focus decreases its focal length, increasing the angle of view. My measurements of its behavior at 9mm are in good agreement with the theoretically derived figure for rear focus below. As a result, when focus stacking traditional compositions---like the one above---to get round depth of field limitations I find I get sharper results using a far focus frame as the alignment reference. Scaling down foreground features to match the background seems more accurate than inventing new pixels to scale up the background to match the foreground. Also, the 9-18's distortion characteristic changes with focus distance. Partly in the direct sense of ultrawide angle perspective distortion changing with focal length. And, it seems to me, also in the amount of barrel.
In my experience, multiple alignment tools have had a hard time with this combination. So close attention has been needed to set up workflow which transfers most of what the 9-18 is capable of into the corners of the stacked output. In comparison, some of the other ultrawide zooms I've used do not exhibit focus breathing and stack well without any special setup.
Is there a way to post your photos by just linking to the flickr account, or do you have to upload each individual photo?
Hotlink the desired size as usual, I believe. By the way, there's a site info forum if you don't find the answer to these types of questions with a search. The answers there may be better than those from asking in a lens specific thread.

Last edited:

iv1984

Mu-43 Rookie

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Lyle
Sunlit Cliffs

Mesa Ridgeline
Echo Amphitheater, Carson National Forest, NM

Andym72

Mu-43 Veteran
Some from Paris... The first one was a bit of a snapshot to get the boat in.

Real Name
Al
Can I ask you what you paid?
I purchased one last night for the amazing price of €249 (~$283 US). I wasn't really in the market for an UWA, but seeing one at this low price I could not resist.
Very similar price--$260.00, second hand. My dealer got a bunch of second hand M4/3 stuff and for some reason is NOT putting most of it on the shelves and is selling it cheaply. I'd say it was suspicious, but they have all the receipts and other paper work. I had NO interest in getting back into M4/3, but I got an E-M1 ii with the 12-40 for about $1100. I'm loving the results so much I may never make it back to FF.

Real Name
Al

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush

12mm but, whilst numerous lenses would suit, the 9-18 was what was on.

Vivalo

Olympus loser
This is my third time I have bought this lens. First time I got it used in bundle with other lenses and sold it almost immediately to fund other things. Second time was late 2014 when I bought it brand new, but I was a bit dissappointed to the quality. I felt it was a bit too soft in the corners and CA was everywhere with the original E-M5. I sold it to fund the Oly 7-14mm PRO lens. It was just perfect!...until I realized I didn't carry it much with me since it was so big and heavy. Mind you, that I like to carry the 25mm 1.2 lens with me so another pro lens in the camera bag makes it heavier than I would like. So I sold the Oly 7-14. A month ago there was a super sale on our local camera dealer for the Panasonic 35-100mm 4-5.6 collapsible lens: 99 euros brand new! I just had to get it at that price. After initial testing I was sold back to the promise of compact camera system. That lens is just mind bogglingly tiny. It's the same size as the Oly 30mm 3.5 macro. So, I have been looking for UWA for almost a year now and now that I have been using the tiny Pana 35-100 zoom I got curious about the Oly 9-18 again. After looking at this thread and realizing that new Oly bodies do correct the CA in camera I came to the conclusion that, at least for now, Olympus 9-18 is good enough for me. It might be a bit overpriced for what it is, but there really isn't direct competition and it is still cheap compared to other UWA zooms in the system. Now that there is a 100 eur cash back the lens cost me only 419 eur brand new with 2 year EU warranty. So this is my third 9-18mm lens and I think this time I'm going to just enjoy the lens and not pixel peep it too much!

Here's just a quick test shot of me and my son. Camera jpeg and edit in phone with snapseed.

WT21

Super Moderator
Like you, I bought and sold this lens many times. I finally purchased it and have promised to not sell it (unless some new lens replaces it entirely). It's unique on the market, IMO. No other lens is this small,light, etc. It has flaws, but if you need compact UWA in this FL, there isn't another option. Purchased used, it's not toooo expensive. Hope it works for you 3rd time around!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom