Olympus 9-18 with Panasonic G3

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by hunyuan7, Oct 7, 2011.

1. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    How does the Oly 9-18 fair with Panasonic G3 in videos and photos?

2. maxboni

maxboni Mu-43 Regular

3. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I haven't posted many of my shot with this combo yet, but here's one http://500px.com/photo/1677674.

I think they work quite well together, but I'm sure others could do much better than I have.

• Like Like x 2
  4. edmosis

edmosis New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2011
    Hi hunyuan7,

I used this combo quite a bit on my holiday to Japan a couple of weeks ago and almost half of my photos (I took around 1000 pictures and about 400 with the 9-18) were taken with this lens on the G3. It has now become my favorite travel lens and it works great on the G3. There really isn't anything special to report about using it on the G3. It works the same as any Panasonic lens except that it has a collapsing design and the G3 displays a message that you need to uncollapse it to use it.

My experience with the 9-18 is mainly as a travel lens and I really love it for this purpose. Sometimes people call the type of photo that one would often take with a wide angle lens an environmental portrait but for me it simply means pictures of my friends and family and a wide field of view that shows where we were.

We ate a lot of great food in Japan and the lens was also really good for getting shots of the table. Kind of an environmental portrait for food where you focus on one dish but you get all the dishes around it or shots where you can easily get everyone around the table.

I find that I use it at the ends of the range most often. The wides angle is great for the purposes I already mention but at the long end you get into kind of slightly wide normal range and I found that I rarely needed to change to my other lens the 14-45. Nothing scientific here but I also think the contrast and sharpness of the 9-18 is better that the 14-45. AF was really quick. The other lens I used a lot was the 20mm 1.7 when I needed to get low light shots or wanted a less DOF. I think I could pretty much live with only the 9-18 and the 20 1.7

For travel it is great because it collapses down to a really compact size and doesn't take up hardly any space in my camera bag. So, as you can tell, I love the lens and recommend it highly for use with your G3!

Here are some pics from my vacation that I took with the G3/Olympus 9-18 combo.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  5. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    We really need a FAQ. No offense to you OP, but there are a ton of threads like this. Any micro-4/3 camera body is fully compatible with any micro-4/3 lens, despite the manufacturer of the components being different.

6. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Shnitz, I have tried but failed to find a thread that would address how the Oly 9-18 would do on a G3 in video. I am certain, as shown on this thread, that the it shines on the photo function. If this lens makes unbearable noise during zooming or focusing, I may reconsider.

Thanks for everyone's input. Forums like this one open up the world of photography for anyone interested.

7. zucchiniboy

zucchiniboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    Love that shot! I see on the link that it says the focal length is 18mm, but it looks more on the wide side of the spectrum--could that be 18mm effective, i.e. 9mm? Either way, well done.

8. m43er

m43er Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2011
    @edmosis - could you post a pic of the 9-18 on your G3 to see how it looks when you have time.

Not having IS on this lens is not an issue at all then...

9. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Lovely photo!