Olympus 9-18 versus Pansonic 7-14mm

sailor15

Mu-43 Rookie
I know this has been discussed....any recent thoughts/experiences?

I am learning photography & wide angle has been suggested

Thanks for comments

BigTam

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
I have had the 9-18 for almost a year now, and I use it a lot, mostly at 9mm. You have to learn to compose well with a wide-angle, though. Golden rule is to have something in the foreground, otherwise it's just a far-away swathe of scenery and boring.

I bought a used 7-14 to compare, and, to be honest, the difference in quality was minimal (for me), and only visible at 100% crops. Also, the 7-14 has problems with purple flare specific to the OM-D E-M5. These two factors, and the higher price, led me to resell the 7-14 and stay happy with the 9-18.

Mr Hahn

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nate
This is covered in lots of threads, here are the (mostly) agreed upon points:

The Olympus 9-18:

- half the price of 7-14mm (got my Olympus refurbished 9-18mm at Cameta for $550 shipped)
- threaded for filters
- smaller and lighter
- 15-18mm (reaches about 35mm equivalent, great walk around focal length)
- No crazy purple blobs for OM-D users
- Almost no light fall-off
- More CA
- Very little rectilinear distortion

Panasonic 7-14mm:
- sharper lens
- more rectilinear distortion at the wide end
- 7-8mm (wider)
- No filter threads
- Causes crazy purple blobs for OM-D users

Excellent comparison with focal length shots by Amin located here:
9-18mm vs 7-14mm comparison

sailor15

Mu-43 Rookie
Many thanks for your prompt and helpful replies....it helped me decide on the Olympus lens....

I am slowly "spreading my wings". I love my omd em5!

FastCorner

Mu-43 Veteran
The choice would depend on what other lenses you have. For instance, if you get the 12-35 f/2.8, there's a lot of overlap with the 9-18.

Mr Hahn

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nate
Many thanks for your prompt and helpful replies....it helped me decide on the Olympus lens....

I am slowly "spreading my wings". I love my omd em5!

Cameta has the factory refurbished 9-18mm for $550. They're a good company to buy from and they have a warranty:
Cameta 9-18mm Refurbished Deal

There's also a 9-18mm listed in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum for $500 shipped with a lens hood here:
FastCorner Sale Thread

Edit: I have no affiliation with FastCorner, we just happen to post at the same time. :smile:

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
Easy choice for me: faster, and wider. Excellent IQ and btw no purple blob problems on my OM-D. Pan 7-14/4 was the easy winner for me.

Savas K

Mu-43 Top Veteran
These kinds of threads get long and consist of the same information every time. I like Mr. Hahn's brief assessment in bullet list format. Here is my addition every time I see this comparison: Had the 7-14; now own the 9-18. Wished I could've kept the 7-14. OM-D user who saw 7-14 purple in normal interior shots that had, for instance, fluorescent lights somewhere in the scene. I can't go on fixing images every time I use the lens; not worth it to me. Loved the 7mm, but had to say bye.

JJJPhoto

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jerry Jackson Jr
I had the 9-18mm for a couple of years now and recently sold it because I never touched it after getting the 12mm f/2.

Yes, I'm sure there are times I might miss not being able to go wider than 12mm but honestly the 12mm lens is as wide a focal length as I personally need and the f/2 aperture comes in handy more than the extra 3mm ... again, for MY needs.

yekimrd

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mikey
I had the 9-18mm for a couple of years now and recently sold it because I never touched it after getting the 12mm f/2.

Yes, I'm sure there are times I might miss not being able to go wider than 12mm but honestly the 12mm lens is as wide a focal length as I personally need and the f/2 aperture comes in handy more than the extra 3mm ... again, for MY needs.

I've learned to live with the 12/2 like you but there are certainly a good 15% of the time that I miss the 7-9mm focal length. :frown:

dav1dz

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Having easy screw on filters sold the 9-18 for me. The purple blobs on the 7-14 is annoying but you also need the right conditions to get the worst of it. I don't think it's strictly an E-M5 problem, Sony sensor camera probably all have the same problem with it.

The way I use UWA, they're very specific. I think the easy filters, smaller size when stored, weight and price ultimately wins out. But those are my priorities, what are yours?

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
The short answer is that one's wider, one's bigger, and one's more expensive. And they're all the same one. So how you weight the relative importance of each will tell you whether it's the right one for you. The IQ is so close as to be a non-issue except for the purple flare issue, which seems to be very real.

-Ray

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
I've got to get around to picking up the Oly 9-18. I keep waiting for Cameta's price on a refurb to drop back below $549.

zensu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bobby
Also your budget

The Panny 7-14 also cost several hundred dollars more (in some places almost double) than the Oly 9-18. In my budget that means it affects my wallet more!

spinyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I use my 9-18 for travel and the long end is very handy around town.Also it is tiny in your bag and IQ is excellent.I think it's a real bargain.Sure, there will be times when you could use the extra 2mm but so what?

Bamamike

Mu-43 Regular
If you like wide, get the 7-14mm, if you own a fisheye, you need the 7-14mm.
However, if nothing fits for you, you are better with the 9-18mm.
Cheers,
Mike

Latest threads

Top Bottom