Olympus 9-18 43 vs. Olympus 9-18 m43

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by senicphoto, Jan 8, 2014.

1. senicphoto

senicphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 23, 2013
    I got a question folks and your input will be greatly appreciated. I shoot with Panasonic GH3 and I'm on the market for a wide zoom. I guess two lenses comes to mind ... Panasonic 7-14 and Olympus 9-18. Unfortunately, Panny is out of my price range so I need to concentrate on Olympus 9-18. I'm aware Oly makes 9-18 for m43 bodies but recently I came across a really good deal for used four thirds 9-18. With 43 to m43 adapter, this lens will be still cheaper than m43 9-18. I'm wondering if anyone can share their experience with Olympus 9-18 mm F/4.0-5.6 ED on m43 body? I know that AF speed might suffer but how about overall picture quality? Is it the same, better or worse?

Thanks in advance,

2. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    I've owned both at different times. From what I've seen on the photos I pixel peeped, the IQ is almost identical. I can't really speak to pin cushion and barrel distortion differences. The m43 lens is a lot smaller and lighter. It is also faster to focus. My old 9-18 43 would hunt a little on my EM5 body. I sold the old 43 for under $500 and regretted selling it. I just found 12mm wasn't enough on the wide end. So Olympus just offered a screaming deal in December and I got my u43 9-18mm for $499. So I'm a happy camper again.
  3. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I made a similar choice recently, and went for a secondhand Four Thirds version of this lens at a good price. From my understanding having researched it carefully, the corner sharpness of the Four Thirds version is significantly better than the Micro Four Thirds version (which loses optical distortion correction for size and weight reduction, being replaced by electronic distortion correction which stretches the corners reducing resolution there).

Even on my E-M1 with phase detect autofocus, autofocus is slow on this lens (and slower than on another Four Thirds lens, the 50-200 non-SWD), but autofocus speed is not usually critical in an ultra-wide that is usually used for taking photographs of things that do not move a great deal, such as interiors and landscapes.
  4. senicphoto

senicphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 23, 2013
    Hi gents,

Thanks for your feedback. I think I will go with 43 version and see how it goes ... I'm sure I won't be disappointed.