Showcase Olympus 8mm f/1.8 PRO

First post from this lens which is new to me. I had a Rokinon 7.5 FE, but wanted the autofocus and the f/1.8. I've tried the auto correction with my E-M1 II, but frankly prefer the straight fisheye.
This taken at a local performing arts theater with my Pen F.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

comment23

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Simon
I often think about getting the Olympus 7-14, 8mm, or the Loawa, but then I look at my shots with the tiny Samyang and I just love it. It never really needs to be focused. Just put it at infinity and you are fine for 99% of the landscape shots you might take. The distortion can be an advantage in some situations. And, I have found that it works pretty well in very wide panoramas. And when that doesn't work for a scene I shot a pan with the 12-40. I personally find that fewer lenses in my bag forces creativity and that's the soul of photography.

Here are a few that I've taken with this marvelous lens.

View attachment 748266 View attachment 748267 View attachment 748268 View attachment 748269 View attachment 748270
Those are great shots! But why not put them in the appropriate lens’s showcase thread?

D Day at Sarasota National Cemetery.... a good place to reflect.

Last edited:

Tifoso

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Giuseppe

I am really beginning to like this lens, more and more. I went to an exhibit of the Photographic Ark, a project by NatGeo photographer Joel Sartore, to photograph all the world endangered species.
I used this lens on my E-M1 II and engaged the in-camera auto lens correction to eliminate the fisheye effect (affects JPEG only).

Last edited:
Real Name
Paul
Fishing expedition out of Newport, Oregon on my brother's boat; the bridge across Yaquina Bay is iconic. My PL 8-18 is my default boat lens, but I finally talked my brother into letting me jump in the water with blue sharks or whatever we'd find far offshore. To be prepared, I had the 8-18 sealed up in my underwater housing- this forced me to run with the 8mm FE (it was fun and challenging at the same time).
_7271217.jpg

We were targeting a relatively new long-leader rockfish fishery; your lures are positioned 30' about your weight, which puts them right in line with certain species that make their living up off the bottom (the bottom-dwelling species have been overfished). The downside is that you're fishing in much deeper water- in our case, we were 35 miles off shore.
_7271305.jpg

The ride back- my other brother resting comfortably on a nautical bean bag chair. I can see why these were so popular in the 70's.
_7271331.jpg

GRID

Mu-43 All-Pro

GRID

Mu-43 All-Pro

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom