Showcase Olympus 8mm f/1.8 PRO

crlund

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rob
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
One aisle of about 8 at our public library main branch periodicals section.

Jeffcs

Mu-43 All-Pro

Mack

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just got this lens. I never owned a fisheye before and I took it for a test spin at a pioneer-type museum.

The fisheye effect isn't as pronounced as I thought it would be. All the shots below are not defished or altered for distortion. I had to use the E1.2 as the E-M1X is not supported in DxO Photolab 2 yet, so these are all from Olympus Viewer 3 for the most part, other than sizing down for the web.

I shot all using handheld in HDR-1 mode as it give me a lot more dynamic range without going too far into the HDR look. I do see some flare on the sunlit wood in the old oil well support beam and don't know if it is from the HDR-1 or a characteristic of the fisheye.

Lens is very sharp too! I miss the auto-manual push-pull clutch of the focus ring as you need to put the camera menu into MF to manually focus it. I left it in AF.

Surprised to see it is more wide angle being an 8mm than the 7-14mm f/2.8 Pro lens at 7mm too when in the defished mode. When in defished in the camera's menu, it looks more like a rectilinear lens (Aside, I shot some car parts for a friend since I had it with me for his sale photo on eBay and they looked fine.).

I like the look it brings so it's a keeper for me! :2thumbs:

Jeffcs

Mu-43 All-Pro
Just got this lens. I never owned a fisheye before and I took it for a test spin at a pioneer-type museum.

The fisheye effect isn't as pronounced as I thought it would be. All the shots below are not defished or altered for distortion. I had to use the E1.2 as the E-M1X is not supported in DxO Photolab 2 yet, so these are all from Olympus Viewer 3 for the most part, other than sizing down for the web.

I shot all using handheld in HDR-1 mode as it give me a lot more dynamic range without going too far into the HDR look. I do see some flare on the sunlit wood in the old oil well support beam and don't know if it is from the HDR-1 or a characteristic of the fisheye.

Lens is very sharp too! I miss the auto-manual push-pull clutch of the focus ring as you need to put the camera menu into MF to manually focus it. I left it in AF.

Surprised to see it is more wide angle being an 8mm than the 7-14mm f/2.8 Pro lens at 7mm too when in the defished mode. When in defished in the camera's menu, it looks more like a rectilinear lens (Aside, I shot some car parts for a friend since I had it with me for his sale photo on eBay and they looked fine.).

I like the look it brings so it's a keeper for me! :2thumbs:

View attachment 741383

View attachment 741384

View attachment 741385

View attachment 741386

View attachment 741387
Nice stuff and yes the fish effects are evident looks good

Jeffcs

Mu-43 All-Pro

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I would like comparison shots 'fish-eye' and defished. Because I am undecided whether to get a 7,5mm . . . or an Oly 8mm.
I have both FE lenses. The Samyang 7.5mm has a slightly wider AoV than the Olympus 8mm. Both lenses are very sharp. I'm going to sell the 7.5mm for 1 reason - it's an f3.5 and the 8mm is 2 stops faster (better in low light). I can defish the 8mm and get the equivalent of a fast superwide. That said, I'll keep my 7-14mm f2.8 zoom because it's so versatile. I posted shots of the 7.5mm, 8mm and 7-14mm showing the various AoV and levels of defishing for the 8mm.
I carry the 8mm and 12-100 f4 if I want to travel light and cover a wide range. Don't know if all my blather helps.

4Paul

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Paul Keller
I
I have both FE lenses. The Samyang 7.5mm has a slightly wider AoV than the Olympus 8mm. Both lenses are very sharp. I'm going to sell the 7.5mm for 1 reason - it's an f3.5 and the 8mm is 2 stops faster (better in low light). I can defish the 8mm and get the equivalent of a fast superwide. That said, I'll keep my 7-14mm f2.8 zoom because it's so versatile. I posted shots of the 7.5mm, 8mm and 7-14mm showing the various AoV and levels of defishing for the I carry the 8mm and 12-100 f4 if I want to travel light and cover a wide range. Don't know if all my blather helps.
Thank you, Graham, that is helpful. In town, I too, carry the absolute minimum and usually only the Oly 12-100mm, yet occasionally an even wider shot 'would be nice'. This clearly does not justify the 7-14mm PRO. I had reservations about the sharpness of a defished image. You have laid my concerns to rest and I'll be on the lookout for the Oly 8mm/1.8. Thanks again.

Mack

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'd get the AF model for what ever wide lens you want "just in case." Having AF availablle is a blessing!

I have the Laowa 7.5mm f/2 MF lens and it vignettes quite a bit, and with some software it isn't recognizable so any lens corrections cannot be applied since it has no way of communicating with the camera as it is a dumb lens with no electronics. Manual focus requires me to use Focus Peaking since it is manual and the focus scale does not correspond with the actual distance either. It took an exchange with the first one as it would not reach to infinity before it would stop rotation so it went back to B&H. Second copy same thing to a lesser degree so I followed what some did on DPR and removed the four screws on the rear element and shimmed it to move it back so it would hit infinity, but the focus scale is still off and not to be relied on. Quality control seems very hit of miss with the Laowa.

I think sharpness is fine on both my 7-14mm and the 8mm fisheye. Using the newest Topaz Sharpen AI software really helps with both sharpness and noise. Seems everything in the RAW is there, but the AI software is improving much faster and maximizing what the cameras and lenses can produce. Newer glass is getting much sharper than my 8 year old Nikon glass too. Imho, of course.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom