Olympus 8-25mm f/4 Pro reviewed by Lenstip

emersonik

Mu-43 Regular
Lentip reviewed the Olympus 8-25mm f/4 Pro.
"The Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 8-25 mm f/4 PRO didn't have any slip-ups and is an instrument which I can personally recommend without any objections. [...] You get not only a very good sharpness in the frame centre but also practically no slip-ups on edges. At every focal length, up from the maximum relative aperture, you can enjoy good quality images across the frame, a really impressive achievement. Hats off!"

Last edited:

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
F5.6 seems best for sharpness. Maybe I will use F5.6 as default at 8mm to reduce vignetting a bit too (unless I want more vignetting).

Lenstip reviews are very informative, even if I already received my copy on Sunday. Useful for choosing the settings that will get the most out of the lens. Not that I worry excessively about such technical problems, but still good to know them.

I must admit I am still uneasy about so much software correction of distortion, and I am one of those who shoot RAW and use third-party RAW converters so I can see it. First 12-100mm and now 8-25mm. But at least it is fully optically corrected at 25mm like 12-100mm.

It's been raining non-stop here the past two days, so no good chance to try out the lens yet, but maybe I can think of something for tomorrow.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It's weatherproof and so are you. Stop making excuses! :shakehead:

😜
Lol, I always joke that my camera is now weatherproof but I am still not. The main reason I bought the E-M1 II and 12-100mm in the first place was for weatherproofing to visit relatives in Vietnam. But the trip got cancelled due to COVID, so I have only been out photographing in wet conditions maybe once, and that was just by accident.

Photographs in rain could be very interesting, but I will probably try to become familiar with the lens first. Same for night photography, I could go out tonight if I really want to.

Usually I don't post my urban photos on this site, but maybe I will make some exceptions for this lens. I just realized there is already a showcase thread too.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
After reading that review and carefully examining their sample shots, it seems that the 8-25 is not quite as spectacular as the 12-100. Pretty flaming good, nonetheless!

The software correction doesn't bother me. It's a pretty standard practice nowadays.

There is far less zone 3 distortion of all kinds than with my FTs f/4 7-14. In fact, practically un-noticeable in their sample shots.

Merely terrific, instead of absolutely fantastic ...

Colour me impressed!

Real Name
Walter
This Lenstip review was very informative and encouraging. I also read part of a review on Olympus Passion that is behind a paywall, but saw enough to know that it is a special lens. The flare resistance was noteworthy. In fact, these additional two reviews prompted me to put in an order for one. Dunno when it will show up, but I committed.
https://www.olympuspassion.com/2021/10/21/premium-m-zuiko-8-25mm-f4-pro-my-first-impressions/

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Oly 8-25mm back in stock at B&H. 6 days after I ordered it from a seller on Amazon.

I searched Amazon for the 8-25mm F4 almost everyday because I remember the 100-400mm F5-6.3 being $600 CAD off there when it first came out. But I never found it until the 15th, when I found the Amazon US page for the lens via Google search. But it was listed under the OM Digital Solutions name instead of Olympus, due to be in stock on the 19th, for regular price $1100 USD. So I searched for the lens on Amazon Canada using "OM Digital Solutions", and finally found it! Due to be in stock on the 19th, but $190 CAD off. After thinking about it and hesitating for about 5 minutes (it would be my second lens ever) I took a deep breath and decided to order it. It was the only copy of the lens they had coming, so if I had hesitated longer, maybe you would have got it instead.

cameranut

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Joe
After reading that review and carefully examining their sample shots, it seems that the 8-25 is not quite as spectacular as the 12-100. Pretty flaming good, nonetheless!

The software correction doesn't bother me. It's a pretty standard practice nowadays.

There is far less zone 3 distortion of all kinds than with my FTs f/4 7-14. In fact, practically un-noticeable in their sample shots.

Merely terrific, instead of absolutely fantastic ...

Colour me impressed!
I have a related question regarding the software correction associated with the lens. The LensTips review states that it has "very high distortion on RAW files".
I like to shoot in RAW, then convert those files to Adobe DNG files and use Elements to process them. Does DNG and/or Elements reapply the needed distortion corrections that are applied in the jpeg files??

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
I have a related question regarding the software correction associated with the lens. The LensTips review states that it has "very high distortion on RAW files".
I like to shoot in RAW, then convert those files to Adobe DNG files and use Elements to process them. Does DNG and/or Elements reapply the needed distortion corrections that are applied in the jpeg files??
Joe, that's only visible if you use one of the fairly rare raw editors that doesn't automatically apply the software corrections that are part of the micro Four Thirds standard.

Generally, the only people who quote this as some sort of 'failing' are merely using it to bash mFTs ... It is akin to removing half the lens elements, then complaining about the resulting distortions, logically speaking.

cameranut

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Joe
Doesn't Elements read raw files? If so why do you first convert to DNG?
Yes, elements does read raw files. However However it requires elements 20 to read the raw files from the EM5 lll, and I still have Elements 19. Adobe never misses a chance to get you to buy a new program...

cameranut

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Joe
Joe, that's only visible if you use one of the fairly rare raw editors that doesn't automatically apply the software corrections that are part of the micro Four Thirds standard.

Generally, the only people who quote this as some sort of 'failing' are merely using it to bash mFTs ... It is akin to removing half the lens elements, then complaining about the resulting distortions, logically speaking.
John... Thanks for the information. I thought that was what was happening but after reading that remark I was wondering if something was different with the new lens..

Real Name
Walter
Yes, elements does read raw files. However However it requires elements 20 to read the raw files from the EM5 lll, and I still have Elements 19. Adobe never misses a chance to get you to buy a new program...
Pretty typical of Adobe. I had Lightroom, but decided not to get the forced upgrade in order to read .ORF files from my EM1. It felt like paying a ransom. However, I suspect other companies do similar. :-(

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
I
Pretty typical of Adobe. I had Lightroom, but decided not to get the forced upgrade in order to read .ORF files from my EM1. It felt like paying a ransom. However, I suspect other companies do similar. :-(
I did the arithmetic.

It's (far) cheaper to pay the toll on Adobe CC (photographer's set - Bridge, Photoshop, Lightroom and the two new ones that are included) than it is to buy Capture One Pro, THEN pay substantial amounts for upgrades!

My CS5 and CS6 suites owe me nothing, and are still useful.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
I’ve got the PL 8-18 and pretty happy with it, but if I were buying a ultra wide zoom today, it would be the 8-25.
Agree, Paul.

My FTs 7-14 is too short, my FTs 11-22 is not wide enough at the short end.

Methinks that the 8-25 is the 'Goldilocks' lens for me.
Great for cars and general purpose use, IMO.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom