Olympus 8-25 f4 PRO

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
Finally the long awaited wide zoom seems to arrive shortly.

Here is a leaked pic:

8-25mm-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Looks about as I figured, I was hoping for a tad smaller, but expected something like this. Still ok I think. 72mm filter thread also. L-Fn button!

Wonderful news this!

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
I did a comparison mock-up between this and the 12-45/4. Trying to align to both filter thread and mount part. They both match, so I think this is it.
Looks like it is a little larger than I thought actually. Well well, not to be expected of a wide angle zoom, the range is amazing actually.

8-25_12-45_comparison.jpg

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Looking at the "8" far off to the right, this also seems to be a collapsible lens.

It looks to be about the same size as the venerable 12-40 f2.8:
1622711773721.png

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I was thinking that this may be my first m4/3 zoom (and auto focus unfortunately) to replace the 4/3 7-14mm. The 72mm filter thread is disappointing, I was hoping for 67mm having a comprehensive set of ND filters.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have been holding off getting the P8-18mm after reading about this Oly 8-25mm. If it is cheaper than the P8-18mm I would be interested.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have been holding off getting the P8-18mm after reading about this Oly 8-25mm. If it is cheaper than the P8-18mm I would be interested.

I had the P8-18 for about 3 months before bounce testing it on a frozen, snow covered bay. I was considering transitioning to Panasonic but after being told that the lens was un-repairable I vowed to never buy another Panasonic product (apart from microwaves).

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I had the P8-18 for about 3 months before bounce testing it on a frozen, snow covered bay. I was considering transitioning to Panasonic but after being told that the lens was un-repairable I vowed to never buy another Panasonic product (apart from microwaves).
If you still go the lens, do a search in Google or the forum for a company called Clearer Images. I only consider any of my Panasonic lenses irreparable if they say so. That's based on experience with trying to get things fixed by a number of lens repair companies.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
I figured 7-14mm F2.8 would not be a good fit with 12-100mm due to both being so big, and not only will 8-25mm F4 will be smaller and have a filter thread unlike 7-14mm F2.8, the filter thread size will be the same as 12-100mm F4! That's awesome, lol.

But it is still a bit larger than I expected, and yet somehow front lens element is smaller than I expected. Smaller than the 12-45mm front lens element? I'm not a pixel peeper but hopefully it does not sacrifice IQ too much at 8mm. The 8mm should be the main draw of the lens.

But yeah... most likely I will get this instead of 8mm F1.8. The 8-25mm F4 actually has function button, and maybe MF clutch?? That's surprising. I thought it would be like 8mm F1.8. Hopefully it is not more expensive.

Mountain_Man_79

Ah, yes. Comets, the icebergs of the sky.
Real Name
Chris
I don’t know about a clutch on this one. Doesn’t look like it would slide down given the way the section below it is angled.
Size wise, it looks like a better pairing with the 12-100 vs the 12-45.
I’ll be curious as to the price.

JonSnih

Mu-43 Veteran
I did a comparison mock-up between this and the 12-45/4. Trying to align to both filter thread and mount part. They both match, so I think this is it.
Looks like it is a little larger than I thought actually. Well well, not to be expected of a wide angle zoom, the range is amazing actually.
1622803312317.png

The 72mm filter thread puzzles me. Unlike the F2.8 UWA m4/3 zooms above this new PRO is an F4. I thought they would go with 67mm f. f. And you can see that the diameter of the front lens element is quite narrow with "a massive outside ring". They made inner elements wider to achieve very good corner sharpness, it seems. It looks like a proper PRO lens, hopefully below 400 grams and around $999.

Real Name
Phill
$1100, which seems way more plausible (similar to the 12-100mm):
https://photorumors.com/2021/06/04/...lens-pictures-ans-specifications/#more-137836

Also adds a lot more information and photos!
Well that sound a lot more reasonable than the USD 1600 stated by 4/3 Rumors! At the latter price, I bet a lot of people who were formerly interested would rather pass on this one. However at ~1100, it could be an interesting option, although it still is more expensive than I thought.

A few more details:
With a size of about 77x88,5mm it is actually larger than the 12-40 Pro, it also weights more with 411g. The minimum focusing distance of just 23cm, throughout the whole range, seems to be very good and just falls a bit short of the 20cm we have with the 12-40 Pro. On a side note I am also surprised about the price of the lens hood, which Photorumors stated would be around USD 35, which seems kind of reasonable, especially compared to other Olympus hoods which often cost twice as much.

jacobm

Mu-43 Regular
I'd consider maybe swapping my 12-40 for this lens. I find I usually shoot at 12mm, 17mm, or 40mm. I have a 40-150 PRO so I have 40mm covered, but I'm not sure I'd miss the 25mm-40mm span, and I'm not sure I'd miss the extra stop of light either. This definitely seems like an interesting option.

JonSnih

Mu-43 Veteran
A few more details:
With a size of about 77x88,5mm it is actually larger than the 12-40 Pro, it also weights more with 411g. The minimum focusing distance of just 23cm, throughout the whole range, seems to be very good and just falls a bit short of the 20cm we have with the 12-40 Pro. On a side note I am also surprised about the price of the lens hood, which Photorumors stated would be around USD 35, which seems kind of reasonable, especially compared to other Olympus hoods which often cost twice as much.
Well, I am not fond of the weight (411 grams). On the other hand this is a very complex design (16 lens elements). Surprised by OIS. It looks like a twin brother of the 12-100mm PRO. It is a beast.
1622824469687.png

Box Contents
LC-72C Lens Cap, LR-2 Lens Rear Cap, LH-76E Lens Hood, CS-53 Wrapping Cloth, Instruction Manual, Olympus Local Warranty Card

I'd consider maybe swapping my 12-40 for this lens. I find I usually shoot at 12mm, 17mm, or 40mm. I have a 40-150 PRO so I have 40mm covered, but I'm not sure I'd miss the 25mm-40mm span, and I'm not sure I'd miss the extra stop of light either. This definitely seems like an interesting option.
Get the Leica 8-18mm F2.8-4, it is more m4/3 friendly (320 grams).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom