Olympus 8-25 f4 Pro leaked

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
It might interest you that Robin Wong finally got his hands on an 8-25, although he had to buy it himself. Here's a quick hands-on preview. He has a pretty convincing weather-sealing demonstration.
https://robinwong.blogspot.com/2021/06/olympus-mzuiko-8-25mm-f4-pro-first.html
I was also amused by his shaking experiment, inspired by another earlier review. Lenses are now in stock in NZ, and my order is being processed at the moment.

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't think forcing Robin Wong to quarantine in a small room is a good idea. He is almost militantly extroverted by nature even when allowed to walk off some of his infectious enthusiasm outside. His shaking test and muted scream seemed to offer an insight into a man that is almost ready to explode. If I were Robin's neighbor I think I would consider making sure all small children and pets were some distance away from shared walls.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
While I am currently not an ultra-wide shooter, I've had several situations where 12mm was not wide enough, and I did not feel comfortable stitching images. I need to do a lot of photo stitching to find the limits of where stitching works and won't work.
So I will likely buy one, if I can find one at a decent price. I may have to ask Santa for one.

As for Robin, I agree with his two issues, but
#1, Extending zooms seem to now be the norm, with more zooms being extending rather than internal.
I was surprised when Canon released their 70-200/2.8 R lens, it was an extending zoom.​
An extending zoom has more mass to move, so zooming will be stiffer simply due to having to move more mass than an internal zoom.​

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't think forcing Robin Wong to quarantine in a small room is a good idea. He is almost militantly extroverted by nature even when allowed to walk off some of his infectious enthusiasm outside. His shaking test and muted scream seemed to offer an insight into a man that is almost ready to explode. If I were Robin's neighbor I think I would consider making sure all small children and pets were some distance away from shared walls.

That is a common problem with humans.
We are social creatures, and having to behave like a hermit is NOT natural.
I think about the school kids, who live in a very social world. The few times that I've seen them in groups, social distancing went out the window, as they buddied up. Graduation was a distancing disaster, the kids hugged and got next to their friends.

Real Name
Walter
While I am currently not an ultra-wide shooter, I've had several situations where 12mm was not wide enough, and I did not feel comfortable stitching images. I need to do a lot of photo stitching to find the limits of where stitching works and won't work.
So I will likely buy one, if I can find one at a decent price. I may have to ask Santa for one.

As for Robin, I agree with his two issues, but
#1, Extending zooms seem to now be the norm, with more zooms being extending rather than internal.
I was surprised when Canon released their 70-200/2.8 R lens, it was an extending zoom.​
An extending zoom has more mass to move, so zooming will be stiffer simply due to having to move more mass than an internal zoom.​

Agreed that extending zooms are the norm. Internal zooms are the exception. How many internal zooms are there for M43? The only ones I've experienced were the 12-50 f3.5-6.3 kit zoom and the 40-150 f2.8 Pro. The 150-400 f4.5 TC IS Pro is also internal zooming. All other M43 zooms I've used have been extending/external zooms. Have there been any other internal zooms? (maybe some 4/3 zooms were, but I'm not familiar with all of them)

While desirable, I think Robin's expectation of an internal zoom is unrealistic, and I think an internal zoom would also have been a longer, wider lens as well. Which would have exacerbated his 2nd objection.

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Agreed that extending zooms are the norm. Internal zooms are the exception. How many internal zooms are there for M43? The only ones I've experienced were the 12-50 f3.5-6.3 kit zoom and the 40-150 f2.8 Pro. The 150-400 f4.5 TC IS Pro is also internal zooming. All other M43 zooms I've used have been extending/external zooms. Have there been any other internal zooms? (maybe some 4/3 zooms were, but I'm not familiar with all of them)

While desirable, I think Robin's expectation of an internal zoom is unrealistic, and I think an internal zoom would also have been a longer, wider lens as well. Which would have exacerbated his 2nd objection.

Well longer at least.
The extending zoom makes for a shorter packing size, at the cost of a larger diameter for the extending mechanism.
I recall the Tamron internal 70-210/4 and the extending 35-150/2.8-4. The 70-210/4 was significantly smaller in diameter than the 35-150. In looking at the 35-150, I figured a LOT of it's larger diameter was due to the thick collar around the extending portion of the lens. If the lens did not extend, how much smaller in diameter could the lens be? Probably a fair bit. Closer to the diameter of the extending portion of the lens.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
How many internal zooms are there for M43?
We did that on the first page of this thread.

We are social creatures, and having to behave like a hermit is NOT natural.
Most polling I'm aware of indicates a quarter to third of people prefer their patterns of life over the past year and a half or so to what they had before that and, therefore, aren't keen on going back. Particularly in respect to things like chronic racist microaggression in schools and workplaces. So this claim does not appear to be well supported.

Related claims made on the previous page exhibit similar lack of understanding and tendency towards false dichotomy. The politics clause of the ToS means I should probably refrain from specifics, though.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
All other M43 zooms I've used have been extending/external zooms. Have there been any other internal zooms? (maybe some 4/3 zooms were, but I'm not familiar with all of them)

All the zooms I have ever used on the old 4/3rsd system (I think first hand I used 4 different ones) were all external zooms. Between 4/3rds and m43 I have owned no lenses with internal zooming. So certainly to me the concept of internal zoom in the exception.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
All the zooms I have ever used on the old 4/3rsd system (I think first hand I used 4 different ones) were all external zooms. Between 4/3rds and m43 I have owned no lenses with internal zooming. So certainly to me the concept of internal zoom in the exception.

You got me curious, so I tallied up my lenses and the various lenses that I've used on other cameras (that I could remember), and I came up with:
Total: Extending = 11, Internal = 8
All AF lenses: Extending = 9, Internal = 6
Digital era AF lenses: Extending = 8, Internal = 4
Manual lenses: Extending = 2, Internal = 2 (There may be other old manual zooms, that I missed.)

So the edge to the extending zooms.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
8-25mm F4 doesn't just extend when zoomed in, it also extends when zoomed out, so I think that is a legitimate complaint. That and of course the high price are only things that makes me hesitate, slightly.

Btw, speaking of growers and showers, I remember reading on DPReview forums recently someone claiming Olympus lenses can't actually be weather-sealed because they are not internal zooms, which I thought was funny. I think maybe people make too much of a big deal about internal zooms in general.

Real Name
Walter
8-25mm F4 doesn't just extend when zoomed in, it also extends when zoomed out, so I think that is a legitimate complaint. That and of course the high price are only things that makes me hesitate, slightly.

Btw, speaking of growers and showers, I remember reading on DPReview forums recently someone claiming Olympus lenses can't actually be weather-sealed because they are not internal zooms, which I thought was funny. I think maybe people make too much of a big deal about internal zooms in general.

I think the DPReview forum comment perfectly illustrates the ignorance and lack of knowledge you find on DPR. Others, as well as I, have experienced that Olympus lenses are well weather-sealed even if they extend, having used the ZD 50-200 SWD, 12-40 Pro, and 12-100 Pro in wet and rainy conditions. Check Robin Wong's hands-on hosing down his 8-25 and camera.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think the DPReview forum comment perfectly illustrates the ignorance and lack of knowledge you find on DPR. Others, as well as I, have experienced that Olympus lenses are well weather-sealed even if they extend, having used the ZD 50-200 SWD, 12-40 Pro, and 12-100 Pro in wet and rainy conditions. Check Robin Wong's hands-on hosing down his 8-25 and camera.

I'm not even the kind of guy who deliberately goes out into the rain, or washes his camera and lens under the faucet, but I never even thought about zooming in possibly compromising the weather-sealing of my 12-100mm either. Same with the whole lens "rattling" issue of 8-25mm F4. I never even thought about shaking any my camera equipment before. I wondered if I worry too much about my gear, but somehow other people are even more ridiculous.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You know what they say about ass_u-me.

It is all in the design.
A GOOD gasket/O-ring design will keep out water.
If an O-ring piston can be designed to hold pressurized air, it can certainly be designed to hold back water under no pressure.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm not even the kind of guy who deliberately goes out into the rain, or washes his camera and lens under the faucet,
I have done both and both times with extending lenses. Yesterday it was mostly a rainy day but I went out to a particularly lovely cemetery in what was mostly a break from the heavy rains to shoot. Days like that under a lot of trees offer very even lighting so you don't get a lot of harsh contrasts between shadows and sunlight. It was kind of sprinkling for most of that time but towards the end the rain started up and my camera and lens were definitely "wet". Example shot...

51290576994_8dacf7a9a4_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
2021.07.03-16.17.10 by Patrick, on Flickr

so don't let a little rain deter you if your equipment is weatherproof. Take advantage of the light which is great for certain situations.

And one time I spilled beer on my E-M1 + MMF-3 + 12-60 SWD at a BBQ party. A quick rinse under the hose and I was good to go. Nothing ruins a party for you then potentially destroying a couple grand of equipment from a beer mishap. I love my Olympus weather sealing!

So I'm trying to decide on a higher-end zoom for landscape photography, and where I may be hiking for 5-10 miles. Waterproofing is a necessity. I'd like something wider than the 12-100 that I already have. The options would seem to be Oly 7-14, PL 8-18, and this new Oly 8-25. The 7-14 is bigger, heavier, more expensive and won't take standard filters, so it's probably out. Between the PL and the new Oly, the PL is cheaper, lighter, and has 2.8 at the wide end. The Oly has more range and a few functions like focus stacking that will integrate with my EM1.3.
Any other reasons to choose the Oly over a PL8-18?

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Source: https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/micro-four-thirds-lenses/olympus-8-25mm-vs-panasonic-8-18mm/

Oly has
19-25mm range
Better close up range and better magnification.
Fn button that can be programmed on you r E-M1.3
Manual Focus Clutch (Panny does have an AF/MF switch however)

Those are the factual additions with the Oly. The rest of the stuff that article mentions I will call "opinions" and preferences. Even the sharpness and distortion examples to my eyes mostly look identical and differences "shown" (again I don't really see them) are for the ultra-picky-super-pixel-peeping crowd. In my opinion optical quality looks identical enough in the shared focal and aperture ranges.

DrWu

New to Mu-43
So I'm trying to decide on a higher-end zoom for landscape photography, and where I may be hiking for 5-10 miles. Waterproofing is a necessity. I'd like something wider than the 12-100 that I already have. The options would seem to be Oly 7-14, PL 8-18, and this new Oly 8-25. The 7-14 is bigger, heavier, more expensive and won't take standard filters, so it's probably out. Between the PL and the new Oly, the PL is cheaper, lighter, and has 2.8 at the wide end. The Oly has more range and a few functions like focus stacking that will integrate with my EM1.3.
Any other reasons to choose the Oly over a PL8-18?
8-25 and 12-100 have same filter size 72mm so you don't have to buy separate filters for 8-25. I have 12-100 as well and possibility to use same circular polarizer and ND filters saved me about 200 €.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom