Olympus 8-25 f4 Pro leaked

Stringer

Mu-43 Regular
Went to pre-order lens from Getolympus.com and they are charging duty into Canada for this lens. So do not buy from them camera lens come into Canada under tariff number 9002.11.10 which is duty free. This is a money grab on their part

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
Went to pre-order lens from Getolympus.com and they are charging duty into Canada for this lens. So do not buy from them camera lens come into Canada under tariff number 9002.11.10 which is duty free. This is a money grab on their part

That's probably their shipping company, it's a very common cash-grab by shippers when going cross-border.

You're probably better off getting Henry's or Vistek to order one for you.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
The middle of Oly's lens line is becoming the f4 Pro zooms. They slot in below the f2.8's but above the consumer lenses. The mid-range unsealed consumer lenses are being replaced with lower-end PRO lenses for the most part.

There are two more telephoto zooms in the roadmap, if you've looked at it. One of them is almost assuredly a 50-200/4 (or very similar), which will likely be a $1k lens. Paired with the 1.4x TC that's your replacement for the 75-300 with better optics and AF.
There are actually three telephoto zooms on the roadmap, and that 50-200mm is grouped with the F2.8 lenses so I assume it will be F2.8 (successor to the old 50-200mnm F2.8-3.5?). It's that 50-230mm lens that is grouped with the F4 lenses, so I assume that will be F4 and directly compete with Fuji 70-300mm. But that could be a long way off (if ever), Fuji 70-300 is a more sure thing.

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
There are actually three telephoto zooms on the roadmap, and that 50-200mm is grouped with the F2.8 lenses so I assume it will be F2.8 (successor to the old 50-200mnm F2.8-3.5?). It's that 50-230mm lens that is grouped with the F4 lenses, so I assume that will be F4 and directly compete with Fuji 70-300mm. But that could be a long way off (if ever), Fuji 70-300 is a more sure thing.

I'm talking about the one grouped with the f4 lenses, I do not really expect it to go past 200mm. And I'm also expecting it will be the next zoom announced, as it will finish the f4 trio.

The one on the f2.8 group I'm expecting to be an IS replacement for the 40-150 with a little more reach (170-180)

The fade on the upcoming lens band makes exact focal length guessing difficult.

Stringer

Mu-43 Regular
That's probably their shipping company, it's a very common cash-grab by shippers when going cross-border.

You're probably better off getting Henry's or Vistek to order one for you.
I worked as material manager for over thirty years and had a couple of Canada custom audits and would not want to be putting the wrong tariff number down on a shipment or charging duty went it is not required. It can be very expensive far more than any duty they collect. A customs broker would not do it.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm watching Peter's video now.
Interesting that the lens is a retracting lens. You have to turn the zoom ring, to extend the lens to use it.
I'm not sure that I like that, but it is something that I probably could get used to.

What I did not like is that Peter said the zoom ring was stiff to turn.
Probably done because the zoom has to extend the lens to work, and to zoom.
And from what I could see in the videos (Peter's and DP Review), the zoom throw from 8 to 25 looks like less than 90 degrees. Less throw angle = less leverage to turn the zoom ring.
And the IPS weathersealing probably adds drag to the extending zoom mechanism.

Real Name
Chris
This lens looks great to me. I agree with their marketing hype. This could be the lens that stays on my camera 99% of the time while on an outdoor vacation.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm watching Peter's video now.
Interesting that the lens is a retracting lens. You have to turn the zoom ring, to extend the lens to use it.
I'm not sure that I like that, but it is something that I probably could get used to.
I'm no big fan of that solution. But guess they had to use some magic trick to be able to get this range :) otherwise it would have been bigger.
If I would have had an E-M1 this lens should have been an instant buy. Now there was a little too many things I'm doubtful of so I actually went with Panny 8-18 instead. Internal zoom, faster.

But whatever, the PRO lineup is pretty amazing! We have so many lenses of really top class now and very great range/size. Not available in any other system! Really cool.

One other thing that crossed my mind is that FF systems is said to be good for wide angle, but look at what they have. Nothing near of this! We have plenty of UWA zooms, ain't that funny? Ok, we have nothing wider than 7mm (rectilinear), and FF have that, by far. But aside from that. Plenty of interesting lenses now.

Ok, with that said. Let's keep on waiting for some new interesting top end bodies! :)

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
Except there already is an F4 "Pro" zoom trio. 8-25, 12-45, and 12-100. So maybe a quad? :hmmm:
No, that's a pair of pairs. Why would anybody carry both the 12-45 and 12-100? Although the 8-25 would pair up quite nicely with the 12-100.

The trio (or trinity as some call it) would be the UWA, normal and telephoto zoom combo that is the foundation of so many lens kits.

JonSnih

Mu-43 Veteran
A 70-250mm F3.5 is in development. Somebody at DPR forum hinted that several times. And his hints proven to be are accurate during last years.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
No, that's a pair of pairs. Why would anybody carry both the 12-45 and 12-100? Although the 8-25 would pair up quite nicely with the 12-100.

The trio (or trinity as some call it) would be the UWA, normal and telephoto zoom combo that is the foundation of so many lens kits.
Yeah, I wouldn’t want to have that combo either. The 12-100 is the anomaly here, since it’s a super-zoom. Even the 12-45 loses a lot of value since you only gain 25-45. I don’t know if I’d group any of the F/4s into a trio, like say the PL8-18, PL12-60, and PL50-200. Those have a small amount of overlap, but cover the zoom ranges more traditionally. OMD needs two new lenses with equally unique ranges to make a companion set of lenses. 20-65 and 50-200 maybe?

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
I think this lens is akin in spirit to 12-100mm F4, designed to be all-in-one solution instead of paired with another lens. Of course, both can share the same 72mm filters, they complement each other well, but not having to carry two lenses or change lenses is their whole appeal.

Other than lack of filter thread, being too bulky and heavy to carry with my 12-100mm is one of the things that held me back from 7-14mm F2.8. The 8-25mm F4 is at least versatile enough to allow me to leave 12-100mm at home. 8-25mm is really perfect range for cityscape/street, it might end up becoming my main lens.

A 70-250mm F3.5 is in development. Somebody at DPR forum hinted that several times. And his hints proven to be are accurate during last years.

There was something like that hinted on older versions of the roadmap, but now it's a ~50-230mm that is hinted.

It's interesting that this could be only the second "Pro" zoom with reach beyond 150mm. Arguably this should be the main advantage of the system, and Olympus/OM still hasn't fully capitalized on it. So I think it is actually fair criticism from MichailK. But looking at the roadmap, I think it is safe to say Olympus/OM already recognizes their mistake and are working to fill that gap.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not carry, but have to pick from.
I have both the 12-40 and 12-100.
Which one I pick to take on a shoot depends on the details of the shoot.
If the zoom range is a factor, like at a daytime graduation, I take the 12-100.
If I will be carrying all day, the 12-100 it isn't a lens I would want to carry all day. I would compromise the reach of the 12-100 for the lighter 12-45.

Starting at 12mm, there are at least three different branches of the fork you can go up, to make a trinity.
  • 12-45/4 + future 50-200/4 (or whatever that lens will be)
  • 12-40/2.8 + 40-150/2.8
  • 12-100/4 + 100-400
And even with these, you can cross paths to make more combinations.
Like: 12-45/4 + 40-150/2.8 and 12-40/2.8 + 50-200/4

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
I think this lens is akin in spirit to 12-100mm F4, designed to be all-in-one solution instead of paired with another lens. Of course, both can share the same 72mm filters, they complement each other well, but not having to carry two lenses or change lenses is their whole appeal.

I think it's more aimed at the 2 lens kit, think of how well it would pair with a 40-150 Pro or a notional 50-200, with common filter threads and a small gap between the two lenses.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom