1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 75mms 1.8. What's your take on the price?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by gdourado, Jun 17, 2012.

1. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal
    Hello.
    How are you?
    So, I was browsing my usual online store for photo gear and they already have the 75mm listed for 899 euros.
    I am a bit disappointed because I really expected it to be a bit cheaper.
    I know it is going to be a high quality lens, but one with a limited use. So I just don't know...

If you have an APS-C camera, you have the Nikon 85mm 1.8 a lot cheaper or the canon 85mm 1.8.

For roughly the same you have the sigma 85mm 1.4 for aps.

If you have a full frame, for just a bit more you have the 135mm f2l.

So, given this, what's your take on the 75mm and your interest in it?

Cheers

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Olympus and Panasonic have decided that a good portion of their target market is willing to pay those sort of prices for good, small lenses. You're right that the 135/2 has some significant advantages over the 75/1.8, but it does weight more than twice as much, and for some, that's a worthwhile tradeoff.

Personally, 75mm on m4/3 is a bit long for my uses (portraits) and $900 is definitely far more than I'm willing to spend on any prime lens. So I have zero interest in it.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  3. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I have no practical use for a 75mm lens...but I think the $900 price tag on our side of the ocean is easer to digest than 900 euros. If it's on-par, quality-wise, with the 12mm, I think the price is as expected.

4. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I keep going back and forth on whether to get the 75mm or not. Honestly if it was $699 with the hood then I would get it for sure. The fact that olympus is so cheap to not include the hood, plus price it where they have just keeps stopping me from preordering.

I really don't understand olympus's lens strategy, expensive 12mm, cheapo not very good 17mm, relatively cheap 45mm that is a great performer, and now a expensive 75mm. I think they would have been better off putting out all four of those lenses with the same build/costing as the 45, it strikes the perfect cost/performance balance for the system IMHO.

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I paid a similar amount for the 12mm and haven't regretted it for a second. Because I use it a HUGE amount. I wouldn't anticipate getting much use out of the 75mm, so I wouldn't pay nearly that much for it, bit if it was a lens I saw myself using a lot, if likely find a way to buy one.

-Ray

6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    For me it's a focal length and aperture that I'd find hugely useful, so if the quality is there then the (US) price is acceptable...

The lack of hood is shameful.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

I haven't made up my mind on that lens yet.
    I do think it is very expensive for such a little used focal length.
    But it also will depend on how good the lens will be.

8. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    For me it's definitely more of a want than a need.

Built like the 45mm and $549 then it wouldn't matter as much if I didn't use it every day.

9. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I would bet this is going to be sharp wide open just like the 45mm F1.8 and 12mm F2.

None of the Canikon lenses in this range and aperture are sharp wide open, in fact they exhibit heavy optical aberrations and are barely usable.

10. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Probably just their attempt at pleasing everyone. I personally would prefer other primes to be in the caliber of the 12mm even if it came with a higher price tag, but too bad I wouldnt get much use out of 75mm to justify purchasing it. A metal 17mm and 25mm would be great though.

11. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    The 75mm focal length is obviously a very specialized lens. It is not a focal length that I use much, so regardless of price, I am not too interested in this lens. If they price too cheaply, I might be tempted to get it purely out of GAS, but it will end up collecting dust in my cabinet.

So, what do I think about the pricing? I have no problem with the price that they set for this lens. People who like this focal lens will definitely be willing to put up the money for this lens. People like me will give it a pass even if they sell it at a lower price, and I believe Olympus fully understand that this is a lens for a niche market and priced it appropriately...

12. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    New Nikon 85mm 1.8g ($500) doesn't seem to fit your description....Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/1.8 G (DX) - Review / Lab Test Report - Analysis

Also have to remember that primarily these lenses are geared toward portrait use where depth of field is of more importance than exposure speed. Therefore you can stop down the APC(1 stop) or FF(2 stops) and achieve the same DOF as the 75mm 1.8, so comparing them wide open is not necessarily apples to apples.

13. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Why metal? Ever had a plastic lens fail? I have never even heard of the plastic failing so why pay more and have a heavier lens?? Seems the only reason is perception that somehow metal is better...

14. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    THis is true, I forgot Nikon just released very modern F1.8 G lenses that are excellent all around.

If I'm not mistaken though, these are not fast contrast detect lenses made of metal and are much larger.

15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    In the Canon FF world, I think the comparison should be either the 135mm f/2 L or the 200mm f/2.8 L. The 135mm is a bit over $1000USD and the 200mm is a bit under $800USD. The Oly is somewhat in the middle. If the Oly's performance is in the same ballpark as the Canon L's (The color is for Mr. Panther), then I'm good with the pricing ... we all want everything as inexpensive as possible, but I think it is priced accordingly (but as least toss in a lens hood, not doing so is so cheesy that Olympus should be embarrassed).

The 150mm FOV is an odd length for me. I had a 135mm in the film only days but preferred my 85mm or 180mm to the 135mm. Purchasing the Oly 75mm is a hard call as I am wondering if I should wait for a fast native lens in the 200mm range.

Gary

16. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Size wise they are really close. Contrast detect is a software thing so why would that make the lens cost more. Metal.... thats been my point all along... why metal? Doesn't make the lens take any better pictures, just needless weight and cost. Plus the Nikon has basic weather sealing whereas the Olympus has none.

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Having owned and shoot with the Canon 85mm, 100mm, 135mm and 200mm lenses, I disagree with your assessment as barely useable (which, of course, is a judgement call by both of us).

Gary

18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Historical data and my own personal experience has show that plastic lenses will break/misalign sooner than metal lenses.

Gary

PS- Weather sealing doesn't make the lens take any better pictures either ... except under inclement conditions.
    G

19. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Gary, is that from professional use experience, or that of the average amateur that makes up 98% of olympus's market? Good quality modern plastics can gave nearly the same strength and be made more thermally (expansion/contraction) stable than metal.

As far as weather sealing, my point is if you are going to go the (more costly) route of a rugged metal body, why not weather seal it as well. At $899 if it were weather sealed and came with the hood I would personally be alot more enticed.

• Like Like x 2
  20. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    My take on the price is that I won't be buying one as long as I'm on a $100/month photography budget. For that matter I won't even be able to get an OM-D until sometime next year...