Olympus 75mm Noisy Focusing

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by pertgate01, Jan 19, 2013.

1. pertgate01

pertgate01 New to Mu-43

Jan 31, 2012
    I just received my Oly 75mm f1.8. It is one FINE lens. However, I noticed there is a "robotic noise" when it is hunting for autofocus. In dim lighting, it always needs to hunt a little before locking focus and it makes this exact sound in the youtube video.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2UzlyK2QEg]75mm focusing - YouTube[/ame]

Regardless of lighting, it makes that sound--even in broad daylight. It is just noticeably worse in dim lighting because it is hunting.

I tried to perform a search on this issue, and it seems that some copies exhibit this and some are "completely silent". But in all the threads I looked up, there was no consensus on if this was normal. It doesn't seem like a well documented issue because my google searches did not get many hits.

I know its not defective per se--the lens is sharp as a tack. Just a little annoying, and I would want to exchange it for another copy if this lens was meant to be as silent as the Oly 12mm or 45mm.
  2. pertgate01

pertgate01 New to Mu-43

Jan 31, 2012
    I really hope its "normal". I really hate the hassle of exchanging things. It would also mean I would have to exchange my OMD because of the rebate issue.
  3. feilb

feilb Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    I've got one. It's normal.

Some said it happened after a firmware update. Nonetheless olympus has confirmed it is normal operation.
  4. dino1891

dino1891 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Mine came like that. I did the firmware update hoping the noise would get fixed but it didnt
  5. Bmat

Bmat New to Mu-43

Jan 2, 2013
    Mine also is the same.
  6. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mine just arrived today....using on GH2

The focus is silent in good light, but as you have remarked this is a slight sound in low light.

My issue with focus was that the lens refused to focus for some of my test shots and it was not related to the amount of light.

I find the focus ring just a bit too easy to move. It's extremely smooth, but when I go to pick up the camera holding on to the lens I move it out of focus.

I have the camera set for Pre AF which I believe definitely speeds up the focus lock for my 20mm panasonic lens, so I've left Pre AF set.

I did remove and reattach the lens and the focus refusal hasn't happened again. I guess further testing will tell me whether this is going to be an issue.

Funny that 75mm isn't as long as I expected it to be. I'm used to the 1.6x multiplier with my crop frame dslrs.