1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 75mm long term thoughts?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Yoda, May 6, 2014.

1. Yoda

Yoda Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    I love photographing people and have always been drawn to olympus's 75mm prime lens. From what i've read it has always had superb reviews with the only flaw being a slight robotic noise when shooting in low light and its price. Its been a while now since its been introduced so i guess some of you may have owned it for a while so i'd love to hear some of your long term thoughts about this lens and how much you tend to use it as some people find this focal length a little strange. I'd also love to see photographs of your (Silver and black versions) on a black body OMD-E5 Any comments would be greatly appreciated

• Like Like x 1
  2. sdsyver

sdsyver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    I love the lens. With out a doubt one of my favourites. I almost alway have it in my bag or at least with me if I'm on the road. Some of my favourite photos have been taken with this lens.

3. Yoda

Yoda Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    Thanks for that sdsyver any comments about the noise issue on the 75mm that even Olympus seem to recognise? do you notice it much? or have they fixed this with firmware or whatever, the black version came out a little later does this suffer from it too, is it hardly noticeable ?

4. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I never heard of a noise issue on the 75, so I googled it.
    I guess you must be talking about audible noise, not image noise.
    Can't say that this has been much of an issue for me.
    Likely caused by focus hunting in low light low contrast situations...
    Rudy

5. Yoda

Yoda Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    Yeah sorry about that Rudy I'm talking about audible noise not image noise, just to clarify. Thanks for the reply by the way

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've never really noticed any noise. It's maybe a bit noisier than other primes, but really nothing to get disturbed about. Optically, it's peerless and the FL, whilst a bit long, is OK for indoor head and shoulders and anything outdoor. It also makes a good short sports lens and does great long landscape shots too. Given the IQ and build quality, the price is actually quite reasonable IMHO.

7. darrellc

darrellc Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    After buying the 35-100/2.8, I rarely use the 75/1.8. I'm thinking about selling and switching out for the 42.5/1.2 "Nocticron" once that lens drops in price as I use that focal length a lot more and can use the creamy bokeh for portraits.

Kind of strange, as a disproportionate share of my favorite shots have been taken with the 75. I'm just finding the 35-100 good enough relative to the 75 and much more flexible (I tend to prefer zooms in wide angle and esp. tele, but primes in between where I do the vast majority of my shots).

8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Never noticed any mechanical noise in using it.. but then again I only ever use SAF and if shooting video record the audio separately, so any noise it may make is irrelevant or unintrusive

Other wise it is a wonderful lens, and one I find very versatile, much more than I expected

it can do street

12260315256_fb3ff9f6e7_b. P2010033 by kevinparis, on Flickr

candid

12572094934_7880285cbf_b. P2090099 by kevinparis, on Flickr

nature

8508277176_87b8814dd8_b. P2240039 by kevinparis, on Flickr

studio

9111569537_0ab96d3451_b. P6220077 by kevinparis, on Flickr

and a whole lot more

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinparis2007/sets/72157632975120141/

we all have different needs, but I could quite happily live with just the 75 and 17 for an awful lot of my photography

cheers

K

• Like Like x 11
  9. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    I love the 75. I don't find the noise annoying or troublesome, however it is present in video mode more so than when shooting stills.

Mounted with an EM 5 and a GH3, I can't say that I'd fault it on either body. The images are stunningly sharp and the bokeh is rendered well too.

I don't find it an awkward focal length either - I actually find it a relief to have a prime with such a reach - especially during weddings when you're off to the side and often in low lit places, the 1.8 is fast enough and the image wide open is certainly sharp enough. I stop down to 2.8-4 if I'm shooting though, as I'm not obsessed with bokeh. At 2.8, I can't see the 35-100 competing wide open at this focal range. But I'm more of a prime fan anyways.

I can't say that it's a no brainer though considering the price and differing opinions, but to me it is; and the build / image quality make up for the price. I think it could be sold for even more.

10. sdsyver

sdsyver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    As others have said. I have not noticed noise at all. To be fair though the I don't notice the PL 25 either. It took me a bit to get used to the focal length but once I did I was in love

11. Yoda

Yoda Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    Some fantastic comments here guys, lucky my partner has the credit card on her now. Any chance of a photo of one mounted on a black OMD-E5 (in each colour) just to satisfy my curiosity ;)

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Sorry. My EM5 is silver.

I really like this lens. I paid under $500 for a refurb one on 20% off day. I like my lenses on the long side, and this one is sharp.

cows3-L.

By the way, Kevin, that whale shot is amazing.

• Like Like x 2
  13. 13thFloorPhotography

13thFloorPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    It is my go to lens for everything, whether outdoor portrait work, studio work, etc. I make it a point to use it whenever I can. To me, it defines the Micro43 system.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. vbi

vbi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    Cape Town
    Love this lens for candid and street photography as I don't like to get into people's faces. Also love the sharpness and the separation and that I can use it in all kinds of light. It's also way smaller than any 40-150 or 35 to 100 zoom and balances really well on my M1.

Never noticed any noise.

15. BaldEgo

BaldEgo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2013
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    How do you find it handles on the non-stabilized GH3? The reason I'm asking, is that I'm thinking about a GH4 some time in the future and would prefer to keep my 75mm rather than swap it for the Pani 35-100mm. I've gotten used to the 75 on stabilized Oly bodies, especially for street shooting when I don't always have time to brace -- I just may need to be more careful about my technique if I move to the GH4.

16. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    Before my recent trip to Cambodia I had decided to sell my 75mm and had advertised it in the local photography forum. However, after shooting with it on the streets of Siem Reap for 3 days I've completely changed my mind about this lens and there is no way I will part with it now. My only wish is that I had the black version rather than silver.

My previous paradigm is that I would only use this for portraits, which I don't do much of, but I found that it was great for shooting on the streets and even worked well, for shooting the motor traffic in Cambodia, in AF-TR mode. This lens is a lot more versatile than I initially expected.

Occasionally I notice. A little noise from the lens. At first I was concerned but now I don't really notice it.

Most of the photos in my 2 recent posts were using the 75mm f1.8.

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=64072

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=64061

17. bhima

bhima Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2014
    If I was a pro photographer making money from my photos or just had a good amount of cash to spend on a hobby, I'd grab that Oly 75mm in a heart beat. It is arguably the sharpest lens in the m43 stable, just above the Noct in many reviews. 150mm is long, but it gives you VERY good background compression and pleasing blur. Also, longer focal lengths tend to not distort people's faces as much as shorter focal lengths, so the subject you are shooting just look better as well.

If you are just looking for a long, sharp portrait lens and you don't meet the first two criteria, you should consider the Sigma 60mm 2.8dn. It is a gem of a lens. The other sigmas are good, but the 60mm is in a class of its own... besting even the Panny 25mm 1.4 for sharpness at f2.8. It is arguably the 3rd or 4th sharpest lens in the m43 portfolio, with very good contrast.

18. Yoda

Yoda Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    Thanks for all the comments guys, I think ill definitely get it and most likely get the black version as it'll probably it more stealth for shooting candids and street.Im in no way a pro or have much money either lol but i'm a great believer in you get what you pay for and it is nice to treat yourself in a while, keeps you going :)

19. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    If you're lucky like me, I found a used black one for 750 (with the hood).

Like others have said...this lens is awesome, not only in how sharp it is, but how well made it is. It's a serious tool for a photographer, that helps capture fantastically sharp images.

One of my favorite shots with this lens...it was -15 degrees that morning.

EM181429-20140228-20140228-X2.

• Like Like x 5
  20. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    It's a Godlike lens I cannot afford... yet!