1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 75mm Lenrentals break down

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mister_roboto, Jul 16, 2012.

1. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    • Like Like x 3
  2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Cool. Is it just me that finds Cicala one of the most interesting writers around?

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Very cool!

I also enjoyed the linked article for the comparison in build quality with the cheap CSC lenses. :eek: One interesting comment in that article, for me, was that these simple lenses breakdown less for them, versus the expensive/complicated lenses.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Not at all. The dude is fantastic to the poibt that he transitioned from running LensRentals to weiting for it

5. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Richard Cicala is one of my favs! Always entertaining.

He always has something witty to say about the expected reactions fromphoto-gear-internet-commenters.

6. soulofoto

soulofoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    cool article...they disassemble the lens!

7. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    This is very true.

I remember the whole P20 vs PL25 fiasco that occurred when he ran his own MTF tests on both lenses showing that the P20 was in fact sharper than the PL25 (something I have always believed using both). It was quite funny to read his response to the commenting trolls.

8. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Being an Engineer I appreciate the OCD quality of his work, and love seeing the inner working of the lenses.

The example where he'd gathered a lot of data and then noticed a pattern relating lens age to loss of image resolution that eventually led him to discover worn out and missing guide rollers in the zoom mechanism was outstanding.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/10/the-limits-of-variation

9. 938mm

938mm Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 24, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Excellent! Great to know how its assembled but I am not going to do it with my 75mm!