1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 75mm hoods and caps?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by krugorg, Sep 29, 2012.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Did anyone receive the Olympus hood for their 75mm? I think I remember a review/preview on the lens where they said the hood would include a cap that fit the end of the hood?

Also, anyone splurge on the accessory, silver lens cap? I was curious if this fit over the hood? I may be the only one, but I like slide on hoods, similar to what I had on my Pentax FA 31.

All that said... leaning towards going cheap with the B+W screw-in metal hood and then use a pinch cap. :biggrin:

2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    The silver lens cap is a luxury cap for the lens without a hood.

The hood actually reverses- so there's no cap for it. Although I image you could get a cap if you got a measurement of the opening.

• Like Like x 1
  3. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Thanks for the info, Dennis.

Are you able to get the lens cap (included) on with the hood mounted? I am guessing it is maybe like trying to get the cap on the 45/1.8 with the hood mounted... kind of awkward, but works?

4. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    The cap included the hood is just for the lens, not for the hood. It's possible to use it when the hood is on, but it's only cheap plastic one.

The hood is not cheap nor plastic :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Thanks, htc. I like cheap and plastic! I just wanted to make sure it was functional with the hood attached.

6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yes, it's one of those centre pinch caps like the cap that comes with the PL25.

It would have been nice if it had fitted the hood rather than the lens.

7. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    The hood is quite deep so I think you have to give the term "functional" a whole new meaning :biggrin:

Okay, with that lens cap you can turn that hood upside down and still use the same cap. Personally I never take that hood off nor use the cap. I have the protector filter though (and my T-shirt to clean it time to time)

8. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'd say it's 50% functional. I can get it off the lens while the hood is mounted but I feel very unsafe trying to put it back on the lens with the hood mounted. I always remove the hood to put the cap back on the lens so that only happens when I finish shooting.

I've got fat fingers and I find it a tight fit when I remove the cap, but all I have to do to manage that is to pinch and withdraw my hand. Putting it back on I have to somehow manage to get it into position above the lens and parallel to the plane of the filter mount. It's the parallel part that I find really difficult so I simply don't try.

• Like Like x 1
  9. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    That lens without the original hood is like a brand new Ferrari with aftermarket wheels. Or Olympus 75/1.8 with aftermarket plastic hood. Not good! To wet your pants over and over again you just have to buy the original :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Summary:

The 75/1.8 comes with a plastic Olympus snap cap that is "end" or "edge" push style.

The accessory cap is a metal push-on cap.

The hood comes with a plastic Olympus snap cap that is the "center" or "pinch" style, so that if you are nimble and have long fingers you can remove it with the hood mounted. It'd be a good bit harder to remove the end/edge-push cap, at least for me...YMMV... :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I've been using metal hoods with fitted pinch caps for all my lenses for some time now. Not so sexy on silver lenses but I don't care really.

I found several sellers on eBay who have them but i think this guy is the best. He has just about everything thread diameter and for each he has 3 options...Wide, Normal, Tele....check it out: New Metal Standard 58mm Screw-in Lens Hood + Cap | eBay

To each their own but there was no way I was spending $130 for a lens cap and hood, especially if the lens cap doesn't fit over the hood. I like to store all my lenses with hoods and caps permanently attached and I store them that way in my bag. Perhaps I'm just lazy but I don't like loose bits and pieces in my bag...this solution means every lens is ready to go, no reversing of hoods, no screwing on of hoods out in the field, no fiddling around the bottom of the bag trying to find stuff... simply attach lens to body and it's ready to roll.

These cost me about $7 - $10 each. Perfect.

oly75_cheap_hood. oly75_cheap_hood-2.

lens_hoods_n_caps-3. lens_hoods_n_caps-2.

• Like Like x 3