Olympus 75mm f1.8 - magic

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Iansky, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Well picked up the new kit on Sat; yesterday was my first play with it and as I had today off I decided to try the 75mm f1.8 - Amazing!

The lens is a solid metal construction that is fairly heavy for a Mu43 but a beautiful piece of glass and on the OMD focusses instantly, not an ideal lens for street due to focal length but it certainly captures great images.

Here are my contributions from today with this lens:

2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    The 75 just seems to blow everything away. I'm glad you have it.

3. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thanks Gary,

Great combo of OMD & 75 and so pleased with the results that I have even left the images in colour rather than converting to B&W as I normally do.

I do want to use it more for portrait work and some documentary work.
  4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Ian ..
    Congrats on new combo man and exellent pics . I love as all of ur shots always have a story to tell .How do u compare OMD with GX1? I did GX1 a lot but there were few drawbacks and I dont keep more than two cameras at the same time , so I had to sell it .
  5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Hi Bhupinder,

As much as I have enjoyed my long term relationship with my Panys (GF1 then GX1), I personally find the OMD is in a totally different league yet with a footprint not much larger the the GX1 - it is small, incredibly well made and offers a huge selection of flexibility, a camera designed by photographers for photographers.

The image quality is beyond belief and I never thought I would admit this but in my opinion IQ is on par with my Fuji X100 and possibly even with my old friend the D700 especially when viewed at 100% - just mind blowing.

I have had it for 2 days so on a steep learning curve but back to work tomorrow so more fun will have to wait until the weekend - I am really pleased with the lenses I have for it and it is now my prime kit - so much smaller, lighter and easier to carry than previous kit and great IQ .......what more can I want.

All in all Superfantanagicolodious!
  6. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Thanks for the photos. It's an enjoyable vicarious walk-about near your home town.
  7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thanks Savas,

We have a good mix of subject matter here
  8. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i love the dog shot
  9. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    I thought I was impressed with the OM-D and the 45mm, now I have to have a 75mm also :)

I took a few snaps of our 2 year old this weekend indoors with the 45mm, and its crazily sharp, absolutely love the combo.

I have 3 trips to London sorted out in the next 2 months, 1 for a week, so I am looking forward to some street work.

Right, who wants to sell me their 75mm :)
  10. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Great shots as always Iansky. Just wondering, is your town populated by mostly elderly people? Or is that just your preferred subject matter? I notice this in most of your photographs.
  11. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Thank you, Ian!

I got my 75 two days ago and find myself looking at the world differently. I'm actually a died-in-the-wool wide angle type, but the 75 is just so pleasing to handle and produces such beautiful images.
  12. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Hi Vin,

Thanks for the nice comments.

Because our town is old with a great museum going back to roman times as well as having Prince Charles just down the road, we get many tourist buses stopping so the passengers can walk around the town and enjoy the sights, many of these coach tours are older people from all over the world enjoying the "Cotswold tour".

I tend to photograph older people as they have more character and also enjoy sitting and watching the world go by, the youngsters are in a hurry or eating in the fast food haunts.
  13. Bhupinder2002

Thanks Ian , your town looks beautiful. I am planning to visit UK again in 2014 and will see if I could manage to have a coffee with you . OMD has put the MFT on world map and its the best mirrorless on the market bar none. I agree GH3 is equally capable but when it comes to size, IBIS , and optional battery grip , It becomes a lot more flexible .
    I love it and I dont think I am gonna sell it soon . Which color did you get ?
    I want black one actually .
  14. Bhupinder2002

OMD with Oly 12mm , PL 25mm , Olympus 45mm and 75 mm is the most deadly combo . You can shoot anything with it .
  15. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Cheers Bhupinder,

It would be great to see you if you make it over next year (2014), we are in the South West of the UK - a little town called Cirencester but we are close (around 35 miles) from great cities like Bath & Bristol.

What I will try and do is get a day off and we can meet up and I can show you the town.

I did think long and hard about OMD colour and ended up going with the black one, the silver lenses do not look too bad on it and the additional grip is superb especially the first part that is metal.

Sorry, I am rambling - just so enthralled with this little beauty!
  16. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Congrats on your new gear.
    Amazing images
  17. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thanks Morten - long may the honeymoon period last!
  18. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Nice one Ian

Looking forward to seeing more shots, keep them coming, I pulled the plug on a 75 which arrived Friday, finding it hard to resist an OMD

19. ShrubMonkey

ShrubMonkey Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2012
    Fantastic images, trying to resist the 75mm, told myself its not a focal length I'd use, but it's hard to resist :)
  20. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Cheers folks,

The 75 is an amazing piece of glass that produces razor sharp images and despite my initial doubts will prove useful for many events outside of straight portraiture.

Just wish Olympus would add bag & shade as part of lens kit as Pany do, especially when it costs so much for the lens!