Olympus 75mm f1.8 Grinding/Mechanical Noise or some kind of noise?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by all27x, Aug 14, 2015.

1. all27x

all27x New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2015
    Allen Panaligan
    I recently got the Olympus 75 f1.8 for my e-m10. I did some initial testing and everything seems to be pretty good producing a nice and sharp image. Anyways I didn't notice this until I was in a quiet room I started to hear some kind of grinding/Mechanical noise. For example, when I use Aperture mode I would hear the grinding/mechanical noise every time the shutter speed jumps from lets say 160 to 4000 and even small jumps I would sometimes hear it. I was wondering if this is normal for this lens or Is it a bad copy?

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    You sure it's not the IBIS noise?

Barry

3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It's the aperture stopping down to lower the amount of light hitting the sensor to stop it heating up.

Shouldn't grind though.

Edit: to test, bind a button to depth of field preview and set the aperture to f/22. Hit the preview button, does the noise happen?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    My 75 isn't quiet. It's always made a buzzing sound when focusing in and out. For the most part it's not noticeable outdoors, but when I'm indoors in a quiet atmosphere I do hear it and it's more pronounced when zooming in from near to far away and vice versa.

5. all27x

all27x New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2015
    Allen Panaligan
    Barry - Pretty sure it's coming from the lens itself

eteless - I did the test and I didn't hear any grinding sound. It's more of a opening and closing your camera sound.

m43happy - Seems like this Len's is a lot louder than all my lens which kind of concerns me. I did a little bit more testing Every time I move my camera left and right hitting and passing the main light or even the sunlight and I would hear something within the lens. Pretty much a shifting. Especially when the shutter speed goes from 4000 to 160 as I said. It's a little strange but it still produces great images.

6. m43happy

Feb 18, 2012
    Maybe it's the rattlesnake issue that a few other lenses exhibit on Olympus camera bodies? It's where the aperture blades close (and making a clicking sound) when going from a bright light source to a darker one quickly. I've had it happen on my PL25 and O75. I've gotten so used to it that I don't even notice it anymore.

7. all27x

all27x New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2015
    Allen Panaligan
    I'm beginning to think it is the rattlesnake issue. That's exactly what's happening. A drastic change of light or even a moderate change of light I would hear a clicking sound as you described. I guess it's a sound that made me wonder. As long as it's somewhat "normal" I guess I could accept it. Thanks for the clarification and help m43happy

8. m43happy

Feb 18, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.