1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus 75mm f1.8 Grinding/Mechanical Noise or some kind of noise?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by all27x, Aug 14, 2015.

1. all27x

all27x New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2015
    Allen Panaligan
    I recently got the Olympus 75 f1.8 for my e-m10. I did some initial testing and everything seems to be pretty good producing a nice and sharp image. Anyways I didn't notice this until I was in a quiet room I started to hear some kind of grinding/Mechanical noise. For example, when I use Aperture mode I would hear the grinding/mechanical noise every time the shutter speed jumps from lets say 160 to 4000 and even small jumps I would sometimes hear it. I was wondering if this is normal for this lens or Is it a bad copy?

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    You sure it's not the IBIS noise?

Barry

3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It's the aperture stopping down to lower the amount of light hitting the sensor to stop it heating up.

Shouldn't grind though.

Edit: to test, bind a button to depth of field preview and set the aperture to f/22. Hit the preview button, does the noise happen?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    My 75 isn't quiet. It's always made a buzzing sound when focusing in and out. For the most part it's not noticeable outdoors, but when I'm indoors in a quiet atmosphere I do hear it and it's more pronounced when zooming in from near to far away and vice versa.

5. all27x

all27x New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2015
    Allen Panaligan
    Barry - Pretty sure it's coming from the lens itself

eteless - I did the test and I didn't hear any grinding sound. It's more of a opening and closing your camera sound.

m43happy - Seems like this Len's is a lot louder than all my lens which kind of concerns me. I did a little bit more testing Every time I move my camera left and right hitting and passing the main light or even the sunlight and I would hear something within the lens. Pretty much a shifting. Especially when the shutter speed goes from 4000 to 160 as I said. It's a little strange but it still produces great images.

6. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Maybe it's the rattlesnake issue that a few other lenses exhibit on Olympus camera bodies? It's where the aperture blades close (and making a clicking sound) when going from a bright light source to a darker one quickly. I've had it happen on my PL25 and O75. I've gotten so used to it that I don't even notice it anymore.

7. all27x

all27x New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2015
    Allen Panaligan
    I'm beginning to think it is the rattlesnake issue. That's exactly what's happening. A drastic change of light or even a moderate change of light I would hear a clicking sound as you described. I guess it's a sound that made me wonder. As long as it's somewhat "normal" I guess I could accept it. Thanks for the clarification and help m43happy

8. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012