Olympus 75mm f1.8 - First Thoughts

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by 938mm, Jul 15, 2012.

1. 938mm

938mm Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 24, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Had the lens for a few days now. Haven't had the time to do serious shooting with it yet but I just wanted to share my first thoughts on it with you all.

At first sight, this lens looks beautiful! The looks give that instant certainty that its a high quality lens. I found the large front element just so wonderful to look at. The lens feels good in the hand and build quality is top class! The metal barrel and metallic silver finish feels just as good as the 12mm f2.0, if not better. In fact, I think the paint finish is better than that on my E-M5! It weighs in at 305 grams and for me, the size to weight ratio is well balanced. It's not heavy considering the amount of optics and metal that are in this lens and it feels well balanced on the E-M5 with the horizontal grip attached. Without the grip, it will be tiring after a while's use.

Auto focus is accurate, fast and silent. The manual focus ring is smooth but I would probably like a bit more resistance to it, similar to the resistance on the 12mm f2.0. Wide open the lens is very sharp and colors are well rendered. The bokeh is creamy and pleasing. Subject isolation is excellent! And the 75mm f1.8 does this better than the 45mm f1.8. The problem with using it wide open (not the lens problem) is that on a bright sunny day, the shutter speed exceeds 1/4000th second (the limit on the E-M5). The obvious solution is to use a ND filter but that means having to spend money on another filter.

So far, I'm very pleased with the performance of this lens and find the focal length not that difficult to use. I think the FL is very dependent on the user and with some thought, we can find situations and subjects where the FL will be very useful.

Here are some photos to show the performance of this great lens! All casually taken wide open with the E-M5, natural setting and are OOC JPEGS (no PP or cropping).

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 20
  2. TDP

TDP Guest

Fantastic shots my friend

3. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Thanks for posting your first impressions and samples. I think your thoughts are exactly what I envision the lens to me. I am still waiting for the lens to be available, but my em5 is now broken after fail firmware update. Kind of suck. I decided to get the gariz limited black case instead of the $300 grip. It adds 1cm to the bottom. I don't have big hands so hopefully the extra cm will be sufficient to provide enough of a grip for this and cv25 lens. Regarding to the Nd filter, how often do you find yourself needing to use a smaller aperture to achieve what you want. I mean at that focal you already get a much less dof already. I just wonder if it is worth it. Variable or just regular nd filter aren't that cheap. I also don't like a black barrow nd filter on the silver lens. I think it kind of ruins the look. I do have a variable nd filter for my cv25 because I think that focal will be use often. The 75 I think will be less used so not sure if i want add another nd filter. I managed to skip it for the 45mm f1.8.

4. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    The bokeh and subject isolation in the younger woman-older woman image is excellent and rivals that of my Nikon 85mm-D700 combination. Well done.

Thank you for sharing the images and your thoughts.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I really like no. 3. Very nice isolation between subject and background.

DH

6. 938mm

938mm Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 24, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Sorry to hear about your failed firmware update. Hope Olympus is giving you a replacement. I've read that some people have had the same problem as well.

In real bright situations, I have to stop the lens down to around f2.5 - f2.8 to keep the shutter below 1/4000 but the DOF and bokeh is still pretty good given the FL. I'm not going to get an ND filter for this lens because its not as if I am always shooting at peak sunlight hours with it. Also, if you find some shade you can get away with using f1.8. I like this lens a lot and will find use for it whenever and wherever I can. The CV 25mm is still my favorite and is the lens thats on my camera most of the time. I use a ND8 on that lens.

You will not be disappointed when you get your 75mm f1.8. :smile:

7. 938mm

938mm Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 24, 2012
    Hong Kong
    I think Olympus has done a very good job with the E-M5 and the excellent range of prime lenses such as the 12mm, 45mm and now 75mm. Although M43 format can never be a replacement for Pro gear, I have found that it satisfies 90% of my needs, which is why I finally made the big decision and parted with my FF Nikon gear.

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Just to put things into perspective, I really don't understand people who feel the E-M5 gets 'tiring' with a 300-500 gram lens hanging off the end of it. Bigger lens means more two-handed supported shooting for me. The 7-14 is about the same size and weight as the 75/1.8 (guesstimating here), and in no way makes the 'naked' E-M5 uncomfortable to hold.

While I'm sure the grip increases comfort to some degree, I want to emphasize that lack of said grip/cash for said grip should not prevent people from ordering 'larger' lenses.

9. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    I don't mean is tiring when shooting. Of course I'll be using 2 hands when taking the shot. I meant it can get tiring when you are walking hours holding it with one hand. The smaller grip on the EM-5 makes puts a bit of stress on the wrist. This is just my experience with the cv25.

10. 938mm

938mm Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 24, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Agree with dtchan. The bare E-M5 is a little uncomfortable holding in one hand for those with large hands when heavier lenses are attached. The extra grip adds more comfort and also provides a more balanced feel, even when two-handed supported shooting is used.