1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 75mm f1.8 compared to Legacy 85mm f1.8's

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by zapatista, Oct 22, 2012.

1. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike

• Like Like x 4
  2. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I'm interested. I rented the 75mm and liked it a lot but decided it's not worth the cost to me for a long prime. I'd rather invest the money in the 35-100 for something much more usable. The 75mm is a fantastic lens truly, I loved the images I did get from it. I'm leaning towards a legacy prime a bit shorter like the Minolta 58mm f/1.2 or the Konica 57 f/1.2. Waiting for a deal to arise, so if you can spark my interest in an 85 :wink:.

3. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    Very interested.

4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I'd like to see it too, but I cant help but think that its going to be the same as every tried and true legacy v.s native comparison.....both lenses are sharp but the native lens wins by a margin because of better controlled spherical and chromatic abberation.

I hope I'm wrong though, because I always cross my fingers for the underdog :biggrin:

5. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    I'd love to see that comparo. I have other Hexanons and love them.

6. SeeingtheWorldat25mm

SeeingtheWorldat25mm Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 28, 2012
    Japan
    Tom
    I'd like to see that comparison. I just picked up a Contax 85mm (but f2.8). I'll play with that for a while to see if I like the focal length.:tongue:

7. zapatista

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Ok...I'll try my hand at it tonite (US MDT) and a post couple of series. Just goofing around with hand-held shots last night, the 75mm is sharper to the corners fully open. Most of the Hexanons I have are a little soft at f1.8 or wide open (no surprise as mentioned before), especially the 40mm. Thanks for all the responses.

• Like Like x 1
  8. zapatista

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    A couple at f1.8 added to 1st post.

9. zapatista

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Crops from the EM-5...sorry my cropping/editing skills out of LR leave a good bit for future improvement.

Olympus 75mm f1.8 @f2.8
    Olympus_75mm_f2_8_m43_crop_1-1.

Konica Hexanon 85mm f1.8@2.8
    [​IMG]

Olympus 60mm macro f2.8 @2.8
    Olympus_60mm_f2_8_m43_crop_1-1.

10. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    While a comparison is good, it is difficult to get the setup correct. The images you have posted so far have white balance far off neutral. And furthermore they are not focussed, or at least I don't see the point of focus.

I don't mean to be a downer, but unless the shots are done with great exactitude, small differences in lens qualities will be masked by experimental variables. As I know from experience!

11. zapatista

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I did some updated auto focus snaps....the f1.8 shots with the Oly 75mm are out of focus posted (crop and full). This has been a good learning experience.

Test Conditions:
    EM-5-Auto White Balance/ISO 200 (base)
    Aperture "A" mode
    EV=0
    Tripod
    Manual focus on the "base" of the cathedral (2 shots each)
    IBIS off
    USB trigger used while I was standing 3 feet away after focus confirmation.
    2 shots taken with each lens at each Aperture setting with focus confirmed on LCD (not) EVF-14x magnification
    8 feet away from target-based on distance scale on the Konica focus ring (not measured).

White balance may be off, but not much, I was/am more concerned with the effect of the lighting-which could skew the results. rparmer-your feedback/criticism is much appreciated.

12. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    When I have done similar tests I have focused manually. Best to try three and take the best of. My opinion is that auto focus is for emergencies or live gigs where action is moving too fast for manual. This opinion has not changed since the eighties.

• Like Like x 1
  13. zapatista

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Updates on Testing

Well Here's a quick couple of pictures of the items tested. I've included a link to my flickr page with center crops of all lenses with stops ranging from f1.8 to f8.0. My apologies in advance about the presentation but I still think there's some useful information contained in the comparatives, though I still need to figure how to edit them to make the crops easier to directly compare. I'm happy to send anyone raw files who wants them. My quick take from the comparatives....the Olympus 75mm f1.8 is decently sharper wide open then the Konica Hexanon AR 85mm f1.8 but by f2.8 there's not much difference. The Olympus 75mm is sharper than the Oly 60mm macro at f2.8 (kinda a surprise) and the huge Canon FD is pretty awesome at f5.6. I think the Canon is sharper wide open up and down the focal length range compared to the Panasonic 100-300mm...though I haven't tested them side by side.

flickr stream:

Flickr: quetzalcoa's Photostream

Beasts of Burden:

Da_Equipment. Da_Equipment-2.

• Like Like x 1
  14. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    That is very, very useful info. Thank you so much for your hard work (and it is indeed a lot of hard work!).