Showcase Olympus 75mm f/1.8

Walter

Mu-43 All-Pro
Next to the 2,8/60 macro this has been my favourite lens since I got hold of a used one from a wedding photographer who had almost never used it (too long for inside shots) and sold it for roughly half the price. I took these just two days ago on a stroll through town.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter

Panolyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I'm still in awe at the quality of the photos shown above.
As I said in my earlier post, I'd love one but don't know if I could do it justice.

May I ask those of you who have posted some of the stunning shots, how much post processing (if any) has been applied to achieve such quality?
I'm not one for dealing well with all the in camera menus, simply happy to set aperture priority and basically hope for the best.
Similarly, when using Affinity (and I've never shot Raw) I just tweak levels and adjust brightness and contrast if required.

Am I asking too much from the 75mm without putting a bit more effort in?

Cheers in advance,
B.

joerg218

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jörg
As I said in my earlier post, I'd love one but don't know if I could do it justice.

May I ask those of you who have posted some of the stunning shots, how much post processing (if any) has been applied to achieve such quality?
I'm not one for dealing well with all the in camera menus, simply happy to set aperture priority and basically hope for the best.
Similarly, when using Affinity (and I've never shot Raw) I just tweak levels and adjust brightness and contrast if required.

Cheers in advance,
B.
I have (and had) much lenses, the 75 1.8 is definitly the one that doesn't need much post processing because it is so sharp and contrasty

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Sooc jpeg cropped.

Cheers in advance,
B.
Brian I'm not sure what camera you use, but what picture mode setting do you have for your images?
That affects the output for your raw files.
I use natural and collect jpeg in EM5 2, and Raw in EM1 2.

Hi Richard, I've got a Panasonic G7 and Olympus E-M10 Mkiii and as I mentioned above, I've never yet used Raw.
The jpeg is the one affected by what picture mode you use.
And also how that is configured in the menu for such.
Sorry I confused by mentioning my use in the EM1

I don't know anything about the Panasonic but imagine the EM10 has settings similar to the EM5

Walter

Mu-43 All-Pro

Hi Brian,
the portrait above was posted as it came from the camera, with the old window I had to brighten up the shadows because I had set the metering to the lights. Both are taken as jpg, I rarely use raw as I want to spend my time taking photos, not working on them. And I need a lot of time for my guitar, too.
This lens gets you phantastic results with no PP needed (if your brain cells are switched on).

shotsoftime

Mu-43 Rookie
guard cat. taken with em5 and 100% cropped.

i do notice that gx85 IQ is better than em5 ii and i'm toying with the idea of getting the sigma 56mm f1.4 and potentially selling my oly 75mm f1.8, having just sold off my pany 42.5 f1.7....

guard dog by L L, on Flickr

Real Name
Roddy

Cheers in advance,
B.
Brian, you could do what I did when I thought about buying a O75 - you could buy a Sigma 60 to dip your toes into that mid-tele photo focal length before splurging out on the real thing. Someone suggested the Sigma as a poor man's alternative and it's a very good lens to have in your kit. There's some great images on the showcase thread you can look at and the lens will not set you back a fortune - I paid €135 for mine, new. It's sharp, fast, contrasty and a treat to own.

Last edited:

Panolyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Thanks for the tip Roddy.
However, I'm a bit lazy and don't even use my 17mm and 45mm primes enough, relying on the kit zooms, apart from my macro efforts in the garden.
Even at the best of times I just consider myself a "snapper" taking photos when I see the opportunity and don't plan anything specifically.
Hence I really don't see myself utilising the 75mm to its ability, never mind mine. :rolleyes:

I must admit though, I have been impressed from what I've seen of the Sigma lenses but I think I'll hold off for now.
I do appreciate your interest, cheers, Brian.

Real Name
Lyle

Blue and Gold Macaw "Duke", 4

49785607761_60989eb7e6_o.jpg

Blue and Gold Macaw "Duke", 5

Real Name
Lyle

Hyacinth Macaw "Niele", 3

Hyacinth Macaw "Niele", 4

Panolyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Brian, you could do what I did when I thought about buying a O75 - you could buy a Sigma 60 to dip your toes into that mid-tele photo focal length before splurging out on the real thing. Someone suggested the Sigma as a poor man's alternative and it's a very good lens to have in your kit. There's some great images on the showcase thread you can look at and the lens will not set you back a fortune - I paid €135 for mine, new. It's sharp, fast, contrasty and a treat to own.
Well Roddy, in my reply to you I did say I was going to hold off for now.....
and I did for a few days..... and then today I looked right through the showcase thread you linked to.
The result is that I appear to have bought the last available lens in the UK!
I think I missed out on a black version by about two hours and so had to go for the silver, which was £20 cheaper anyway.
So, you've got a lot to answer for :hmmm: ......
but I'm sure I'll end up thanking you if it's as good as you say.
Cheers, Brian.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom