Showcase Olympus 75mm f/1.8

Graham_of_Rainham

Mu-43 Regular
One thing I have never learned, is patience. :redface:

When I'm given a new toy to play with, I rush head long into shooting without really considering what I'm doing. Consequently, this was taken with the camera just as it was given to me. We were pushed for time, as lots of people wanted to be the first to try the new lens, as well as the OM-D.

So what you see here is very much a grab shot, that I've cropped to clear background distractions. If this is what it can do in "amateur" mode, imagin how good it will be once I get over the initial excitement...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I did take quite a few other shots, with the 75mm mounted on my trusty old E-PL1. I really am impressed and see this lens becoming a true classic. :2thumbs:

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
I would love to see an upper half portrait (head to waist) with the camera in landscape (horizontal) orientation and f/1.8 with an outdoor setting in background.

Yes, I know... that's asking a lot... but would be VERY helpful if you can manage it! :smile: This is exactly the kind of outdoor portrait I like to shoot: (taken with 5DMkII and 200mm f/2.8L lens). And I think the 75/1.8 can get somewhat close to this look... but I want to SEE it.

Luke

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Luke
by cropping out the background, you've cropped out exactly what makes the lens so special.

938mm

Mu-43 Rookie
I would love to see an upper half portrait (head to waist) with the camera in landscape (horizontal) orientation and f/1.8 with an outdoor setting in background.

Yes, I know... that's asking a lot... but would be VERY helpful if you can manage it! :smile: This is exactly the kind of outdoor portrait I like to shoot: (taken with 5DMkII and 200mm f/2.8L lens). And I think the 75/1.8 can get somewhat close to this look... but I want to SEE it.
Here you go! Not exactly outdoor but taken indoor, ISO 1600, f1.8, RAW & processed in LR4.1, exposure adjusted and increased a little clarity. I would say that this lens gets you pretty close to what you're after. :smile:

One in portrait orientation

GRID

Mu-43 All-Pro
Here´s my first testshot.

nueces snapper

Mu-43 All-Pro
Here´s my first testshot.
You freaked out my cat. We were both sure there was another feline coming out of our computer screen. :2thumbs:

GRID

Mu-43 All-Pro
Took the 75 out on rally today, it´s a very nice lens for this also :)

lubov

Mu-43 Veteran

Honestly I could get that look with my GF1 , oly 45 and photoshop, but I do like my pictures too look a little less cartoony.
I know when it comes too skin retouching there is a huge variance in taste, but she looks plastic to me

tuanies

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Tuan Huynh

You just sold me on the 75mm. Now to find a way to convince the wife I need it.

cputeq

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jeremy

I might get this lens. I would *LOVE* to have that Datsun, awesome shot of a groovy car!

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Honestly I could get that look with my GF1 , oly 45 and photoshop, but I do like my pictures too look a little less cartoony.
I know when it comes too skin retouching there is a huge variance in taste, but she looks plastic to me
lubov... please... pardon me for my inadequacies and taste in portraits...perhaps you can lead the way... and light a better path to help me toward success... I imagine your taste and success in professional portraiture is at least as lofty as your gentility. :wink:

GRID

Mu-43 All-Pro
More motorsportaction with my 75mm, this time Formula Offroad from Iceland.

More images from this event on my site :)

NikkoExiledInSF

Mu-43 Regular
Those 4x4 dudes are *crazy* - and I loved the shots. Here's a few taken with my new Oly 75mm f/1.8

View attachment 225885

View attachment 225886

Highly recommended!

NIKKO

djonesii

Mu-43 Regular
Cant do action

Well .... this thread just proves it, I should sell my OMD, it just will never be able to do action shots.

Guess I'm doomed to look like Quasimodo from all that heavy CaniKon gear I'll be forced to carry ...

:rofl:

or maybe not.

Dave

Rudi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
lubov... please... pardon me for my inadequacies and taste in portraits...perhaps you can lead the way... and light a better path to help me toward success... I imagine your taste and success in professional portraiture is at least as lofty as your gentility. :wink:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Good one, Don! :thumbup: :smile:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom