Showcase Olympus 75mm f/1.8

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Graham_of_Rainham, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Graham_of_Rainham

Graham_of_Rainham Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    One thing I have never learned, is patience. :redface:

When I'm given a new toy to play with, I rush head long into shooting without really considering what I'm doing. Consequently, this was taken with the camera just as it was given to me. We were pushed for time, as lots of people wanted to be the first to try the new lens, as well as the OM-D.

So what you see here is very much a grab shot, that I've cropped to clear background distractions. If this is what it can do in "amateur" mode, imagin how good it will be once I get over the initial excitement...

I did take quite a few other shots, with the 75mm mounted on my trusty old E-PL1. I really am impressed and see this lens becoming a true classic. :2thumbs:
    • Like Like x 26
  2. hamadiscool

hamadiscool Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Please post a full body portrait at f/1.8! I have yet to see such a pic from this lens.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Yes. :wink:
  4. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    I would love to see an upper half portrait (head to waist) with the camera in landscape (horizontal) orientation and f/1.8 with an outdoor setting in background.

Yes, I know... that's asking a lot... but would be VERY helpful if you can manage it! :smile: This is exactly the kind of outdoor portrait I like to shoot: (taken with 5DMkII and 200mm f/2.8L lens). And I think the 75/1.8 can get somewhat close to this look... but I want to SEE it.

• Like Like x 13
  5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    by cropping out the background, you've cropped out exactly what makes the lens so special.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. 938mm

938mm Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 24, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Here you go! Not exactly outdoor but taken indoor, ISO 1600, f1.8, RAW & processed in LR4.1, exposure adjusted and increased a little clarity. I would say that this lens gets you pretty close to what you're after. :smile:

One in portrait orientation

• Like Like x 16
  7. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    Here´s my first testshot.
    • Like Like x 19
  8. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

You freaked out my cat. We were both sure there was another feline coming out of our computer screen. :2thumbs:
  9. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Still hope to get more time with the lens, but it's raining...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 10
  10. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    Took the 75 out on rally today, it´s a very nice lens for this also :)

• Like Like x 36
  11. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Looks good! I had wondered about using the 75mm FL for similar things and maybe some aviation.
  12. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    Honestly I could get that look with my GF1 , oly 45 and photoshop, but I do like my pictures too look a little less cartoony.
    I know when it comes too skin retouching there is a huge variance in taste, but she looks plastic to me
  13. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    You just sold me on the 75mm. Now to find a way to convince the wife I need it.
  14. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    I might get this lens. I would *LOVE* to have that Datsun, awesome shot of a groovy car!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    lubov... please... pardon me for my inadequacies and taste in portraits...perhaps you can lead the way... and light a better path to help me toward success... I imagine your taste and success in professional portraiture is at least as lofty as your gentility. :wink:
    • Like Like x 5
  16. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    More motorsportaction with my 75mm, this time Formula Offroad from Iceland.

More images from this event on my site :)
    • Like Like x 57
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. toshiro

toshiro Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    Olympus 75 1.8 just arrived, what an amazing lens. Wide open and heavily cropped (like 50%):

Untitled on Flickr
    • Like Like x 32
  18. NikkoExiledInSF

NikkoExiledInSF Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Those 4x4 dudes are *crazy* - and I loved the shots. Here's a few taken with my new Oly 75mm f/1.8

Highly recommended!

• Like Like x 26
  19. djonesii

djonesii Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    Cant do action

Well .... this thread just proves it, I should sell my OMD, it just will never be able to do action shots.

Guess I'm doomed to look like Quasimodo from all that heavy CaniKon gear I'll be forced to carry ...

or maybe not.

20. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Good one, Don! :thumbup: :smile:
    • Like Like x 2