1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jman, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I got my Oly 75mm f/1.8 today. Lucky...I got the last one in stock at Focus Camera, which was the only one anywhere I could find.

[​IMG]

Anyway, the lens is built beautifully, with an all metal silver finish. It's a little smaller and lighter than I thought from looking at pictures...slightly smaller than a full frame 85/1.8. Focus ring moves smoothly and with good feel.

And, if you've followed reviews from this lens, you know it's sharp. And I can confirm that it is indeed very, very sharp. Wide open it's already really sharp, with very pleasing bokeh. Stopped down, it can cut glass, and it is razor sharp from extreme corner to corner. Color and contrast are very nice. This is the first m4/3 lens I've owned where DOF is thin enough that I have to watch that I don't sway forward or backward and move the focus point.

It isn't completely perfect, though...it can have minor purple fringing on bright edges wide open, and there is some longitudinal CA, but both are well controlled for a fast telephoto and are easily fixed in Lightroom if desired. Overall, though, certainly not bad in this department.

AF is very fast. I even tried out C-AF with tracking on some runners and bike riders, and when I sucessfully locked on the subject (for the AF to track), it actually got a fair number in perfect focus. Not as much as I'd get with a pro DSLR, but it did really well, actually.

Some samples. I think all of these are wide open:

flowers_oly75.

girl_oly75.

tables_oly75.

chloe_oly75.

runner_oly75.

meter_oly75.

100% unsharpened crop of above:
    meter_crop.

chloe_fork.

• Like Like x 18
  2. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    Hmmmmmmmm............

3. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Jordan... did yours come from a USA retailer?

4. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Yes, Focus Camera in NY...USA stock too (not gray market). They don't have any more now, unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
  5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Great pics - love the gorgeous bokeh!
    I've got a dumb question... I've been shooting Nikon FX for a long time now and am just switching to Mu43. You mentioned that the 75 is just slightly smaller than a full frame 85 (which makes sense to me), but do the Mu43 lenses cover just the Mu43 sensor (as the DX lenses in Nikon and Canon cover the APS-C sensors), or is it really a bigger cone - big enough to cover a FF? If not, why would it be anywhere near the size of a FF 85?

6. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Yes it only covers the m4/3 sensor. As to why it's not smaller? The size advantage of a smaller image circle and short flange distance becomes much less at longer focal lengths. You still have a 75mm lens, and it's still got to be big enough to have the f/1.8 aperture...there's only so small that can be made. The big size savings in the telephoto range comes from the fact it's half the focal length of the same FOV on full frame. Compare the size of this lens to the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 and it's a LOT smaller.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Great samples to show the character of this lens. A few of those are real torture tests for axial CA, and while it isn't perfect, the lens comes through rather well IMO.

8. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I am supremely jealous of that lens. Great pictures, looks like it's a winner.

9. Jayradikal

Jayradikal Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2012
    Sydney
    nice images with it. How much did it set you back?

10. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Normal retail price...$899.

Here are some stopped down samples:
    Full image at f/3.2. Focus on the bridge:
    bridge_oly75.

100% center crop (well, close to center on the focused part):
    bridge_center.

100% extreme lower right corner crop:
    bridge_corner.

Full image of closer subject at f/4:
    ivy_oly75.

100% center crop:
    ivy_center.

100% extreme lower right corner crop:
    ivy_corner.

• Like Like x 6
  11. ashishbajoria

ashishbajoria Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2012
    Superb ! Love the photos ! Have a silly Q. would the bokeh on this one be diff from the one u get from a oly 45 1.8 ? Also. What wud u essentially get a 75mm for, if I have the 45 say.

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Very impressive!

13. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    It would be more "creamy" with the longer focal length, but I'm not sure if the real world difference between the two would be that noticeable. Other than having more reach (Robin Wong's fantastic ninja street shots), the thing that would be noticeable is the background compression.

14. ashishbajoria

ashishbajoria Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2012
    Thx ! I guess I will save my money for a nice wide then :)

15. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    oh yeah- and the 75mm is also probably the sharpest ยต4/3 lens by leaps and bound, so it has that in its favor as well.

16. las Palm as

las Palm as Mu-43 Regular

IMpressive!!,

17. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Good, I had a sudden bout of GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) and went out and bought a 75 1.8 yesterday.

In some respects it is very like the 45 1.8. For instance, if you took a half portrait shot of a person, you would obviously have to stand further back and the actual DOF would be almost exactly the same with either lens.

The difference would be that you would compress the background which you can see illustrated here.

Full camera RAW and JPEG samples using the new Olympus m.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 (Four Thirds User)

When you first buy the 75 the most obvious difference between the 45 is the build quality. The 45 is a fantastic lens but with the build quality of an Austin Allegro. The 75's build quality is quite superb, exquisitely small but weighty like a piece of gold and cupping it in one's hand it feels how I imagine Rihanna's left buttock.

I havent got to use the lens yes apart from a couple of test shots as its been pissing with rain but from a practical point of view it allows you take shots of people without invading their space.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Haha, who would think you could talk about Rihanna and an M43 lens in the same sentence! :biggrin::tongue::wink:

19. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Do you mind if I politely disagree? Both make your pants w... :rofl:

I just hope our cultural differences would allow this kind of joking? My apologies if not.

• Like Like x 1
  20. montaggio

montaggio Mu-43 Regular

Man, that would look nice in black on my E-M5