Olympus 75mm below £700! (UK)

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by chasm, Sep 7, 2012.

1. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
  2. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    And seventy quid for the lens hood !
  3. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
    An aftermarket hood will cost a lot less. You don't need one branded "Olympus".

I'm wondering whether there will be many takers for this lens, and what kind of people will buy one. In 35mm film days, and on full frame digital, no-one wanted a 150mm lens so the manufacturers didn't make one. It was too long for portraiture and too short to be a general purpose telephoto.

So I wonder why anyone using (m)4/3 would want a 75mm.
  4. esuohe

esuohe Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 19, 2010
    Hmm. Not so sure about that...

The 135mm length was, and continues to be, wildly popular and useful. Many portrait and glamour shooters prefer the longer length as well.

Also, think: indoor sporting or concert/musical events where available light is all that you have to your disposal. 150mm equivalent FoV with f1.8 is seriously, seriously useful.

5. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    Just seconding the recommendation for the retailer, I bought my e-pl3 and Oly 45mm from them. Knowledgable bunch of guys with a real shop you can walk into and everything...although I bought online - wrong side of London!

If the 75mm was cheaper I'd leap at it; the 45mm crops down well for a tiny tele lens, the 75mm would have been awesome at the Olympics!
  6. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    There is another good reason why this lens makes a lot of sense. Consider for a moment depth of field control and how it varies at distance. The 45mm can give very shallow DoF but only at fairly short distances, the 75mm can I imagine do the same but from much further range. For those coming from full frame cameras or even fast lenses on APS-C I imagine this could be a big plus.
  7. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    As esuohe says, 135mm was and is a popular choice for FF (D)SLRs. 150mm is very close to that.

Moreover, many people use a 70-200mm for FF DSLRs, zooming from 80-90 to more than 150mm.