Olympus 75mm 1.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by xdayv, Feb 17, 2012.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    anybody excited with this lens? (Because probably this will be my next lens if the Pana-Leica 25 1.4 doesn't get in the way.)

This will be an excellent street photography lens for a little bit reach than the 45. And for tighter portraits. :biggrin:

what do you think?
  2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I would love this lens, but as a Panny body shooter I really want IS. Ditto for the 45mm.

Maybe the new Oly OM-D camera can win me over, but then I could not afford the lens until next year.

Too bad they did not agree so the same IS approach.

3. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I've got to see the price first.

Olympus is all over the map. The 45mm can be had for about $330 (from Asia), which is a screaming bargain, yet the 12mm runs more like $700. My point is that this lens might be a bargain, or it might break the bank.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Actually, there is a reason for that price differenc and I'm sorry to say but it doesn't look good for the 75mm. The 12mm is meant to be a "higher grade" lens, and it is shown by the all-metal construction which the 45mm does not have (probably because if the 45mm was too expensive it would have a hard time competing with legacy fast-fifties). The 75mm is going to have an all-metal build as well. I'm not saying that an all-metal build makes it high-grade, but rather that being high-grade makes it eligible to be manufactured with an all-metal body..
  5. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Sure, but waiting for more detailed specs. If they live up to the standards Olympus set with the 12mm and 45mm, it could could be a great lens. But the info so far says it will not be available until later this year. It is also a very different perspective from the 25mm.

6. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    eh, I don't know... 75 doesn't seem like a fantastic focal length to me, so it's not high on my list. If the IQ and bokeh is incredible, I might give it a look, though.
  7. rgeorge911

rgeorge911 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    Bokeh should be awesome

Oh, I think the bokeh at 75mm f1.8 will be magnificent. For me, vibration reduction is the only issue, since I shoot Lumix bodies. Even though I shoot in low light a lot (especially concerts), with f1.8 and the high iso capability of the DMC-G3, I think I can live without OIS.

My Lumix Blog: DMC-365.blogspot.com
  8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I've always wanted more reach & have never been much of a wide angle shooter....

Thus I'm REALLY looking forward to this 75! :bravo-009:
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm all over this lens. Love the focal length. Can't wait!
  10. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I really do think/know it will be hot...but NO weather seal?! :confused:

I really think I won't buy any more lens (esp anything that can be considered Telephoto) that isn't weather sealed....
  11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Same here, if it's small. A teleconverter option would be nice too (1.4X).

Would have been happier if they could have combined it with the 60/2.8 macro - say a 67/2.2 macro. Perfect for long portraits, and for macro too. Oh well...

12. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I think I'll end up with either this or the supposedly upcoming 35-100 to replace my current 75-300 as my telephoto walk around. I will say that thanks to that lens, I've really learned to love the 75mm focal length. It's long enough that you really get the telephoto compression, but still wide enough to get multiple elements in the shot. I went out to test my recently acquired 12mm today and kept finding myself switching to the 75-300...
  13. yhbae

yhbae Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2011
    I would be interested in this lens too, if it is not expensive.

Why would Oly want to build an expensive lens and sell much less? If this lens was priced like the 45mm instead of 20mm, I would think they will sell far more, and higher overall profit? Or is lens such as this difficult to mass produce?
  14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I ***suspect*** it will be priced somewhere between the 45mm & the 12mm....

Time will tell :smile:
  15. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    I like how the 135mm in full frame compresses tight portraits... and this is as close as I can get at 150mm equivalent.
  16. ibcj

ibcj Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    I'm guessing more towards the 12mm.