1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 75mm 1.8 or 60mm 2.8 Macro

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Zariell, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Well I'm in a dilemma, I am about ready to pull the trigger on the Olympus 75mm f/1.8, however while looking at it at the local camera store, the sales person keep trying to push the 60mm f/2.8 macro, and she kept telling me how superior it would be to my Panasonic 45mm f/2.8 macro.

So I'm home and thinking, I do a ton of close up work, and usually I switch out between my 45, my Panny 25 and on rare occasions I have a 4/3 Olympus 35mm f/3.5, I honestly am not sure if having another macro lens would really be a benefit, of the same token the 75mm would be great for things that the 60mm doesn't bring into the party. I own the 45mm f/1.8 which I love but the minimum focus distance pretty much keeps it in the bag unless I'm doing portraiture or other non macro work.

So long story short we got anyone on here who has both of these lenses and can give me a word or two of advice on the performance as compared to what I already have, keeping in mind I have budgeted for the 75mm so the price isn't an issue, if I went with the macro I just buy another toy, much to the annoyance of my better half :biggrin:

2. enzodiac

enzodiac Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Sweden
    Andreas Fougner
    I have thought about the same thing. I have the 60mm macro already and it is truly an awesome macro lens. While the 60 certainly works for normal shooting it is probably a bit slower to focus then the 75. And then there is the aperture as well. I will get the 75 as well. The 60 will be my dedicated macro lens.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dino1891

dino1891 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Go with the Olympus 75mm :biggrin:
    I use it more often that I originally anticipated. It produces a look that I didn't think was possible on micro four thirds.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    I ended buying both, thinking i could resell one.
    If i was doing it atm i would sell the 60mm.
    ( I am keeping the 60mm because i find it much easier to use and lighter than my 105mm kiron .
    But my macro photo skill is pretty close to zero yet.)

The AF is way better on the 75mm even using the 0,40m+ selection on the 60mm, that makes a HUGE difference with my 6 year old son.

• Like Like x 1
  5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    There is a difference between the 45 macro and the 60 macro. I've had both. It is certainly not enough to exchange one for the other unless you prefer the slightly longer focal length. The differences are small.

Get the 75mm you want.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  6. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    I don't own either lens so this is only a suggestion:-

If the Pana 45mm is giving you enough working distance then there is no real reason to buy the 60mm Oly.

However if you need greater working distance e.g.for insects then look if the 60mm will give you enough. I considered buying the 60mm but thought it would not give me enough extra distance over the 12-50mm Oly kit lens and found my old FF Tamron SP 90 made things easier because of the distance it provided even though manual focus. (Makes a good MF sports tele as well due to the smooth focusing making follow focus easy to do)

If the 60mm will give you the working distance required then it's still an option but I would go with the 75mm and only purchase a different macro if/when I needed more working distance (and the legacy Nikon, Tamron and Tokina 90 to 105mm macro ranges could provide this).

Yes the 75mm is on my "want one" list.

• Like Like x 1
  7. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    I can comment working distance when comparing PL45 to mZD60 in 1:1 magnification. With hood on PL45 has better minimal working distance than mZD60 :wink: Below are distances between front lens element and subject in 1:1 magnification.

PL45 hood on 4cm / hood off 6.5cm
    mZD60 hood on 3.5cm / hood off 8cm

• Like Like x 2
  8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I'd go with Gordon's advice. You already have a macro, the difference in IQ between the two isn't significant, so expand your system. The O75mm is wonderful. Equal to if not better than my 200L, I'd say equal to the 135L. You will have no regrets purchasing this lens.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  9. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Nice thing about the 60mm hood is you can simply slide it back! If I'm doing close 1:1 the hood, which I just recently got, retracts backs anyways, that thing is long!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Thanks for the advice all, after reading I went back into LR and did a bit of browsing, asking myself if the shot would have benefited with the 60mm lens instead of my two macros, and pretty much for what I use them the most (toys) I didn't come up with more than one or two shots.

So based on the advice and that I think I shall add the 75mm, :redface:

11. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Any one tried the 75mm with the Kenko extention rings?

12. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    If I had the 45mm I would do the same. Actually I probably would sell it, buy the 60mm and the 75mm. For me the weather-sealing is really cool, I use the 60mm all the time here without worrying about that aspect. Other than that I wouldn't change from the PL45 to the 60mm for any other reason than the better limiting switch.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Without actually having some test time with the 60mm I wouldn't even think of selling the Pana 45mm its just that good in my humble opinion, however given a few days to test out the 60 I might just be willing to switch :p

14. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Well I was going to be in SLC in April, doesn't look like that is happening now (due to imminent job loss) and would've gladly let you use it for a couple of days. :frown:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    That bites, its never good to lose a job :(

16. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Probably for the best, I busted my ass and made this company a lot of dough. At least I know that I did what I could and made the best of a lousy situation.

Life throws you some curves at really unexpected times. But I've had the greatest last year of my life, and plan on continuing that forward. No more camera gear for me for a bit. But really I don't need or want anything else, good news the rumor is Panasonic won't be coming out with the 42.5/150 this year :wink:.

• Like Like x 1
  17. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    THIS.

Unfortunately I cannot afford either. So threads like this are painful.

18. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    I don't have the 60 or 75, but I have The Bokina and I know what a sharp lens looks like. In my opinion, a Raynox DCR-150 on any sharp MFT lens is a better option than a dedicated macro. It's far more flexible because you can use it on any lens. And the IQ is so similar you won't notice any difference. I use the Raynox when traveling on my Sigma 30mm, Oly 45mm, and my Pentax-m 100mm 2.8.

Buy a good prime and use a raynox for flexibility. Best of both worlds.

• Like Like x 2
  19. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Debatable that you wouldn't notice a difference between the raynox and a dedicated macro like the 60mm. Adding another lens to the front of your current one can only dimmish IQ. Now is the difference always noticable... No, but it will be at times, depending on your subject and/or shooting conditions.

Just as debatable is which is more flexible. Yes you can put the raynox on different lenses, but the focus range is very limited when mounted. A dedicated macro lens always for much greater control over composition and the ability to "quickly" shoot something at a greater distance ie: a bird lands near you while you are shooting macros.

Do to their closeness in focal length the 60mm can also do most of what you would do with the 45mm (1.8 or 2.8) as well as the 75mm. Of course where it won't is when you want the shallower depth of field or need the faster focus speed.

Having said that I have the 60mm and find myself still wanting the 75mm.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    This is pretty much the limit of my macro's and the quality I want out of one :p

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20255854@N00/8440014386/" title="The Big O - Sudden Impact by Puffer Photography, on Flickr"> 8440014386_7f229c5a6b. "500" height="333" alt="The Big O - Sudden Impact"></a>
    Taken with the Panasonic 45mm f/2.8

• Like Like x 1