Olympus 75mm 1.8 manual focus grinding sound on GH3

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by cinevoyeur, Mar 9, 2013.

1. cinevoyeur

cinevoyeur New to Mu-43

Mar 9, 2013
    I just got this lens the other day and noticed that it makes a vey quiet, yet noticeable grinding sound when focusing manually. Is that normal? It also makes a noise when focusing automatically. I have the panasonic shotgun mic attached to the GH3 for audio recording and it definitely picks up the sound. Is my lens defective or is this normal for this lens? I don't notice it on my 17mm or 45mm, but haven't tested.

Would love some direction on this. You can hear it in this video at around the three second mark - small clicking sounds.

https://vimeo.com/61436718

2. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    I have no experience with the 75. Yet. But I have a similar type of situation with my 40-150mm Zuiko. It's not an outright grind but more of a gritty feel during manual focus.

Lets see if anyone else chimes in with a similar situation.

3. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I can't say I've noticed any noise during MF. Mine's smooth and quiet.

4. dino1891

dino1891 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    I have the 75mm and mine makes the same noises. When autofocusing it makes a buzzing sound and when manual focusing it makes that "grinding sound". Its not really a grinding sound, but somewhere between grinding and squeaking. I only hear it when I am somewhere really quiet though.

I too freaked out when I first got the lens but I forgot about it. Then my friend got a copy not too long after I did, and his exhibited the same noise so that put me at ease.

5. dino1891

dino1891 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    When manual focusing it kind of sounds like rubber on asphalt, except that it is almost inaudible unless you really listen for it. When you do, you will always be able to discern it and it becomes "louder" to you (psychological thing).

6. cinevoyeur

cinevoyeur New to Mu-43

Mar 9, 2013
    @Dino, thanks for your response. Definitely helped to reassure me. Do you use your lens for video? Seems totally unusable anytime there's a focus rack; weird for an MSC. Maybe gotta boom with this lens and not use a camera mount mic setup.