1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus 75mm 1.8 for $679 from Olympus (reconditioned)

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Dramaturg, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I was waiting for this announcement for weeks, but since they upped the rebate on new lenses to $100 last week, I bought a black copy a few days ago. It is a great deal, but with sales tax added, it is not quite as good of a deal.

--Ken

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    My first thought was "damn, only silver". My second thought was "whew, only silver".

I think I'm kind of glad that I have to have black...

• Like Like x 1
  4. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
  5. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    Just got an em1 with 12-40. Otherwise would be all over this.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

6. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    I would be all over for this if it were black.

7. modeledo2

modeledo2 New to Mu-43

Dec 1, 2013
    90 days warranty seems to be a little too short, as reconditioned lenses may suffer from unexpected degradations, which may as well appear after 90 days.
    Lens of this quality is very precise device and when once failed there may be still higher failure rates in future.
    May be I'm wrong but I'm not happy with this offer and I keep waiting the real melting or promotions.

From Oly site:
    All reconditioned products undergo a 5-point inspection and include both a 90-day repair warranty and 30-day money back guarantee (excluding shipping).

8. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    What unexpected degraditions were you thinking could happen? Many forum members have purchased factory refurbished lenses and used them without problem. My refurbished lenses are almost two years old and are working fine.

--Ken

9. modeledo2

modeledo2 New to Mu-43

Dec 1, 2013
    Obviously there is bigger chance not to get the best pristine one, as lenses have some allowed deviance in quality.
    I have few times bought lens, checked it and changed it next day in the shop to the better specimen. The first one has been usually sent back to manufacturer "refurbishing" but I'm not so sure that it's any better on the next round. Other not very old sample which comes into my mind, was a lens, which aperture blades were obviously oiled with grease which blades slowed down under zero degrees, while there was no problem indoors or on summer. I'm not sure if manufacturer even understood what the problems was. But sure, all these samples are a few percent and one can get refurbished excellent lens as well.

These were my thoughts, why I decided to continued searching for this lens deal.

10. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I am sorry that you have had bad experiences with buying lenses (which I am assuming were new and not refurbished). It is my understanding that refurbished equipment is inspected and tested before it is sold. If that is the case, then it seems that quality control should be as high, if not higher than new equipment, because new equipment is not tested before it is sold. But, we all have our comfort levels, and should purchase our gear accordingly.

Good luck,

--Ken

11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Thankfully, I just picked up a mint used Sigma 60mm f2.8 for well under $200, so I can cease worrying about the 75mm lens and whether or not it's worth 4 times as much. A couple of nice things that tend to get omitted in the comparison between these two lenses is that the Sigma is about 1/2 the size and weight of the Oly 75mm and the Sigma uses the same 46mm filters as most of the other lenses in the system. Of course the Oly is a bit longer and more than a stop faster - but the Sigma is in the same class optically as the Oly 75mm.