Olympus 75 Lens Cap / Hood

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by djkindred, Aug 9, 2012.

1. djkindred

djkindred New to Mu-43

May 9, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Just received the hood today for my Olympus 75. I was originally annoyed that the supplied Olympus 75 lens cap (outer push style) was impossible to use with the hood on this lens. More so than any of the other Olympus lenses I own.

Long story short make sure you check bottom of box for the hood because Olympus includes a new "pinch style" lens cap in the box. Did not expect that at all from Olympus (have never seen them do it on other lenses I own). Just wanted to give anyone a warning on not overlooking it. :smile: Plus it may allow one to justify the cost of the hood a "little" bit more. :wink:

Coming from Nikon I wish Olympus just did the pinch style cap as the norm anyways!

2. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I'd give them a pat on the back for that if they didn't make you purchase an insanely expensive hood in the first place. The fact that they don't include hoods at all can be somewhat forgiven on the cheaper lenses (though not entirely). However, I find it inexcusable that they don't include it for the 12/2 and 75/1.8, which are arguably pro-grade lenses. Then they charge crazy amounts of money for the hood. Sorry...won't be buying the OEM hood for the 75/1.8. If I want it, I'll buy the JJC version for 1/2 the cost and the same workmanship (probably made in the same factory)...just like I did for the 12mm lens.

3. djkindred

djkindred New to Mu-43

May 9, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Jman- I totally agree that they should be included! For some reason I will only buy OEM ones though.

Have to say this hood being same price as 12mm hood, is a lot nicer. It has a much thicker gauge of metal and the locking mechanism is more secure. The inside has an even greater velvety feel plus it includes a new lens cap. Olympus seems to be giving more for money spent.

Not that any of these reasons justify spending more on just a hood but needless to say I am pretty impressed, at least from the 12/2.0. I would put in league of my hood for my Nikon 200 f2 that is included in 5k lens but does cost over $500 to replace.

4. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Thing is, I'm pretty sure the JJC versions are the same hood. There aren't any design differences at all. My JJC 12mm hood feels great, fits perfectly. Only difference is there were a few small marks in the black finish of the interior. Wouldn't surprise me at all to learn the JJC hoods were the same hood that had minor finish issues. Which I frankly couldn't care less about. The exterior finish looks perfect.