1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 75 - 300mm f/4.8-6.7

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dornblaser, Dec 31, 2012.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
  2. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    I was just going to ask about this lens. I need a good zoom in micro format. Carrying around the old 50-200 with TC is a little big.

3. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I am hoping that there is a new lenses in the making since this one was discontinued. Even more than this lens I am hoping that the rumored, faster 40 - 150 makes its appearance soon. It just struck me as odd that Olympus discontinued this lens without announcing its successor.

4. Rockinggoose

Rockinggoose Mu-43 Regular

Are you sure it is discontinued - still for sale in both colours on official Olympus UK online shop!

David

5. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    No, I am not. It is still available on Amazon, only B&H lists it as discontinued. Not sure if that means Olympus is no longer producing them or B&H stopped carrying that particular lens.

6. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Although some consider it to be a slow lens, the improved sensor performance of the OM-D, PL5/PM2 now arguably offset the speed. :smile:

8. Rockinggoose

Well I think it is a super lens giving excellent IQ with very fast focus. I'd like Olympus to introduce a new m4/3 prime 300mm, but I imagine that won't be done at the expense of the zoom.

David

9. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Chuck from B&H replied in the "Ask B&H" thread:

10. sgoldswo

sgoldswo Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2012
    Hertfordshire, UK
    This doesn't answer the question of why it would be discontinued, but am I missing something or does Chuck think this is a 4/3s lens (from his response)?

11. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Yeah Chuck's response appears to be addressing the full size 4/3 70-300mm lens, not the m4/3 75-300mm. From what I've read BH sometimes marks things as discontinued rather than out of stock (on occasion, and threads such as this pop-up - this isn't the only forum where discussion like this occurs!). IF it is discontinued, my guess would be for cosmetic reasons, likely to replaced with a lens that shares the same optics but with cosmetics matching the current 14-42, 12-50 and 40-150 lenses.

12. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, he might have responded thinking 4/3s. However, the 4/3s 70 - 300 is still listed for sale on the B&H site. I did reply in the "ask B&H" to clarify that we are asking about the m4/3 glass.

13. scandens

scandens New to Mu-43

Jan 5, 2013
    the 75-300mm olympus has indeed disappeared from most of the larger canadian retail outlets, very odd unless there is a revision coming as there are so few options in this range. But if there is an update, why not say so, as stocks must already be low and people who need a longer lens now (like me, for a trip) are just going to get the panasonic 100-300 instead.

14. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Because as soon as you announce that you're replacing a lens with a new, improved version, then your current stock of it immediately stops selling. Especially if rumours are true that it'll be a cheaper alternative. People don't want to buy yesterday's newspaper.

15. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    (FT4) New 75-300mm II coming soon? | 43 Rumors

43rumors says, the new lens eventually has the same spec. as the current one. The question is, will they bring an improved lens or a cheaper (also glass wise) version of it (similar to the original Pana 14-45 which got replaced by an inferior but cheaper version)?

16. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Hmmm, an upgraded version would be nice but I bet it is another "R" variant like with the 40 - 150. Even though the 75 - 300 is not inexpensive I can't see it being a darker lens.

17. Rockinggoose

Well I have the 75-300mm and quite a nice little lens it is, but I and many others would love a prime 300mm. With no prime on the horizon and the 75-300mm being very scarce I wouldn't blame anyone interested in sports or wildlife (Contrast detect AF not ideal for this) from looking elsewhere. I myself now do most of my wildlife photography with Canon - mainly for the AF capability and the huge choice of lenses which is slowly persuading me to get out of 43/m43 - now slowly building a small stock of other EF fit lenses.

David

18. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
  19. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I hope they make it less expensive. Even if it is only a little bit less. The price of the current one is rediculous!