Olympus 75-300ii Review (pic heavy)

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Those are some amazing pictures of a GBH, for sure. But I just cannot resist posting a shot I took last week of another GBH, which I think is pretty remarkable - no, not a great image (not even taken with m43 equipment - sorry!), but it shows a majestic Great Blue that clearly thinks he's a pigeon! (We can be thankful that most don't behave this way!).
IMG_1307_cp2_fx1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It's just so stupid light for the reach. I wish it had a way to attach an optional tripod foot, would be so much easier to use on a tri/monopod
For some of those who don't understand this post.
There is a saying that my old rifle coach told me, with target rifles, "weight is your friend."
The weight dampens your natural body wobble.

Now if you are hauling the gear all day, you may not like to haul the extra weight.
And for that same reason, hunting rifles are much lighter than the heavy target rifles. Cuz they are lugging it around possibly for miles.

I have no trouble hand holding a 70-200/4 lens, because of the extra weight of the camera and lens.
But the EM1 + 75-300 is light enough that I NEED the IBIS to compensate for my wobble.

And it bugs me to no end that a lens with a 12x magnification does not have a tripod foot.
This would be the compensation for the lack of weight.

I like the idea of maybe putting a lead sheet around the zoom ring.
Something for me to think about.

Having said all this, I do appreciate the light weight of the 75-300. As I get older, the old heavy gear is used less and less.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
There is a saying that my old rifle coach told me, with target rifles, "weight is your friend."

Now if you are hauling the gear all day, you may not like to haul the extra weight.
And for that same reason, hunting rifles are much lighter than the heavy target rifles. Cuz they are lugging it around possibly for miles.

I have no trouble hand holding a 70-200/4 lens, because of the extra weight of the camera and lens.
But the EM1 + 75-300 is light enough that I NEED the IBIS to compensate for my wobble.

And it bugs me to no end that a lens with a 12x magnification does not have a tripod foot.

Having said all this, I do appreciate the light weight of the 75-300. As I get older, the old heavy gear is used less and less.
That's the dilemma, isn't it? Light and easy to carry, but so light there's no weight to dampen movements. I saw that a 3rd party vendor made a tripod collar and foot for the Pana 100-300, but there's nothing for the 75-300. Maybe you can use the old string tripod. Screw an eye into the tripod socket and hang a piece of cord (eg., paracord) that you can step on and pull up against for some tension?

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich

I posted this before, but I'll do it again because it seems like it fits. I did a review of the Manfrotto 293 bracket about 10 years ago, which you could read here:
http://www.rahsoft.net/m293_bracket/
It does add a lot of weight to the setup. It is mainly intended for tripod use, but it would also add stability handholding, I should think. You would support the camera, bracket and lens with your left hand, I guess. Just a thought.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Here's another Tom Stirr post to inspire 75-300 II users. I thought he got some remarkably good cropped BIF images from shooting the lens at full zoom wide open. I was impressed. I'd like to know what his processing workflow is, because he produces some great results from the RAW images. He notes that SOOC JPGs at full zoom wide open are a bit soft, but obviously, the RAWs are not. Interesting.
https://smallsensorphotography.com/severe-crop-images

WT21

Super Moderator
Those are some amazing pictures of a GBH, for sure. But I just cannot resist posting a shot I took last week of another GBH, which I think is pretty remarkable - no, not a great image (not even taken with m43 equipment - sorry!), but it shows a majestic Great Blue that clearly thinks he's a pigeon! (We can be thankful that most don't behave this way!).
View attachment 848341
I guess we should be very happy they don't sit overhead our cars and poop on them. That would require some cleaning.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Yup, that's what I subtly meant when I said he thinks he's pigeon. But actually, a picture I took seconds later shows him looking directly down into the car's windshield at the front passenger seat. I think he's a thief! Either that, or they left a fish on the front seat (that could happen in the New Hampshire seacoast area - the whole enormous 20 miles ;) ).

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Tom Stirr wraps up his assessment of the 75-300 II with some pros and cons as well as good tips for using any long telephoto lens. I must say that after all that, I'm pretty impressed with this lens. Better than I expected and had read elsewhere. When you need something compact and light, it's pretty hard to beat.
https://smallsensorphotography.com/m-zuiko-75-300-assessment#more-26267

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom