Olympus 75-300 or Panasonic 100-300 on E-M10, 3 axis IBIS vs Mega OIS

tomO2013

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've shot used and owned both.

Both lenses suffer badly with sample variance - production quality for both IMHO is not up to par with the quality of the more expensive Oly and Pan glass, but it's obviously sold at a far reduced price.

I actually bought 3 copies of the Pan100-300 before I settled on one that I was ultimately happy keeping. I wouldn't pretend to be pixel peepery and nit picking - the differences between the first two samples were fairly extreme.
On the Oly 75-300mkii I was quite disappointed at the very long end - possibly it was sharper slightly, but at the time I thought I was going to be picking up a Panasonic body so the Pan100-300 made more sense from a long term ownership perspective.
Owning an EM1 and having the choice between both - I'd recommend you to pick up from a dealer who will let you try different lenses.

Pan100-300
Pros:
------
-600mm effective reach (in 35mm terms) in a relatively small lens.
-Image stabilisation is pretty good - I've actually found this lens on the EM1 to be more effective with OIS than IBIS.
-Sharp in the center of the frame.
-Not as sharp around the corners.
-Sharpens up a little at 285-300mm if you stop down to 7.1 or F8.
-Super reach for the buck

Cons:
--------
- Slower focus motor
- Not sure that the glass is able to resolve modern 16mp sensor cameras from Oly and Panasonic.
- Soft at 250mm upwards to very soft at 300mm.
- Colours (subjective thing) are not as good as the Olympus out of camera - not a lot of microcontrast at the longer ends although some present at wider end.
- Found the lens to produce images that are less forgiving of higher iso's than other glass (this doesn't even make much sense to me but it is somethign that I've found)
- Sample variance - took me 3 copies to find one that I was happy with, and I still don't believe that it was the best sample you could get. I've seen better.
- No focus limiter
- No tripod collar.

Oly 75-300
----------------
Pros:
- smaller package
- super reach for the buck
- price - where I am from it's a cheaper lens
- focus is slightly faster
- slightly sharper than Pan at longer end but still quite soft.
- works really well with IBIS.
- Subjectively I prefer the colour rendering from the Oly 75-300

Cons:
------
- suffers with sample variance again. try before you buy.
- lacks OIS for Panasonic bodies.
- No focus limiter
- No tripod collar.
- Focus is slow
- Not sure it can properly resolve 16mp sensor in m43.
- Sample I tried was slightly software in center at wider to mid zoom openings.

Reading that back it sounds like I hated my Pan100-300. I can assure you that I didn't. It's great fun to use and fantastic for the money - I got some images that I am quite proud of with it. The takeaway from me (that I cannot emphasize enough) is try before you buy! Both are good. If you are shooting the EM10, I wouldn't be swayed too much by the faster Pan 100-300, I'd probably just get the Oly 75-300. If you shoot Pan body or if you want the option of shooting one down the line, then I would consider the Pan 100-300.

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
I don't think I like either lens. I hate the fact that the 300mm is a bit soft'ish. The Panasonic 45-175 X is sharp end-to-end, nano coated for better contrast, compact and has internal focus. I'd wait for Panasonic to redesign the 100-300. Hopefully it will come soon. Saying that I'm using the Panasonic 45-150, which I also find plenty sharp for the price point and i'm fairly picky when it comes to glass.

If you really need 300mm though, I'd wait for Olympus to stock the 75-300 R on their outlet site plus whatever 20% holiday discount they'll muster up. I think the 75-300 R should come out to around $350. On pure price (and if you have no intention to own any Panasonic bodies), I think the 75-300 would be the better deal.

zensu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bobby
The E-M10 does as well.

Thanks for all the comments so far. Both lenses seem to be in the 300-400 range with the Pan being a little less. So if I base it mainly on that then the Panasonic wins I guess. I also expect it would be used more in the 200-300 end then in the 100-200 range.

I had the 45-200, it was OK. I had the Oly 40-150 R. Again OK but a little short so I would hit the converter more often. The Digital Tele Converter on the Olympus bodies isn't too bad, certainly a world of difference from the old digital zoom on P&S cameras of years past. I considered getting the 45-175 and continuing to to do that. It would be cheaper, much smaller, and it has the Power OIS which is suppose to be better than the Mega OIS. The 45-175 would have the advantage of being able to be used on my table top tripod. I could sit it on my desk aimed at the feeders out side and just touch the screen to fire (darn Cardenal moves every time I pick up my camera).

Please if anyone could tell me the difference between 'Power OIS' and 'Mega OIS'?

davidzvi

Real Name
David
I think it started as just on the "X" lenses. But the newer 14-140 has it as well. Technically I'm not sure what the difference it but I seem to recall reading 1/2 to 1 stop better I.S.

davidedric

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
Question on sample variation..

I have recently bought the Pany 100-300, and I'm in the middle of giving it its first serious work out.

Thing is, how do I know what to expect? I've been shooting at at f7.1, ss greater than 1/1000, which seems to be the suggested ball park. But how do I know whether my images are as good as I can expect, or whether I have a good/ok/bad sample?

Dave

b_rubenstein

Mu-43 All-Pro
To check a lens, particularly long focal lengths, the camera has to be mounted on a tripod. Camera shake and misfocus are primary cause for unsharp pictures, not optics.

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
:bump:

I am considering getting a tripod collar for the Panasonic 100-300 as I assume this is a better option than mounting at the camera body end. Assuming yes, does anyone have any recommendations or sources by any chance? My eBay Australia search was not very helpful and Google Shopping tends to be US focused which again is not that helpful.

Thanks
Andrew

Last edited:

excman

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jorgen
My choice was Pana 100-300 after studied many reviews.
I own OM-D M5 and GX7, so both O and P were opportunities.
I have not regretted P 100-300, but must admit that after the first shot I was very disappointed.
But I learned gradually to handle the lens.
My point is that you must learn to deal with this long focal length.
I usually do not use tripod and now I can with handheld get very sharp images.
The lens is of high standard and provides superb results, in my view, depending 95% of a steady hand.
My best results I get with GX7, OIS and electronic shutter. Often with support on a stable surface.

Latest threads

Top Bottom