Showcase Olympus 75-300 f/4.8-6.7

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by ssgreenley, Aug 28, 2011.

1. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I thought it was strange that this thread didn't exist, so here are a few samples from this lens. The first was shot with a monopod, the next two with makeshift support, and the last two handheld (the last a warning of what happens at this focal length when you're in a hurry to catch a shot and forget good technique!). All are [resized] OOC JPEG (ostensibly so they're more accurate samples, really because my computer is broken and I keep buying new lenses instead of new computers).

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 11
  2. Allan Ostling

Allan Ostling Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2010
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Here are two photos taken with the lens, one on the Hopi Reservation, the other heading south approaching Monument Valley.

north_of_Leupp1.

road_to_Monument_Valley.

• Like Like x 6
  3. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    I love this happy hippo! Maybe he's laughing at your hand-held technique, but it's a great capture!

• Like Like x 1
  4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

This is Handheld With The 75/300

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  5. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    What is the name of that first bird?

6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I believe it is an African Crown Bird...

• Like Like x 1
  7. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    Can anyone who owns this lens, justify the added cost versus the Panasonic 100-300mm? I don't understand why the Olympus one is more expensive when it appears they fair the same optically.

8. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Don't own either but it seems to me that a 4 times zoom ratio vs a 3 times ratio, 18 lens elements in 13 groups vs 17 elements in 12 groups, smaller (97mm long vs 126 mm, almost a third shorter than the Panasonic, and a fraction of a mm smaller in diameter), and lighter (430 grams vs 520) would all point to a more expensive lens. Against that the Panasonic has in lens image stabilisation while the Olympus doesn't, and that would add to the cost of the Panasonic. How those differences balance out overall, I don't know.

What I do know is that there are enough differences there for there to be a difference in price for 2 lenses of identical quality. What you would need to justify an absence of difference in price for 2 lenses of identical image quality would be identical specifications and construction. Any time there's a difference in specifications and/or construction, one would expect a difference in price.

None of the above indicates that the Olympus should necessarily end up more expensive than the Panasonic—perhaps putting IS in the lens is more expensive than the longer zoom range, extra lens element, and savings in size and weight—but there's certainly justification for there being a difference in price. The issue for you is whether either the slightly longer zoom range and/or the savings in size and weight of the Olympus in terms of your needs justify paying the extra for the Olympus rather than going with the Panasonic.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I'll tell you why I bought the lens. The 75-300 is small & light enough that I carry it with me in my normal kit; I think the 100-300 is just on the other side of that line, and I don't know that I would use it as much. Also, the 4x zoom was a plus, and 75mm is close enough to 42/45 that I've never even considered the longer versions of kit lenses. The gap to 100mm is considerably longer (considerable in the sense that, you know, it's worthy of consideration).

I've never wished I had the 100-300 and a couple of hundred bucks in my pocket, if that means anything. I am, however, considering the rumored Panasonic 35-100, because as much as I love the 600 equivalent, its aperture ain't great.

• Like Like x 2
  10. nueces snapper

Its OK

If I hold my camera with the lens pointing down .... the lens fully telescopes out on its own. This for $900. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  11. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    Thanks for the responses. I agree that the smaller size should be a bigger consideration, considering that's why most of us got into using m43. I think I may hold off for now, on purchasing a telephoto lens, or just pickup the 45-100mm and see what focal lengths I really use.

I do agree, though, that when the 35-100mm comes out, I will likely end up with that one, and that'll probably be enough for my needs. I'm not a birder, so being able to reach out to 300mm isn't entirely necessary for me, and a faster lens would benefit me better.

nueces snapper, maybe it's just me, but I would think that the lens creep you describe is a bad thing. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    Has anyone ever heard of used m.ZD 75-300mm? Is there hope for such a beast?

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Really glad to see this lens being used. IMHO due to it's size, it's the choice lens over the Panasonic 100-300 :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  14. nueces snapper

very bad :mad:

15. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    So.. I am kinda confused.. which lens is the best.. ? the Oly or Panny. I have the 100-300.. however, is the 75-300 sharper.. I know it's slower.. which is the SHARPEST.. forget price.. :smile:
    Thanks.
    Doug

16. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Anyone using the 70-300mm Four Thirds Version with an adapter successfully? How does it compare optically to the micro four thirds versions?

17. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    Bird (Almost) in Flight

This was from my first attempt to capture birds in flight handheld. My major focusing problem was being able to track the birds accurately enough to get a focus box on them at all. More practise needed. Lots of missed shots attributable to user error.

The 75-300 seems to focus reasonably well. I went for S-AF rather than continuos and 'just go for it' method of releasing the shot. Having a grid display up on the EVF helps in tracking.

Any other tips to help with what I've got (E-P3 and 75-300)?

Crash_Landing_1.

Andrew

• Like Like x 6
  18. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    Crowded Airspace

Congestion in London skies ... over the Serpentine in Hyde Park:

Crowded_Airspace.

With E-P3, handheld, cropped slightly for composition.

Andrew

• Like Like x 4
  19. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Used it on the GH2 in the past. Even though the 70-300 was updated to work better with contrast detect on the Oly DSLR bodies, it was very slow to AF on the GH2. Optically, I've never used the 75-300 or the 100-300. So I can't compare. But I didn't have complaints about the 70-300.

20. nueces snapper

Titmouse

I guess I was close to his nest and he was unhappy with me because he came very close and hopped around from branch to branch only about 15 ft away. He was strongly backlit and I had to open the jpeg in ACR to add fill light. I don't have a raw converter for the EM5 yet but am eager to see what I can do with this image when I get PS6 and upgrade to the latest release candidate.

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

Sure seems to me the IBIS in this camera is doing a much better job than in the EP3.

• Like Like x 5