Showcase Olympus 75-300 f/4.8-6.7 II

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I'm finding some new appreciation for this lens. With the right focus technique on the EM5.3, I think I'm getting some pretty decent results.
1604803963755.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I can't tell which to credit, the lens or the EM5iii, for keeping track of this raptor (eagle?) as it flew behind a tree.
1604803308486.jpeg

coffeecat

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rob
I am loving this new (to me) lens so far. Lots to learn in terms of technique.
Also, first go with DXO PL4 Deep PRIME NR.
Approx 66% crop:
OM263138_DxO2c.jpg

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A little NZ owl pic...
6747A3D8-F86B-403C-844C-A9049F781594.jpeg

This is at full extension and the in camera 2X conversion thing...ie 1200mm equivalent!
3A561146-F45B-4862-BF86-AEC611796059.jpeg

And this is the owls roost.
5FA0D755-F14C-4636-BA04-8783DCBF0AB1.jpeg

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Although I posted these a while ago in landscape and show birds, thought I'd re-post them here as an example of the 75-300 II doing landscape and wildlife work - IBIS, fast shutter speed, and good technique are your friends with this lens. I kept it when I got the 100-400 because mine is a keeper
BocaC.jpg
Pelican.jpg
IAmRock.jpg
SW1.jpg
Hill.jpg
:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Not as exciting as the post above!
1606668431955.png

1606668471965.jpeg

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Thanks. They are pretty common critters in my backyard. It's fun to throw out random food scraps, like old bread, tomatoes, etc. Sometimes they are literally afraid of the stuff. Other times they fight over it. :)

I did like the sharpness on that shot--I did crop, but that was more to show the detail the lens picked up for the benefit of the showcase forum.

exakta

Mu-43 All-Pro
Shot on a grey day in August. Uncropped, adjusted WB and saturation in Workspace.

_8160260.jpg

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Well, not taken from miles away, but it is another squirrel crop:
1607032889111.jpeg

This one is uncropped, but the third shot is a crop of the eye to see some reflection detail:
1607033127167.jpeg

1607033226383.png

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Beautiful!
I have only just got this lens, it’s decent build quality, good performance, and what really stunned me was, the size of the thing! It’s choice . Waaaaay better build than the Panasonic 100-300 I had. Way better... that thing was complete crap.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I've owned both. The 100-300 is bigger but does allow you to use lower ISO throughout the range. Not so much a problem when light is readily available, but handy on the gloomier days. But yeah, this thing is tiny for the range it provides, and it performs pretty well. I use the zoom-to-focus feature to help get the right part of the subject in focus--it definitely helps on getting the eye sharp on wildlife.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
What is this zoom-to-focus feature - tell me more!
On Olympus cameras, there is a “Magnify” option you can set to the custom buttons. I use the front button on my E-M5iii, and when I tap it, it zooms to the focus square, and the front dial allows you to increase the magnification up to 14x. Whatever is in this Magnify area is what the camera will focus on, so you can use it to find your focus spot. It requires a very steady hand at 300mm, but if you can manage, it can really help you nail the focus on the right spot. In this case, the eye of the animal is what I zoom to, and when it looks sharp, I hit the shutter. I use silent shutter with the 75-300 to reduce the potential for shutter shock.

Quadna71

Mu-43 Top Veteran
On Olympus cameras, there is a “Magnify” option you can set to the custom buttons. I use the front button on my E-M5iii, and when I tap it, it zooms to the focus square, and the front dial allows you to increase the magnification up to 14x. Whatever is in this Magnify area is what the camera will focus on, so you can use it to find your focus spot. It requires a very steady hand at 300mm, but if you can manage, it can really help you nail the focus on the right spot. In this case, the eye of the animal is what I zoom to, and when it looks sharp, I hit the shutter. I use silent shutter with the 75-300 to reduce the potential for shutter shock.
Ah, okay. Yes, I have a button programmed on my em1iii for just that reason. I used it for all the pictures I took yesterday morning from work while using a tripod. When you first mentioned it for some reason I thought it was a technique or trick that involve a feature of the lens.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
More squirrels. Well, this is just one squirrel.

1607204312741.jpeg

1607204324170.jpeg

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
While this is not a squirrel, this raptor was on the hunt in my backyard and landed in the bushes. Not kidding, one of the resident squirrels had nothing of it, and actually attacked this hawk twice until it flew off. I've never seen anything like it before. I guess maybe the squirrel had a nest nearby?
1607213274860.jpeg

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
It does seem to get the job done. I think I've figured out how to shoot with it better too. :D
I think that latter comment is extremely pertinent, mate.

There are good reasons why 'standard' FLs are 12 to 150 mm. These FLs don't really require special techniques to get acceptable results from them, although some of us need to concentrate more than others do to get acceptable results as we approach those end limits.

The UWAs and long telephotos definitely require careful attention to technique, and some level of ability.

My own ability to handhold at over 200mm has deteriorated noticeably over the last ten years, so I have to pay particular attention to my technique nowadays. Routinely chimping at 7x (E-M1 MkI) and 5x (E-M1 MkII) helps a lot too ... ;) :rofl: .

These magnifications are roughly equivalent to an A2 print.

Latest threads

Top Bottom