Showcase Olympus 75-300 f/4.8-6.7 II

TwoShoes

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Chris
I took some photos of the sunrise this morning with my 75-300mm and I'm impressed with how a small amount of editing and they just look really good. I'm more and more impressed with this Olympus camera every day.

Sunrise over the Mountain.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sunrise up close.jpg

Sunrise over the Cascades.jpg

Last edited:

millmeister

Mu-43 Regular
Cricket match: Kent, UK
First outing with this lens. It's a slow old lens so I ran a few of the high ISO shots through DxO PureRaw.

20210515_SM_1180338_1.jpg

20210515_SM_-10.jpg

20210515_SM_-2.jpg

20210515_SM_-7.jpg

20210515_SM_-5.jpg

20210515_SM_-9.jpg

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Recent tip to a private garden for some pics of spring flowers, bees and dragonflies. It was a breezy day so C-AF on the E-M5 III was the order of the day, and shooting high silent bursts at 30 fps got the best results. The 75-300 with a 16mm extension tube gave a nice balance of distance and filling the frame., but still crops on all pics.

Final image (1 of 1)-120.jpg

Final image (1 of 1)-119.jpg

Final image (1 of 1)-116.jpg

Final image (1 of 1)-117.jpg

Last edited:

Quadna71

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Tried to follow a plane for the first time today. I honestly had no idea what I was doing. I heard him bombing the field behind my development so I grabbed the camera and jogged down the street until I could get a view then experimented with settings a little. Tried C-AF but seemed to get better results when set to Tracking. I wish I had thought to remove the CPL that was still on the end from lunar shooting last weekend! Didn’t have long to practice before he was gone over the tree line and on to the next farm.

4D7C644F-22D8-4EEF-A9DF-8F938458C0FE.jpeg

E394A90C-A2F8-488A-AAAF-63AF6631D5D0.jpeg

Real Name
Rob
Recent tip to a private garden for some pics of spring flowers, bees and dragonflies. It was a breezy day so C-AF on the E-M5 III was the order of the day, and shooting high silent bursts at 30 fps got the best results. The 75-300 with a 16mm extension tube gave a nice balance of distance and filling the frame., but still crops on all pics.
These are fantastic! Do you have to turn off the IBIS when using extension tubes on a long lens like this (presumably hand held)?

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
These are fantastic! Do you have to turn off the IBIS when using extension tubes on a long lens like this (presumably hand held)?
No, in fact the IBIS helps considerably when hand holding. The 16mm extension tube gives an autofocusing range of about 3 feet to 15 feet from the front of the lens at 270mm, give or take, which is about perfect for when I shoot bugs, butterflies, and dragonflies.

Last edited:

TwoShoes

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Chris
I went out in an attempt at some sunset shots of the Olympic Mountains. I feel alright about these, please advise if you know how I can improve.

P5220028.jpg

P5220035.jpg

P5220030.jpg

View attachment 889493

Last edited:
Real Name
Rob
So, inspired by this thread I went out in my garden briefly at lunchtime and shot some bees (Tree Bumblebees, I think - they are nesting in the loft of my house...) on a Cotoneaster. The bees are about 10mm long roughly.
16+10mm el-cheapo electric extension tubes.
Quick and dirty attempt, very pleased really. Mild crop on this one, de-noised etc in DXO 4
tree_bee_web.jpg

grcolts

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Osprey with its catch...Panasonic G9 with Olympus 75-300ii
GQR
P1022745.jpg

Real Name
Mike
Handheld moon shot on a cloudy night, all the way at 300mm.

P5240851_DP+LC.jpg

Same image, cropped to show 100% zoom.
P5240851_DP+LC_crop.jpg

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
Olympus 75-300m @ 300mm

2021-04-26 19-18-01 - 0004_DxO-PL4-AFP.jpg

Last edited:

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Tried to follow a plane for the first time today. I honestly had no idea what I was doing. I heard him bombing the field behind my development so I grabbed the camera and jogged down the street until I could get a view then experimented with settings a little. Tried C-AF but seemed to get better results when set to Tracking. I wish I had thought to remove the CPL that was still on the end from lunar shooting last weekend! Didn’t have long to practice before he was gone over the tree line and on to the next farm.

View attachment 889246

View attachment 889247

This chap had a busy day on Friday :)

https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/N4223X/history/20210521/1049Z/0N4/0N4

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Here's two I shot handheld the other day, both heavily cropped. I'm only just starting to understand how to shoot the backyard birds with my E-M10. Manual exposure with auto ISO seems to work best. Getting proper focus is still difficult.

_5220386.jpg

_5220350.jpg

LeroyP

Mu-43 Rookie
Yellow Headed Blackbird at Oak Hammock Marsh in Manitoba, Canada

2FC51D71-EB86-48DB-8D59-AF8BEB8E6595_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

skamaraju

Mu-43 Regular
51204396894_d90e628eb5_h.jpg

Last edited:

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Posted over in the E-M5III image thread, as well.

Yesterday I went to a local botanical garden to shoot some flowers and bugs. To my delight there were quite a number of Zebra Longwing butterflies working over the plants. However, they were not about to land, and continued to flit about erratically........maddening. Finally in desperation, I decided that I would set the camera up like I set my E-M1 III for shooting birds in flight and see what would happen. I was using my now standard bug setup, the 75-300 with a 16mm extension tube which gives me far focus limit at about 15-18 feet. But this time I altered the settings to shoot C-AF, all focus points, ISO 2500 to keep the shutter speed up, and low sequential silent burst.

It actually did pretty well on these flitty critters.......maybe even better than pretty well. In two series of bursts of 18 images, only two images in each burst were OOF and those were near the edge of the frame. I was pleased to see that the C-AF in the E-M5 III was able to keep hold of the erratic movement of these insects..... kind of fun.

Here's an image from one of these sequences, shot from a distance of about 15 feet. First image is the original OOC jpeg without any changes, other than resizing for the web. The second image is the crop from the Workspace converted raw file and run through Topaz Denoise AI and than adjusted to taste in Light room. I'll need to polish up my technique a bit more and adjust my settings, but I'm happy with this first result.

Final image (1 of 2)-4.jpg

Longwing2.jpg

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom