Showcase Olympus 75-300 f/4.8-6.7 II

Walter

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Still love this lightweight ... even if it's not a prime
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Walter

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That's what it can do at the long end (x-post from Share Birds)
P8214206.1p.jpg

Darmok N Jalad

Mu-43 Veteran
I just picked up this lens from B&H for a good price. Can’t wait to see how it goes. I shoot wildlife and my current range is 150mm. Time to double my fun!

I just picked up this lens from B&H for a good price. Can’t wait to see how it goes. I shoot wildlife and my current range is 150mm. Time to double my fun!
keep the aperture closed down a stop for best sharpness and take some time to get in the mood of its focusing habits - it may take a bit more time to get best sharpness out of this nice lens vs its double price++ competition

it is a good lens but if you miss focus by a tiny bit things look disappointingly soft as it seems to me the focusing group has small travel and its driving mechanism has a bit coarser steps than what would be optimal

Darmok N Jalad

Mu-43 Veteran
First real lash at it since it arrived. Seems like sharpness is pretty good, as these are shot through a double pane window.

First real lash at it since it arrived. Seems like sharpness is pretty good, as these are shot through a double pane window.
this is the quirky point of this lens - you must nail focus to have proper results - the slightest deviation is just too much off given its focus mechanism coarseness and you wonder why results came out so soft - I guess many used copies were sold by the original owners because they expected sharp results on the long end right out of the box

it also seems newer & better bodies focus this lens much more effectively than older ones

get a cheap hood on it for improved contrast

Tilman Paulin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
it also seems newer & better bodies focus this lens much more effectively than older ones
That's true - my E-M1 mk2 does a noticeably better job at autofocussing the 75-300mm than the E-M1 mk1 did.
That said, I still manually focus the 75-300mm whenever I can (with viewfinder magnification).

49276429226_512be0919a_b.jpg
Christmas day walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

Last edited:

Walter

Mu-43 Top Veteran
x-post from random picture thread
P1314647.jpg

@Darmok N Jalad: If you know what the lens can do you can get acceptable results even at the long end (as the letters at the bottom show). The pixel counters will disagree, but I can live with that. ;)
I don't know if I'd have a bulky prime with me as often as this lightweight.

Last edited:
far from technically perfect, little cropped and then auto touched by the ipad photos app, then added some luminesce, calls for proper editing maybe one day...

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
far from technically perfect, little cropped and then auto touched by the ipad photos app, then added some luminesce, calls for proper editing maybe one day...
I would try cropping it so that the bird lies at intersection of thirds.

Bette Davis Eyes by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

Walter

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Walter

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom