Olympus 75 1.8 black or silver?

ihateggb

Mu-43 Rookie
Can owners of black or silver versions please comment on the current cosmetic condition and their period of use?

I am looking to buy this lens but can't decide which colour. No price difference. To be paired with black EM-5 and maybe EM-1 down the line. I've seen black EM-5 paired with either colour and they look great.

Thanks!

barry

Super Moderator
The Silver lenses have some sort of paint over black plastic, and reportedly show wear more.
Barry

Sent from my Note3

Richella

The Wandering Scotsman
I have the silver which I bought before my E-M1 and now I wish I had the black so it matched the E-M1. I think Black is more discrete for street shooting.

ihateggb

Mu-43 Rookie
I have the silver which I bought before my E-M1 and now I wish I had the black so it matched the E-M1. I think Black is more discrete for street shooting.

How long have you had your silver 75mm and any marks especially if used with hood?

Richella

The Wandering Scotsman
I've had the silver lens about 6 months but hadn't used it much until my trip to Cambodia last month. I don't have the lens hood. So far no marks at all but I am careful with my gear. Having said that, the lens feels like solid metal to me.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
If you have a black body, go with the black lens. In any case, I've always preferred black bodies and lenses as they stand out less and are more discreet, especially if you do any kind of street photography.

The 75/1.8, and most likely the P/L 42.5/1.2, will be my next lens purchases for sure, in black of course. Both of them are just beautiful lenses.

evilmeta

Mu-43 Veteran
Used to have the black one on my black em-5. Looked epic. Felt solid to hold. Only changed it for sale of ease zooms rather than changing lenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

rogergu

Mu-43 Regular
I saw both and went with the black one. The silver has sort of golden glare, which looks a little "used". I also had the 12mm at that time, which was pure silver, cold silver. The black 75mm looks pure so I picked it.

tjdean01

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have about 20 black lenses. I have ONE silver. Whenever there's an option to buy one in silver I'm going to take the silver. The 12-32 looks badass on the black/silver PM2. The 20 I would want black, however, for some reason. Probably because it will be on the camera so often. About the 45 and 75...those are the lenses I see in my dreams. And they're all silver and glittery. Black would not satisfy as silver is going to mean that I'm getting something new and different!

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
Black...all the way. I've had mine for a while and have travelled with it quite a bit, but I baby it. It's still in 100% pristine condition. :D

fadingphoenix

Mu-43 Regular
Personally I like the silver, and I'm using it on an E-M1. I think the silver looks classy and it sets it apart from the rest of my lenses somewhat. Embarrassingly I have to admit I pined aesthetically for both the silver and the black. I haven't regretted my choice. I've only had it a short time, but it was bought used and I don't see any signs of the silver being paint over a black body. I've actually heard one other person on another forum say the same thing about the black version being paint over the silver body...no idea. On a separate note, I'm still completely baffled by the notion black is stealthier. If someone is carrying a camera I see someone carrying a camera, just because it's black doesn't make it invisible or any harder to see...especially when they're holding the camera to their eye.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I've had my silver for about a year and I bought it used. It's had a decent amount of use from me and the finish is still superb. Looks great on a black E-M5.

RJNear

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Robert Near
I would like to have black 75mm on my EM-1 but when I looked to pick up a used one earlier this year could only find silver. Now that I have it when I look at the pictures it takes I would be happy with any color it is an amazing lens.

Latest threads

Top Bottom