1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 75 1.8 black or silver?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ihateggb, May 25, 2014.

1. ihateggb

ihateggb Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    New Zealand
    Can owners of black or silver versions please comment on the current cosmetic condition and their period of use?

I am looking to buy this lens but can't decide which colour. No price difference. To be paired with black EM-5 and maybe EM-1 down the line. I've seen black EM-5 paired with either colour and they look great.

Thanks!

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The Silver lenses have some sort of paint over black plastic, and reportedly show wear more.
    Barry

Sent from my Note3

3. ihateggb

ihateggb Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    New Zealand
    I thought the 75mm was all metal and glass?

4. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    I'd natch lens to body. Much stealthier look

5. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Really??!!!
    Well have a silver on black EM1 works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

6. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I have the silver which I bought before my E-M1 and now I wish I had the black so it matched the E-M1. I think Black is more discrete for street shooting.

7. ihateggb

ihateggb Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    New Zealand
    How long have you had your silver 75mm and any marks especially if used with hood?

8. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I've had the silver lens about 6 months but hadn't used it much until my trip to Cambodia last month. I don't have the lens hood. So far no marks at all but I am careful with my gear. Having said that, the lens feels like solid metal to me.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

9. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    The black one is faster :biggrin:

10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The better one is which ever is cheaper.

11. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Sorry, I was thinking of the plastic lenses.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

12. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    If you have a black body, go with the black lens. In any case, I've always preferred black bodies and lenses as they stand out less and are more discreet, especially if you do any kind of street photography.

The 75/1.8, and most likely the P/L 42.5/1.2, will be my next lens purchases for sure, in black of course. Both of them are just beautiful lenses.

13. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Get the black one. A true work of art. I smile just holding it in my hand.

14. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Used to have the black one on my black em-5. Looked epic. Felt solid to hold. Only changed it for sale of ease zooms rather than changing lenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

15. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    I saw both and went with the black one. The silver has sort of golden glare, which looks a little "used". I also had the 12mm at that time, which was pure silver, cold silver. The black 75mm looks pure so I picked it.

16. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I have about 20 black lenses. I have ONE silver. Whenever there's an option to buy one in silver I'm going to take the silver. The 12-32 looks badass on the black/silver PM2. The 20 I would want black, however, for some reason. Probably because it will be on the camera so often. About the 45 and 75...those are the lenses I see in my dreams. And they're all silver and glittery. Black would not satisfy as silver is going to mean that I'm getting something new and different!

17. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Black...all the way. I've had mine for a while and have travelled with it quite a bit, but I baby it. It's still in 100% pristine condition. :D

18. fadingphoenix

fadingphoenix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2013
    Personally I like the silver, and I'm using it on an E-M1. I think the silver looks classy and it sets it apart from the rest of my lenses somewhat. Embarrassingly I have to admit I pined aesthetically for both the silver and the black. I haven't regretted my choice. I've only had it a short time, but it was bought used and I don't see any signs of the silver being paint over a black body. I've actually heard one other person on another forum say the same thing about the black version being paint over the silver body...no idea. On a separate note, I'm still completely baffled by the notion black is stealthier. If someone is carrying a camera I see someone carrying a camera, just because it's black doesn't make it invisible or any harder to see...especially when they're holding the camera to their eye.

19. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've had my silver for about a year and I bought it used. It's had a decent amount of use from me and the finish is still superb. Looks great on a black E-M5.

20. RJNear

RJNear Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2011
    Upstate NY
    R.J. Near
    I would like to have black 75mm on my EM-1 but when I looked to pick up a used one earlier this year could only find silver. Now that I have it when I look at the pictures it takes I would be happy with any color it is an amazing lens.