Olympus 75/1.8 and 60/2.8 Macro Under Development

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    In a somewhat anticlimactic revelation, we today learned that the two leaked new Olympus lenses are being displayed as concept models only at CP+ and in fact are "under development" with expected launch "by the end of 2012".

Here are the two lenses:

From the Olympus Australia website (pdf):

You can get a sense of the size of these lenses compared to other Olympus lenses in this image:

• Like Like x 1
  2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    That's a bummer...

On the other hand, it gives me more time to save $$$... :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
  4. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011

Yes, I agree! Gives me time to save up :smile:
  5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I hope the Macro comes in cheaper than the PL45 !
  6. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    A bit disappointed that the macro only does 1:1. I guess that's better than the old 50mm though.
  7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    It will be interesting to see how the 60mm macro compares in sharpness to the legendary 50mm Zuiko.

I can't part with the 50mm, even though it focuses annoyingly slow (especially with no limiter). The image quality from the 50 is fantastic and it's great at product photography :biggrin:

I'm hoping the E-M5, with its new 3D C-AF, will improve pdaf focusing. Slim chance, I know. :tongue:
  8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Chunky looking.
  9. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    The delay is a major disappointment for me. I am looking to replace my G1 with either the G3 or OM-D and the lens delay will keep me on the fence for a while longer while I see what Panny comes up with this year.
  10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I really wish that 75 was out already!
  11. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    The 75 is intriguing. I've been planning on buying the Samyang/Rokinon 85mm/f:1.4 in a Canon mount, so I could use it on both systems. It sure would be nice to have AF on the lens though, so if the price is reasonable I'll be veeerrry tempted. :smile:
  12. Z-man

Z-man Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    That 75 sounds nice. I got a 45 PL macro, so the 60 doesn't do much for me, but the 75 might go to the top of list.
  13. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    That 75 would do it for me...
  14. Rawfa

Rawfa Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2009
    Were their prices announced yet? The 75mm sounds very very nice.
  15. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    No, but given the 75 is confirmed to basically be built like the 12, it's not going to be cheap.
  16. Sugarman

Sugarman Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    Hi. Just this afternoon I have been reading an article in the French magazine R├ęsponses Photo about the Olympus OM-D and they make brief mention on these lenses. I have the Oly 45 1.8. I was certainly enthusiastic about it at first as my main interest is in portrait work but my passion has wained a little. I have a Panasonic G3 and I find that the 45 is a little light in skin textures unless you get the light exactly right. Even stopping down to f4 I find that my older Pana 14 - 42 is a little more consistent in textures.

Obviously, a 45mm 1.8 at the Oly price is a great buy, so I can't complain too much. I still would be very interested in the 75mm... but the price.... I have a bad feeling about that... Oly needs to make a lot of money very quickly.

I am not holding my breath for Panasonic to come up with anything world-stopping this year. I was very dissapointed that so far all they have come up with are extensions

we'll see... perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised

Cheers all

17. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I don't think the issue is the build quality, more the market placement. The old Olympus 50/2 macro is better built than the 12/2, and it's a $400 lens.

A medium tele like the 75/1.8 is a fairly standard design, but it's the first of its kind for m4/3, and I expect they'll charge accordingly.

18. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    True, I was thinking along the lines of it being 135L like I guess (my one lens I really miss from my 5D). If it can render like that on top of the high build, oly will milk us for it, heh.
  19. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Just saw this at the Facebook page of omuser.com

Photos of
    • Like Like x 2
  20. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I want everything in that picture all at once.