Olympus 70-300 on G3 first impressions.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by f8andbethere, Oct 3, 2012.

1. f8andbethere

f8andbethere Mu-43 Regular

This is not a real review from a technical point of view, but I thought I would post my initial impression. I purchased a used adapter from B&H.

1. Sharp images
    2. Good color rendition
    3. Nice bokeh

1. Slow auto-focus
    2. Lens hunts unless subject and background have strong contrast
    3. Tends to focus on closest object as opposed to subject (could be a camera focus issue)
    4. Slow AF makes shooting moving objects a challenge

I was pleased that I could get acceptable hand held shots with a fast shutter speed despite the fact that this is a 140-600mm 35mm equivalent. The slow AF is frustrating but, once locked in, the results are quite good. This lens is better suited to static objects or very slow moving subjects.

A few sample photos are attached. In one of them you can clearly see that the camera focused on an object in front of the man on the cell phone even though I had the single area focus on his face (at least I thought I did), and I was using AF tracking.

I would be interested in experiences if others with this combo. Also, would I be likely to have the same slow AF problems with other 4/3 lenses?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    I have used this lens on 4/3 cameras like E-620 and E-3 and even then it is "slow" focusing. Have had it send to Olympus service centre for inaccurate focus even when calibrated in the E-620.
    My wife is using it now for shooting birds on the feeder.

The lens is CDAF enabled so it should work with any m4/3 camera in AF mode. CDAF is also more accurate so you should not encounter the same problem I had with this lens.

All the other CDAF enabled 4/3 lenses (see biofos.com: Index to Olympus DSLR cameras & lenses. for which lenses) will focus faster but none as fast as native m4/3 lenses.

Have fun!
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    The 70-300 is actually fairly good in that respect, if it doesn't miss focus and have to go through the entire focus range.

CDAF-optimized 4/3 lenses are on average a bit faster, but not a lot. OTOH, all other 4/3 lenses are slower - some quite a bit so.

The problem I ran into with the 70-300 is light. My copy needed to be at f/8 to be decently sharp past about 150mm, at which point it was only really feasible to use it on bright days.