Olympus 70-200 type equivalent

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by woollyback, Jan 28, 2016.

1. woollyback

woollyback Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2015
    Rob
    Folks,

Looking for a bit longer reach than my 12-40 on M1. I am waiting for some real world reviews on the 100-400 but in the interim would like a 70-200 equivalent

Any thoughts - requirements are in order

Great IQ
    Cost
    Light (ish) weight
    non extending - just a personal preference but not a deal breaker

Confused by all the options so any help would be great

Cheers

Rob

2. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Well, assuming you mean a lens that fits the classic full-frame 70-200 mold in equivalent Field of View, the closest is the Panasonic Lumix 35-100 f2.8. The Olympus 40-150 f2.8 Pro is close at a 80-300 equivalency. But, both are around $1,000+. Great IQ, fast aperture, and build quality, but come at a cost.

If you're looking for something low-cost, there are a couple of Panasonic lenses and one other Olympus lens in the 35-150 mm (multiply by 2 to get FF equivalency) range. There are also 4/3rds lenses that can be used with an adaptor and still have autofocus and aperture control.

If you want something that is low cost so you can experiment, I'd recommend the Olympus 40-150 R lens, which can often be had for $99 new. Four Thirds | Micro Four Thirds | Products(Lenses). Cheap, light, compact, and not bad IQ. But it extends, as most of them do.

Quite a few choices actually. Understandingly confusing.
    Four Thirds | Micro Four Thirds | Products(Lenses)
    Four Thirds | Four Thirds | Four Thirds | Chart(Lenses)
    The Complete Micro 4/3 Lens List

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The Olympus 40-150 R is very cheap & decent & lightweight.

The Panasonic 45-175 is non-extending.

There's also a cheap Panasonic 35-100 (besides the f2.8 one).

Barry

4. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    I'd have to add my support for the Olympus 40-150mm f2.8 Pro
    Superb lens, and in my opinion, better than the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 I replaced.

Lots of excellent examples from this lens on here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Good point. Forgot about the little Panasonic 35-100.

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Panasonic 45-175mm would cover all of that criteria but is a little longer than you wanted (90-350 equiv). Panasonic 35-100 f4-5.6 covers everything but it does extend (although it's tiny so it isn't very long even when extended)

(Edit: guess others said the same thing, I responded without reading the other replies)

7. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Also low cost, but high on quality is the Olympus 4/3 50-200 SWD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I think if you want valuable feedback you need to provide greater clarification, otherwise "garbage in, garbage out"

...Any thoughts - requirements are in order

Great IQ -
    define this a little, great in relation to what? center only or whole frame? Wide open IQ or stopped down (and what kind of max aperture do you want)?
    Cost - state a actual budget, obviously the higher point 1 is the higher cost will be in most cases. This and point 1 kind of go hand in hand.
    Light (ish) weight - again in relation to what or what is the max weight you want? What about max aperture as this will have a great effect on weight?
    non extending - just a personal preference but not a deal breaker

9. woollyback

woollyback Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2015
    Rob
    folks thanks for the comments

heli-mech - to your point

Coming from Canon I would like IQ as good as 70-200 f4 non is when stopped down. not too worried about wide open

Budget <£300 and as light as a canon 70-200 f4 and fits Olympus M1

Am I looking for something that doesn't exist?

Rob

10. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    To add to what the others have said, I think that you should really try the Panasonic 35-100. It is compact and has good IQ (a little better than the O40-150R from the sample threads) and is available in the UK under 300 pounds. That way, once you get your 100-400, you will have all focal lengths covered.

11. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Not entirely familiar with the Canon lens so I briefly looked at a couple reviews, it looks to be a rather sharp lens. I would think you should probably be looking at the Panasonic 35-100mm 2.8, unfortunately I think you will have to increase your budget to get it even used. Usually it sells around $700US used, on the bright side its half the weight of the Canon. The cheaper lenses are all "good" but their IQ may fall short of your expectations.

12. woollyback

woollyback Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2015
    Rob
    Thank you - I feared you may be right with my cost estimate

13. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I agree with heli-mech. Unfortunately, for this comparison, the 70-200/4 non-is is a seriously good lens, and a major bargain on the used market (in the states, at least). m4/3s can give you a nice mix of less size/weight + decent to good IQ + low price, but you will need to make that IQ trade-off vs the Canon.

14. woollyback

woollyback Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2015
    Rob
    I want an IQ that meets the 12-40 f2.8 is that possible

15. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Again 35-100mm 2.8, the 12-40mm is a really good lens equal to most primes in its focal range.

16. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    My recommendation would still be to try the P35-100/f4 lens. Not sure what your use case is, but if you expect to use it occasionally to add reach to your 12-40 in outdoor situations, then you will do well with it. It fits in your original budget and meets your needs. Leaves you with more to spend towards the P100-400. And if you end up feeling that you need the f2.8, you can always upgrade in the future.

Take a look at a couple of reviews:
    Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm f/4.0-5.6 Asph Mega O.I.S. Review

Just to add, if you do decide to get the f2.8, there is one on the forums for around 500 pounds (located in the EU).

17. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Concur, if you're looking to match the IQ of the 12-40 Pro, then the Pana 35-100 f2.8 is your only choice, albeit more than you budgeted. The Canon 70-200 f4 is an L lens, so it's in Canon's Pro line. The Pana 35-100 f2.8 is about half the weight and almost 3" shorter than the Canon, just to give you an idea. Lists for $1,299, but can be found cheaper. The Olympus 40-150 f2.8 Pro is bigger, heavier, and more expensive than the Panasonic (though on sale for $1,299 right now), and is a little shorter, albeit a little heavier, than the Canon. Both are a full stop faster than the Canon.

Neither Olympus nor Panasonic have a pro-grade zoom in that range at f4. Their other zooms in that range are all consumer grade lenses. You know, if you say you're going to use it stopped down, some of the consumer grade lenses may well fit the bill, although they won't have the IQ of the pro-grade lenses. The newer Pana 45-150 f4-5.6 looks pretty decent. Though, if you end up shooting wide open often, you'd probably wish you had the pro-grade lenses.

If weight and size weren't concerns, the Olympus Zuiko ED 50-200 f2.8-3.5 SWD lens mentioned earlier is a bargain used and delivers excellent IQ. I have it, and love it, although it can be a bit of a beast to carry around. The heft makes for some steady shots, though. :)

18. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I have the 12-40/2.8 and the 35-100/2.8 and the IQ of the two lenses is superb. The only drawback to using both of these lenses is that they zoom in opposite directions. If price/size/weight is an issue the Panasonic 45-175/4-5.6 is a very good, small, light internally zooming, very good IQ lens. I very often take along that lens instead of the 35-100.

19. rboate

rboate Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 6, 2012
    I have had the Panasonic 35-100 F2.8 and sold it to get the Olympus 40-150 F2.8. Both lenses are excellent but I like the extra reach of the Oly lens. Be aware that the Olympus lens weighs more than 2x the weight of the Panasonic.