Olympus 7-14mm Pro- polarising effect?

I have just bought the 7-14mmm lens and having fun with it and getting used to its wide style. One question though, is it a characteristics of these wide lenses to have deep blue skies? a lot as if there is a polarising effect?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
Sometimes. Someone might be able to give a better answer than mine - but here goes. This particular image looks a bit underexposed - that's part of it. You really stopped down the aperture. Also: the wide angle of view at 7mm shows more of a range of shades and hues in the sky - from the brighter, pale, hazy horizon to the darker, deep-blue, cloudless apex; the camera's metering and dynamic range; and perhaps the position of the sun in the sky relative to your point of view.

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Yeah, you're a little unexposed as evidenced by the dust spot on your sensor showing up on the far left. I don't mind the look personally.

Thanks for your thoughts- I sent out before any edits. But was balancing between bright sand etc for exposure- it was about midday. Dust now blown away. Here is another picture- seemed that there may be somethig at play with a wide lens as you suggest Egregius V. Other pictures of the Opera House from different angles were not nearly so deep blues. No issues as far as I am concerned...just interested in the idiosyncracies; I am finding it a fun lens to challenge my approach
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell
I like those shots, and they’re a little under-exposed, which is probably how I’d have set them up too. About -0.3-0.7 on the dial.

They’re bright scenes, with bright reflective surfaces in the foreground (sand in the first, whatever those things are in the second - Sydney Opera House?). The camera’s going to go for a fast shutter speed and stopped down like that, you’ll get some blue sky.

It also looks like you’re somewhere near the equator or tropics. I find the light in those latitudes gets a bit dreamy in high sun.

Mack

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I agree that they are under-exposed, and by quite a bit too. You might want to look at your histogram and see where the white areas are showing up at. They should be far to the right but it might be the camera's metering is keeping them centered and underexposed. I do see a lot of EXIF's where people have some -0.7 dialed into their Olympus cameras. One airshow guy had his aerial images over-exposed by 1.3 stops.

I have that lens and found it to work better for me when I set the camera into HDR1 mode which seemed to produce the most even shots of building interiors and some outdoor scenes. In HDR-1 (i.e. E-M1 Mark II) it fires off three quick shots and combines the final. I've shot inside some dark buildings and it did get rather slow in the last shot, maybe 2 seconds with IBIS on, but they combined surprisingly well.

I've been playing around using a large white styrofoam ball and using the camera's spot metering mode and setting the exposure to +2.7 as read off the ball. You have to be close enough to the ball - or get a larger ball - so the spot will be at least a third the size of the ball or smaller since some of the meter's spot seems to bleed a bit. If the spot is the same size of the ball, it averages out wrong and you're back to where you started. Doing so maximizes the ETTR (According to FastRawViewer.) and the whitest, non-specualr white of the ball is up around RGB=247-253, and the specular flecks in it will go to RGB=255 as seen in Olympus Workspace. Zooming in on the ball will show a very faint bit of gray in the highlights, and the speculars will go white. Can't get much better than that, imho.

Back onto the lens, it's a nice lens though and plenty sharp.

nwphil

Mu-43 Regular
IMO and experience, it does sort do that a bit.... I have compared it to the 12-40 @ same focal length (12-14mm), but it is more evident @ 7mm.
metering mode will play a big influence here too - it just covers so much "space" that it is very likely one will end with stronger dark or bright zones in the composition, and one will be predominant, likely fooling the metering a bit.
I do have the impression that indeed renders a bit different than the 12-40 too, as giving a bit more deeper colors, while the 12-40, a bit more tack sharp and clear/bright

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom