1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 7-14mm,f4 or 7-14mm,2.8?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Speedliner, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    All that matters is IQ. Size doesn't. Speed does some. Price matters some but isn't the deciding factor.

Thoughts? The 2.8 makes more sense but the lure of the SHG vexes me.

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If IQ is the deciding factor, the Panasonic 7-14/4 seems worth considering. Better corners than either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I have recently acquired the 7-14 mm 2.8 Olympus, it is a very good lens and a great match for the OMD EM1. I'm not sure if the 4/3 version is any sharper but it is much bigger. Cameralabs have a nice review of both the old and new Olympus Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 review | Cameralabs

• Like Like x 1
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not sure that the P7-14 f/4 has better corners than the O7-14 f/2.8... The Olympus may be a bit weaker and suffer from slight field curvature close up at f/2.8 but by the time you stop down to f/4?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    From the reviews I got the impression that the Oly is slightly better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The field curvature is a problem, but even if you focus properly for the corners, there's still a sizable falloff in resolution between the center and the corners - 20%+ or so at 7mm and 10mm at most working apertures (f/2.8-5.6). The Panasonic's resolution falloff is much less. While it's true the Panasonic isn't quite as sharp in the center, it's not enough to negate the difference in the corners.

7. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Thanks for the input. I was wondering more about the two Olympus 7-14mm lenses.

The f4 used being less expensive, but the 2.8 being one of those lenses that just takes great pics. Not so many f4 examples, but that SHG glass must be. Don't see many sample of the f4's images.

The Pany takes some great pictures too, but I was thinking Oly on my Oly body.

8. RakSiam

RakSiam Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    I haven't used either of the others, but I have the f2.8 Pro and it is built like a tank. I dropped mine from waist high and from there it bounced down onto a stone floor about 2 or 3 feet below while touring the temples of Angkor. Luckily the lens cap was in place. I feared the worst, but it still works perfectly fine with just a scratch. Obviously that's a sample size of one, and I hope to never drop it again, but I am mighty impressed by the build quality.

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I have the P7-14/4. It's a a very sharp lens. No complaints there. Its Achilles heel is purple flare. Having said that, it's usually manageable and I've taken lots of great shots with it (nearly all on Oly bodies). It's maybe half the price of the Oly if you buy used.

10. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
  11. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    I use the Panasonic 7-14/4 on my Olympus bodies (EM5, EM5II, EM1) with no issues, though I did install the rear filter mod to take care of the purple flare problem. Would highly recommend this lens over either of the Olympus lenses which are way bigger.

12. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I remember reading two reviews that mentioned the old f4 compared to the 2.8. One said the f4 is showing its age. The other said the old f4 is sharper in the corners but has more of other aberrations - sorry, I don't remember exactly what, maybe it was purple fringe. FWIW I had more confidence in the second reviewer.

13. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Thanks. I lean towards the 2.8. The extra stop indoors could be useful and when looking at its showcase here, the images seem to have that special quality. Even more so than the other Pros.

The Pany is tempting at its price point too though.

14. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    That was my reason for the 2.8.